No announcement yet.

Vista licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone could have that from alt.binaries.cd.image..

Becareful with illegal versions, some have trojans in them...
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
      Anyone could have that from alt.binaries.cd.image..

Becareful with illegal versions, some have trojans in them...
      Well i don't have to worry about piracy, I get my Windows XP Pro's genuine for around £23 and I got me Windows Vista from Microsoft as I'm a system builder.

Comment

I dont believe anyone in this thread has an MSDN account, i know i dont.
        I have MSDN acccount. We're a Gold Certified Partner (Learning Solutions, Information Worker Solutions, Networking Infrastructure Solutions, Advanced Infrastructure Solutions). Got Vista Ultimate key and download from our MSDN account some days ago. I just checked to see if Vista is still there on our MSDN account, and it is. I'm a MCSE and MCT

When it comes to the urban legends about Vista Licensing, there is a good article here that clears up those (I know it has already been linked, but seems some missed it ). It's still a good read.
        http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase..._licensing.asp
        Last edited by TommyBALL; Sun 19th Nov '06, 8:39pm.
        MCP / MCSA / MCSE / MCT
        A few eggs short of a complete easter basket

vB 4.0.5+ CMS (No hacks), Windows Server 2008 R2 Ent, IIS 7.5, PHP 5.3+ (FastCGI), WinCache, Memcached, MySQL 5.1.45

Comment

I now have the same issue with my microsoft cd.

I have had nothing but trouble with the operating system and have slowly been converting to mac (received my mac pro the other day and made the switch 100%). I unfortunately had to test my hardware and re-install multiple times. And had the annoying popups and nag screens about product activation.

Enjoying for Microsoft probably I received the message today that my product code is no longer usable or it is no longer possible to activate my legally purchased windows xp professional, because it has been activated too many times. Oh my gawd, perhaps even 10 times? in the last 5 years?

Now I probably have to go through the trouble of contacting ms and wasting time and money to get a new product code or have them convince me I really need to buy vista or something. Ha! I doubt that.

I've paid for it, I feel i have the permission to run one instance. And that's what I am doing. Running one instance. Microsoft doesn't want me as a customer, so they just lost one. It's a win/win I guess.

I recommend on a personal based opinion to consider an alternative if you have enough reasons to not run windows. At this moment I prefer the mac os x 10.4, ubunto or gentoo linux or freebsd.

I've booted into linux and mounted my drives and transferred my important data over to the mac over the network. And put my windows licenses and Win32 softwares on sale on ebay and dutch secondhand sites to earn my money back. And invested in buying licenses for textmate, adobe, and some other stuff I'm using.

Sorry for my rant, but I hope you understand the frustration and arguments. I paid for it, but can't use it. I can't fix my system problems, I paid for hardware and can't restore or re-install the os because I've hit a limit they think is ' fair use '.

Comment

You are absolutely right.
            Last edited by JakeS; Mon 27th Nov '06, 2:02am.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              I now have the same issue with my microsoft cd.

I have had nothing but trouble with the operating system and have slowly been converting to mac (received my mac pro the other day and made the switch 100%). I unfortunately had to test my hardware and re-install multiple times. And had the annoying popups and nag screens about product activation.

Enjoying for Microsoft probably I received the message today that my product code is no longer usable or it is no longer possible to activate my legally purchased windows xp professional, because it has been activated too many times. Oh my gawd, perhaps even 10 times? in the last 5 years?

Now I probably have to go through the trouble of contacting ms and wasting time and money to get a new product code or have them convince me I really need to buy vista or something. Ha! I doubt that.

I've paid for it, I feel i have the permission to run one instance. And that's what I am doing. Running one instance. Microsoft doesn't want me as a customer, so they just lost one. It's a win/win I guess.

I recommend on a personal based opinion to consider an alternative if you have enough reasons to not run windows. At this moment I prefer the mac os x 10.4, ubunto or gentoo linux or freebsd.

I've booted into linux and mounted my drives and transferred my important data over to the mac over the network. And put my windows licenses and Win32 softwares on sale on ebay and dutch secondhand sites to earn my money back. And invested in buying licenses for textmate, adobe, and some other stuff I'm using.

Sorry for my rant, but I hope you understand the frustration and arguments. I paid for it, but can't use it. I can't fix my system problems, I paid for hardware and can't restore or re-install the os because I've hit a limit they think is ' fair use '.
              When it tells you that your product has been activated too many times. Did it not show you a phone number to contact MS over the phone. I had this same problem with both XP Home and XP Pro after installing too many times in the space of a month on two custom machines I built. I just phoned MS and they gave me a "new code" over the phone to enter to re-activate it again. Took 2 minutes to do.

The only question they asked me was "do i have it installed on more than one machine", I said no which was true. And they gave me the new code to re-activate it. No need to use cracks etc. Just phone MS and get it re-activated legit!

Here is a tip to gbet around this problem, use a neat little program called Drive Image 2002 to create an image of the OS once installed and activated without any drivers installed. Then if you have problems you can just restore the OS image already activated without any drivers installed etc (no need to re-activate again). Thats what I do, so you won't have that same problem again of installing the OS too many times and then trying to activate it. That way you can restore an clean install of the OS already activated as many times as you want without any drivers installed or software etc.

I use two "floppy boot disks" that contains the Drive Image 2002 program, that let me boot from computer switch-on, then restore the image to C: drive from my D: drive were it is stored. It also deletes the partition first before restoring the image. Absolute life saver of a program. That why Norton Ghost bought it out them ruined the program when they released a newer version of it under there own brand name. If your interested only use that version only. "Drive Image 2002".
              Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 22nd Nov '06, 12:10pm.

Comment

Or Acronis True Image. From a legal standpoint it's legal to copy an image and roll back to the point of stable OS operation without the need to reformat and reactivation.

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
                  Or Acronis True Image. From a legal standpoint it's legal to copy an image and roll back to the point of stable OS operation without the need to reformat and reactivation.
                  Nice, supports Windows Vista, i just might give it a try..

Thanks
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I'm saving up to buy 365 copies of windows vista each year.. because thats how many times i re-format my HDD a year.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeS View Post
                      I'm saving up to buy 365 copies of windows vista each year.. because thats how many times i re-format my HDD a year.
                      You reformat your hard drive every day?
                      Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                        You reformat your hard drive every day?
                        Yeah when I get bored.

Comment

Nice, supports Windows Vista, i just might give it a try..

Thanks
                          I haven't had the chance to use it on Vista (yet) but on XP Acronis True Image works a charm. It wasn't until I used an image program that I found out how powerful it was. Anyway, if you try it let us know how it goes.

Comment

The people here who downloaded the final version of vista, whats your views about it so far thats running it. How do you like it compared to XP.

Is it all you expected or are there some things you dislike in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Bolton View Post
                              The people here who downloaded the final version of vista, whats your views about it so far thats running it. How do you like it compared to XP.

Is it all you expected or are there some things you dislike in it.
                              I use to like it about the same as XP, but the more i used it, the more i liked it..

It's "Very Secure" and you can tell it's coded in such a way that it will prevent alot of exploits against Windows "As Windows is of course the focus of exploits".

I also never use to like the new start menu in Vista, but now that i am use to it, i like it better then XP's start menu..
                              I would give it a ranking of 9/10..
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
                                I haven't had the chance to use it on Vista (yet) but on XP Acronis True Image works a charm. It wasn't until I used an image program that I found out how powerful it was. Anyway, if you try it let us know how it goes.
                                Used it on Windows Vista Ultimate, it backed up great.
                                I havent used the restore feature yet, but i am sure it will restore just fine.
                                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X