No announcement yet.

Zune or iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I am looking at the Zune. I wouldn't buy one until its a second generation product but looking at it. The reason? It would fit in with my current media stores (Napster, Urge, Wal-mart, XM, Movielink) and computer network better than an iPod does. That same reason is why we have players from Creative now and not iPODs.

I had though about getting my daughter an iPOD for Christmas but it would cost a couple of hundred dollars to repurchase her music for the player and have it easily organizable. She'll probably get one of the smaller Creative ones now.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
      Zune looks way to big and bulky for my taste... I'm sticking with my iPod.
      It's not that much bigger than a standard regular iPod.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        Personally I am looking at the Zune. I wouldn't buy one until its a second generation product but looking at it. The reason? It would fit in with my current media stores (Napster, Urge, Wal-mart, XM, Movielink) and computer network better than an iPod does. That same reason is why we have players from Creative now and not iPODs.

I had though about getting my daughter an iPOD for Christmas but it would cost a couple of hundred dollars to repurchase her music for the player and have it easily organizable. She'll probably get one of the smaller Creative ones now.
        I've just had my Creative Zen Vision: M sent back to me from repairs, I'm really hoping it keeps working this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Page View Post
          I've just had my Creative Zen Vision: M sent back to me from repairs, I'm really hoping it keeps working this time.
          Every manufactured product has a percentage of units that does not work or has limited functionality. It happens. I know people with iPods that didn't work out of the box as well. My father received a shuffle from his work that didn't shuffle. It only played 30 seconds of the same song over and over again.

Issues such as that are relatively easy to overcome. I am looking at it more from a ease of use and technology standpoint. Do I really want to convert approximately 4500 songs from 25 years of CD Collecting to another format when they already exist in WMA on my computer network? Do I want to repurchase the couple hundred songs that I have licensed from Napster over the last few years? Do I want to lose the capability of playing my hundreds of downloaded Napster-To-Go songs, which while not purchased are perfectly functional in almost all MP3 brands except the iPod while I have a Napster account? Do I want to lose the ability to play downloaded movies on my television through a media extender device such as the XBOX 360?

For me it comes down to a device which works with my existing media and one that does not.

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

That's actually not true. The Zune is not compatible with any of the PlaysForSure stores, it only works with the Zune Marketplace and DRM-free stores like eMusic.com.

Napster? Urge? Wal-mart? They're all getting screwed over by Microsoft in the Zune endeavour. For that reason alone, I would be hesitant to get a Zune as it is — what if MS fails to make a dent into Apple's iPod dominance with the Zune, are they going to try again with yet another approach? Third time's a charm?

Comment

Neither

Comment

I would simply pick ipod over zune. I am not into the video and extra details on the screen, and I like the slick design over the one from the zune. I am talking ipod shuffle or ipod nano max. The video ipod is too big. If I want a big video media player, I'd go with zune probably. Unless apple finally releases a widescreen video ipod that we all want

That said, unless I actually have a zune and ipod, and have the personal experience with both .. it's just an assumption as always. It's just too expansive to *try*

Comment

Still defiantly going for the 80GB iPod as it is the only decent looking MP3 player that can take most of my music collection in a lossless format. I'm pretty anal about audio quality .

Comment

Zune would have a better chance of eating away significantly at Apple's market share if they released some non-video models. Not everyone wants to shell all that money on a video compatible device, I certainly don't. With the iPod you don't have to, there is one to suit you. And they look better.

The Zune is only really in direct competition with the Video iPod so its threat to Apple is limited, especially when it comes out in the UK where their is bob all video content available for download in online stores due to copyright laws anyway. As it stands, I think the non-video versions of the iPod, especially the Nano, will continue to fly out of the shops, especially from parents for their kids this Xmas.
                    Last edited by Rob B; Wed 22 Nov '06, 11:32am.

Comment

Originally posted by Faruk View Post
                      That's actually not true. The Zune is not compatible with any of the PlaysForSure stores, it only works with the Zune Marketplace and DRM-free stores like eMusic.com.
                      Then it is back to Creative or iRiver for me. As simple as that. No way am I going to redo 3 years of music purchases.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Then it is back to Creative or iRiver for me. As simple as that. No way am I going to redo 3 years of music purchases.
                        There are some DRM strippers out there.

Comment

Originally posted by TruthElixirX View Post
                          There are some DRM strippers out there.
                          That would send mixed messages to my children. Follow the law except...

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

That would send mixed messages to my children. Follow the law except...
                            Fair Use is legal, though I suppose it depends on the license agreement you agreed to when purchasing you're music. I don't see the problem as long as you aren't P2Ping the files, giving them to friends, etc; if you're still just using them for personal use.

There are laws and there are morals. I buy all of my music from iTunes. If I want to use it on a player besides an iPod, I will.

Comment

I've always been of the opinion that if you pay for music you should be able to listen to it on whatever device you choose. It is in fact immoral of Apple and Microsoft (and others) to force customers into using one device to play back music, and in my eyes is a scheme simply to force users into using their devices. Since once they (the customer) have made a significant investment in their respective stores they would risk losing the purchases they made if they switch device. As far as I can tell it has no bearing on the legality of the file what so ever.

As long as any copies or changes are only used by yourself for yourself then I do not see any problem with removing the copy protection on MP3s. I doubt that you could be sued for doing so unless you broke an agreement and I doubt that it would stand up in court if you could prove that you did not share the files (hard to impossible to do, but likewise it is the same to prove that you did).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X