Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Vista is GOLD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Windows Vista is GOLD



    The long wait, finally, is over. On Wednesday, November 8, 2006, at 11:00 am PST, Microsoft announced that it had released Windows Vista to manufacturing, ending five years of waiting, and one of the longest development times in Windows history. For Microsoft, its partners, and customers, the lengthy ramp-up to Windows Vista finally concludes with Microsoft shipping the so-called "golden master" version of the product off to manufacturing and its closed partners.

    "We've really refreshed the user experience for the first time in a while with Windows Vista," Microsoft lead product manager Greg Sullivan told me in a recent briefing. "The performance, fit, and finish are going to surprise people. We've also worked a lot on the overall aesthetics, from the packaging, to the new icons, to the new system sounds."

    Microsoft says it will not repeat Windows Vista's lengthy development time. "Integration and innovation are hard to deliver at the same time," Sullivan said. "We will be more regular [with future Windows version releases] going forward."

    Windows Vista will launch in two separate events, one for businesses, and one for consumers, in November and January. Microsoft will rollout Windows Vista alongside a set of other products in this time period, including the 2007 Office System, .NET Framework 3.0, and Exchange 2007. In 2007, Microsoft will also ship a new Visual Studio version and the long-awaited Longhorn Server product line. "It's the largest launch wave that we've had in the history of the company," said Microsoft vice president Ron Markezich.

    I've been covering Windows Vista extensively for over five years, and the SuperSite for Windows has evolved into the number one Web site on the Internet for Vista-related content. Not surprisingly, I have a wealth of RTM content available now, with more coming in the near future:

    Source
    Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Thu 9 Nov '06, 5:56am.
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team


  • #2
    is Service Pack 1 ready yet?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Greps View Post
      is Service Pack 1 ready yet?
      Very amusing. Typical comment from the Anti-MS bandwaggon.

      I'm also going to take a wild shot in the dark and say that you never tried the beta/RC version of Vista. Had you actually used it, then you would know that even RC2 was pretty solid and was a huge improvement from the buggy beta version, hence the standard development cycle....
      Webmaster / Administrator
      www.MegaGames.com
      www.MGForums.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Vile View Post
        Very amusing. Typical comment from the Anti-MS bandwaggon.

        I'm also going to take a wild shot in the dark and say that you never tried the beta/RC version of Vista. Had you actually used it, then you would know that even RC2 was pretty solid and was a huge improvement from the buggy beta version, hence the standard development cycle....
        actually, I was being serious. I remember this was the case with Windows XP - Service Pack 1 was prepared even before XP went gold.

        Comment


        • #5
          What? I thought the official release date was 2007 or 2008.

          I heard Vista will *require* 1gb ram, and more ram if you want to run programs on it.
          Last edited by Dream; Wed 8 Nov '06, 12:06pm.
          Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for this thread (I saw this in a french annouce). Office 2007 is gold too (since some days)

            vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

            Next release? Soon(tm)

            Comment


            • #7
              Oh.. cool I guess.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Joe:

                Just a small point, but Wednesday [today] is November the 8th. the 11th is Friday.

                Regards,
                Slappy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Dream View Post
                  What? I thought the official release date was 2007 or 2008.

                  I heard Vista will *require* 1gb ram, and more ram if you want to run programs on it.
                  If you want to use a computer for anything, you need 1 GB of RAM anyway. Did you expect an operating system made years after the previous one to have the exact same system requirements?
                  --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                  Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                  vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dream View Post
                    What? I thought the official release date was 2007 or 2008.

                    I heard Vista will *require* 1gb ram, and more ram if you want to run programs on it.
                    Currently, my task manager has explorer.exe taking 15,792k of memory, and it's taking the most (excluding Firefox, since that's a given). I don't see Vista requiring 1GB of RAM unless you feel like running Firefox and a few games at once on top of it.

                    This is using Vista RC1, so unless they muсked it up in the final...
                    Last edited by Zachery; Sun 12 Nov '06, 8:26am.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dream View Post
                      What? I thought the official release date was 2007 or 2008.

                      I heard Vista will *require* 1gb ram, and more ram if you want to run programs on it.
                      Retail Mid-January 2007
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slappy View Post
                        Hey Joe:

                        Just a small point, but Wednesday [today] is November the 8th. the 11th is Friday.

                        Regards,
                        Friday is the rumoured date that the RTM release is to appear on MSDN..
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I won't be getting it, I am happy with XP.

                          We have two desktops and a laptop. One desktop and the laptop aren't powerful enough, and the other PC only has the minimum spec for Vista. I can't afford to upgrade my computers at the moment, so sorry Bill, I won't be in the rush.

                          I'll wait until I can afford a new high spec PC with Vista already on it and Vista has settled. XP is nice and stable, and the virus writers will of moved on

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by squall14716 View Post
                            Currently, my task manager has explorer.exe taking 15,792k of memory, and it's taking the most (excluding Firefox, since that's a given). I don't see Vista requiring 1GB of RAM unless you feel like running Firefox and a few games at once on top of it.

                            This is using Vista RC1, so unless they muсked it up in the final...
                            My friend that reviewed Vista did something wrong then. He said it used 1024mb memory and did 400mb swap, using RC2.

                            Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
                            If you want to use a computer for anything, you need 1 GB of RAM anyway. Did you expect an operating system made years after the previous one to have the exact same system requirements?
                            No, but needing 2gb ram for it seems a little steep.
                            Last edited by Zachery; Sun 12 Nov '06, 8:28am.
                            Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dream View Post
                              No, but needing 2gb ram for it seems a little steep.
                              Most games today require 2 GBs of ram to run as smoothly as possible. Sure it will run with less but it does better with more. With memory at about $100 per gigabyte, this is a minor concern for most people.
                              Translations provided by Google.

                              Wayne Luke
                              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                              vBulletin 5 API

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X