No announcement yet.

Glasses or Contacts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've worn contacts before, never bothered me just, made my eyes look a bit out of shape.

Comment

Originally posted by kman2 View Post
      I wouldn't try Lasik; I'm not too keen on the idea of having your eye cut up... plus there are some annoying side effects.

For those who have worn contacts, have you encountered any problems such as eye irritation, infection, etc.? I would like to think these happen very rarely.
      I have had lasik in both eyes. Twice, 4 years apart between times. The only side effect I have is dry eye. I had star bursting effects and haloing and all of that mess before lasik and to a small extent after the first time, but the new lasers really do a great job of fixing it all. I wore glasses my whole life and tried contacts. I was allergic to the contacts. So it was glasses or lasik.
      Thanks,
      Karri

Comment

I wouldn't try Lasik; I'm not too keen on the idea of having your eye cut up... plus there are some annoying side effects.

For those who have worn contacts, have you encountered any problems such as eye irritation, infection, etc.? I would like to think these happen very rarely.
        Have you read about Lasek? MUCH less cutting involved, with longer recovery time compared to Lasik.

I prefer glasses myself.
        Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

I had a spell (for a couple of days) which is fairly common where I had little red dots under my eyes, and they were quite itchy, but it passed very quickly. I honestly can say I've not had any other side effects other than that. They're great
          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Glasses
            TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Another thing I heard about Lasik was that your eyes revert back to the way they were before after a few years. I don't know if this is true or not.

Also, what's worse for your prescription -- glasses or contacts? I've had the same glasses for 6 years and whenever I get a new one my prescription worsens, so I'm not sure if I want to put up with that anymore.

Lol, everywhere else I posted this topic, contacts were in the lead, but here it seems like glasses are the choice.
              Last edited by kman2; Wed 22 Nov '06, 3:20pm.

Comment

Another thing I heard about Lasik was that your eyes revert back to the way they were before after a few years. I don't know if this is true or not.
                I haven't come across a fact to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
                  I haven't come across a fact to support it.
                  Same here; various people said it

Comment

I haven't heard of anyone going totally back to what they were before but you can regress some what. Before I had lasik I couldn't read the extra big number clock sitting on my night stand that was only about a foot away from my bed without my glasses. I was very near sighted with astigmatism. I had lasik years ago and had prefect vision with a little star bursting after that. About 3ish years after that I went back to the eye Dr for my check up and found out that I had regressed a bit. Not quite 20/20 anymore but I could get glasses or not. So the Dr suggested I try glasses for a bit if I wanted that extra boost and if I was happy with the vision we could talk about doing a touch up. (normally touch ups are done with in that first year I think) The glasses made a big difference so I went back for round 2. As of my last check up I was 20/20 in one eye and better than 20/20 in the other. The new lasers really do a much better job of fixing astigmatism and uneven eye surfaces and the star bursting is gone. I am a few years out of the second round of lasik and my vision is great.
                    Thanks,
                    Karri

Comment

Originally posted by Karri View Post
                      I haven't heard of anyone going totally back to what they were before but you can regress some what. Before I had lasik I couldn't read the extra big number clock sitting on my night stand that was only about a foot away from my bed without my glasses. I was very near sighted with astigmatism. I had lasik years ago and had prefect vision with a little star bursting after that. About 3ish years after that I went back to the eye Dr for my check up and found out that I had regressed a bit. Not quite 20/20 anymore but I could get glasses or not. So the Dr suggested I try glasses for a bit if I wanted that extra boost and if I was happy with the vision we could talk about doing a touch up. (normally touch ups are done with in that first year I think) The glasses made a big difference so I went back for round 2. As of my last check up I was 20/20 in one eye and better than 20/20 in the other. The new lasers really do a much better job of fixing astigmatism and uneven eye surfaces and the star bursting is gone. I am a few years out of the second round of lasik and my vision is great.
                      Your eyes got better without Lasik or surgery? How is that possible? If anything, wearing glasses makes your eyes worse.

Comment

Glassess, but then again, if you have some milk bottle bottoms ones, I'd prefer contacts. lol.

Comment

Your eyes got better without Lasik or surgery? How is that possible? If anything, wearing glasses makes your eyes worse.
                          As I said in my post I had lasik twice.
                          Thanks,
                          Karri

Comment

Well, I wore glasses and contacts for years before I had my eyes lasered (which should have been a third option in the poll).

As to which is better, it depends on the situation. Contacts will tend to dry out your eyes and make them irritated. However, if your eyes are pretty bad then glasses may give you that Coke Bottle effect, even with the "thin" versions like I had.

Of course, it also comes down to appearance. To be honest, some people look better with glasses than without. I was not one of those people but I know some who are.
                            Jason Litka - Utter Ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by jason|xoxide View Post
                              Well, I wore glasses and contacts for years before I had my eyes lasered (which should have been a third option in the poll).

As to which is better, it depends on the situation. Contacts will tend to dry out your eyes and make them irritated. However, if your eyes are pretty bad then glasses may give you that Coke Bottle effect, even with the "thin" versions like I had.

Of course, it also comes down to appearance. To be honest, some people look better with glasses than without. I was not one of those people but I know some who are.
                              It's probably only those squinty ugly people.

Karri no offense but that's a waste of money.

Comment

I have worn both and have gone back to glasses multiple times. I've tried all of the new contacts and my eyes still dry out. I've also gotten an infection in one of my eyes from itching them due to dryness. The glasses I have now are so light that I cannot feel them and they are rimmless so it's hard to tell that I have any on.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X