How bad is XP Pro x64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is XP Pro x64?

I am buying a new computer and would like to utilize all 4GB of my RAM. To do so, it's either wait for Vista (SP1?) x64 or go ahead and get XP Pro x64 now.

Everyone is trying to talk me out of getting x64 because it is apparently so bad and driver support is crappy. Though I would get you guy's opinions on this and see if anyone here was running XP Pro x64 with success. If so, did you have any problems with drivers, etc? Thanks.

It has its ups and downs but its more for AMD 64's, I use it my self, there are a few programs that do not work (ones designed for 32bit operating systems) But most do, same with drivers some work, but its more than likely you go to the manufactures website you will find drivers for x64 edition.

When vista becomes Final to public, I would give it a few months before using it because there will be lots of programs that won't work

Comment

Wait till vista dx10 is in vista.

Comment

Originally posted by SSSlippy View Post
        Wait till vista dx10 is in vista.
        Also wait a few months as there is only a couple of programs that work with it (I've used Beta's And Rc's)

Comment

Hey ~ Biker ~,

Do you think you could list some the programs/apps and peripherals that you have found not to work with x64 XP Pro? In your opinion, as a x64 version user, do you think it is worth someone to buy a new computer with the x64 version (especially if you have over 3 GB of RAM)? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
            Hey ~ Biker ~,

Do you think you could list some the programs/apps and peripherals that you have found not to work with x64 XP Pro? In your opinion, as a x64 version user, do you think it is worth someone to buy a new computer with the x64 version (especially if you have over 3 GB of RAM)? Thanks.
            Hes been using vista not x64.

Comment

I've used both SSSlippy, Currently using Windows XP Professional x64.

The only applications I have not been able to install are:
              Code:
              Zune theme pack (Edited to get it to work)
              Power archiver 2004 (Downloaded newer version to make it work)
              Application to make my old modem work (Brought a new router and am currently using it)
              Microsoft office 97 (Got 2003 and am using it)
              Printer Drivers that was on the CD (Not a problem just went up to the Epson website and downloaded the x64 Drivers)
              MSN Messenger 6.0 (8.0+ Work)
              Thats what I've hit so far the rest have worked.

If you have an AMD x64 I would recommend using x64 version of windows.

Comment

I would just wait for Vista. Like others have said, WinXP x64 edition still doesn't have nearly as much support as the standard x86 edition does.
                Forums

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
                  I am buying a new computer and would like to utilize all 4GB of my RAM. To do so, it's either wait for Vista (SP1?) x64 or go ahead and get XP Pro x64 now.

Everyone is trying to talk me out of getting x64 because it is apparently so bad and driver support is crappy. Though I would get you guy's opinions on this and see if anyone here was running XP Pro x64 with success. If so, did you have any problems with drivers, etc? Thanks.
                  I would have to agree about the driver problems. I built an XP 64 bit machine and then found certain things like the Serial Joystick connection on my motherboard is not supported in XP64 (apparently they have removed support now for "serial" joysticks in XP64), even though my ASUS motherboard claimed it was 64bit ready. Drivers can also be an issue like you say. Although more products for sale now come with XP64bit drivers, and some manufactures sites are releasing 64bit drivers for older hardware.

But I would wait for Vista now.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 17 Nov '06, 9:44am.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X