No announcement yet.

Internet Explorer 7 Final Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how I can install IE7 alongside IE6? I don't want to get rid of v6, but I definitely want to test stuff with IE7. Any idea? THanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
      Anyone know how I can install IE7 alongside IE6? I don't want to get rid of v6, but I definitely want to test stuff with IE7. Any idea? THanks.
      http://www.microsoftliveforums.com/f...=3931#post3931
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Those considering using IE7 might wanna read this: http://daggle.com/061016-142021.html

Comment

Thanks Joe, that's very handy.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMcL View Post
            Those considering using IE7 might wanna read this: http://daggle.com/061016-142021.html

Deleting the $windir$/SoftwareDistribution directory, then accessing Windows Update resolves this...

http://www.microsoftliveforums.com/f...ead.php?t=3508
            Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Thu 19th Oct '06, 8:43am.
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Hey Joe,

How do I unrar the .exe IE7 install file? Not sure what that means.

Comment

Hey Joe,

Nevermind on the unrar thing... I figured it out with WinRAR..

I followed the steps by deleting those specific files/folder and also created the text file as mentioned... but when I double click on iexplore.exe, I am getting this error. Perhaps you can shed some light. Screenshot attached:
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
                  Hey Joe,

Nevermind on the unrar thing... I figured it out with WinRAR..

I followed the steps by deleting those specific files/folder and also created the text file as mentioned... but when I double click on iexplore.exe, I am getting this error. Perhaps you can shed some light. Screenshot attached:

Use this distribution, i have already made the necessary changes, works fine on my system..

http://www.microsoftliveforums.com/m...XP-x86-enu.rar

If you still get that error, its because it cannot connect to the default IE configuration site, it might be bogged down, you might need to try it again later today..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                    I wrote the following tutorial for IE7 users, as quite a few of my members have been using it for a while (including myself).

These will answer questions that all vB admins will probably get as more people get IE7. Especially the post formatting popup one, which I am convinced vB will need to get round somehow in a future version.

Please feel free to use them in your own forums, no ackowledgement needed.

Change *yourdomain.com to your own root domain.

To get the following in bbcode format, press the QUOTE button and copy the bits you want from the text window.
                    =========================================================

Post Formatting Popups
                    To make the little popup boxes for things like inserting URLs work, you need to add this site to your list of Trusted Sites:

Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab
                    Under Trusted Sites press the 'sites' button
                    Add www.yourdomain.com to the trusted sites list.

Next, you need to enable popups from this site.

Tools > Popup Blocker > Popup Blocker Settings
                    Add the following to the allowed list:
                    *yourdomain.com

The above should allow the post formatting boxes to work.

The text is all funny!
                    IE7 uses 'Clear Type' fonts by default, regardless of the fact that you may have this switched off in Windows.

Some people like it, others hate it. If you hate it:

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
                    Scroll down to 'Multimedia'
                    Untick 'Always use clear type for HTML'
                    Click OK

Alternatively, if you DO like it, you can make everything in Windows use it. (This works even if you don't have IE7, it's a Windows XP setting).

Right click a blank area of the desktop
                    Select Properties
                    Click the Appearance Tab
                    Press the Effects Button
                    Look for "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"
                    Change to 'Clear Type"
                    Click ok all the way back out.
                    I love the clear type, and thanks to your tutorial I now have it all over win XP. I suppose it does help having a good monitor, for those who say the text is blurred.

I've never had any issues with Microsoft products, IE7 is great and i'm a big MS fan anyway. I always do updates and keep everything in order. I find that other programs installed have caused any errors I have had in my many years of computing and what not.
                    [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Interestingly enough that M/S also provides a toolkit/patch to prevent IE7 from automatically being installed too. Stating something to the effect that many companies may not want IE7 to be automatically distributed to their environments.

Comment

There are many specialized web apps that may have issues with IE7. So until they make sure they are compatible, they don't want all the employees to be automatically updated. Makes sense to me....
                        vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

I am liking IE7. Firefox has so many problems with major sites I use, such as online banking and the like. My bank site doesn't work with Firefox at all.

Comment

Worst toolbar/menu layout I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by klisis View Post
                              I am liking IE7. Firefox has so many problems with major sites I use, such as online banking and the like. My bank site doesn't work with Firefox at all.
                              Which bank do you use? I use Bank of America and Washington Mutual, and both of their sites render fine with Firefox.
                              Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                                Which bank do you use? I use Bank of America and Washington Mutual, and both of their sites render fine with Firefox.
                                It's a Korean bank as I am a Korean. They use ... um, what's that called ... you know some applet or scpirt that only runs on IE. I need that to use real-time banking.

Furthermore, many of entertainment sites in Korea are for IE only. Firefox won't even work at all. I don't know how good firefox is. I am not a programmar. So, I wouldn't know. But no matter how good it is code-wise, if it doesn't display webpages I must use, it's useless.

Comment