Vista licensing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcipdns
    but there is definately a way to ensure that piracy doesn't occur, while allowing for normal things such as loss of a computer, or data loss.
    When you come up with a full-proof (piracy) scheme, please let us know.

Plus, there's nothing in the EULA that states if a computer goes bad a customer is required to purchase new software. Please read post #13. If you have an issue with hardware and re-activation is required, simply contact MS support and they'll more than likely help you through your ordeal.

Originally posted by mcipdns
    No other company on the planet is as Hitler-esque as GatesSoft.
    References, such as the one you made above, is not necessary.

Comment

Let me try and wrap my head around this.

In Windows XP, you can install the OS any number of times you wish if certain identifiers haven't changed. If they have, you need to call MS and get approval to reinstall. I *think* I'm correct so far; if not, slap me and correct me.

How has this changed(if at all) in Vista?

Comment

If by "identifiers" you mean hardware changes then not necessarily. The activation will kick in if you reinstall the software (such as reformatting which many of use do regularly) multiple times even if you maintain the same hardware each time. The activation will also kick in if you reinstall the software just once but changed more hardware than the tolerance allows (reference to hardware hashing and point system). In either case, MS support will generally allow the activation to go through without hassle.

The above is for XP. Windows Vista, as far as I'm aware, will allow for more tolerance (hardware changes) than with XP. Whether you can activate electronically or by MS (human) support will most likely depend on the type of hardware you change at a given time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
          Too many problems and wasted licenses changing hardware, now check out my avatar
          Hey Sergio. Let me point out that predatory Apple charged a cool 1K for every dot server upgade unless you bought their upgrade protection policy. Every time they changed cats it cost server owners a thousand bucks.

I'll take M$.

BM

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
            REformats yes, if its on the same machine all hardware included/
            Hey Zach is VB speaking for M$ now? How do you know so much about M$ policy there at VB? Seems these inquiries should be redirected.

BM

Comment

First, it's Microsoft, not M$. Stop with the childish spelling. Nothing personal, but it's so immature when people spell it like that. Of course Microsoft is out to make a profit. That's the point of going into business. That's what Microsoft, Apple, Google, Yahoo, and yes, Jelsoft, have all aimed for during operations.

Second, Zach is a normal person, not just a moderator here. There's no reason he can't know something about Vista licensing nor have his opinions voiced.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by bigmix View Post
                Hey Zach is VB speaking for M$ now? How do you know so much about M$ policy there at VB? Seems these inquiries should be redirected.

BM
                Honestly, because I was once a Network/Sys admin in a medium sized Microsoft network that consisted of 100 local pc's and and about 500 region laptops. I've also done extensive training for microsofts tests and products, as well as placing high in national competitions for Microsoft based skill tests.

Comment

Microsoft needs to be sued, and not by the goverment either. I bought XP Professional and have reformatted many times, had to call to get reactivated many times.

It's a thorn in my side, Microsoft actually invites Piracy of their software by doing this.

It doesn't hurt the pirates, but it is an annoyance to the legal users.

Comment

Damn, When I had the RC1 on my machine, and I built a new one i put the hard drive from the old one to my new one, and carried on using windows vista, I must've broke the Eula

Because technically it is a trasfer because it had to detect all the hardware again.

I've done it 3 times.

Comment

Originally posted by ~Biker~ View Post
                      Damn, When I had the RC1 on my machine, and I built a new one i put the hard drive from the old one to my new one, and carried on using windows vista, I must've broke the Eula

Because technically it is a new machine because it had to detect all the hardware again.
                      Microsoft lets you activate an unlimited number of times, during beta and RC stages..
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
                        Microsoft lets you activate an unlimited number of times, during beta and RC stages..
                        I Didn't even need to activate, still said activated, I've also just tried it on Windows Vista RTM (Orignal RTM Before you MSDN People got your hands on it, still works.

Comment

I Didn't even need to activate, still said activated, I've also just tried it on Windows Vista RTM (Orignal RTM Before you MSDN People got your hands on it, still works.

I dont believe anyone in this thread has an MSDN account, i know i dont.
                          We got it because we tested Vista from the get go, and downloaded it from https://connect.microsoft.com
                          There are beta testers that have posted in this thread like AWS, and i happen to be on the Vista beta team, which has obviously been discontinued..
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I dont believe anyone in this thread has an MSDN account, i know i dont.
                            We got it because we tested Vista from the get go, and downloaded it from https://connect.microsoft.com
                            Well before you testers got it, I got my one before testers and Microsoft Dating Network got it.

Comment

Well before you testers got it, I got my one before testers and Microsoft Dating Network got it.
                              Probably the billgates_RTM version, am i right??
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Probably the billgates_RTM version, am i right??
                                The Actual Release to Manufactures put that way.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X