Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There have been many programs in the past that promised to always be free and later became payware, from IPB to X Setup Pro to iArt. You can't expect software developers to operate at a loss forever.
    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
      I've seen the new features for IPB 2.2 and have to say that most of it looks like bloat to me. Also I think I must be the only person who thinks that IPB forums look ugly 9 times out of 10. Oh well, to each his own.
      I agree with you Cromulet. IPB is bloated and very much a pain in the rear when it comes to installing mods. VB is much better in the long run. If you make a mistake when editing the templates from the vb acp you can revert them back to the original As far as i remember you never could do that with IPB.
      JayGreentree
      CEO JLG Media Inc

Comment

Originally posted by jaygreentree View Post
        I agree with you Cromulet. IPB is bloated and very much a pain in the rear when it comes to installing mods. VB is much better in the long run. If you make a mistake when editing the templates from the vb acp you can revert them back to the original As far as i remember you never could do that with IPB.
        It can revert, when it was IPB 2.0 Trial, already using it

Comment

It is possible to revert template changes in IPB, as well.
          Forums

Comment

it will be another way round, actually. IPS will take Jelsoft's customers because of their product line. why go with vBulletin and then look for an integrated gallery/blog solution that actually WORKS if you can go with the IPS Community Suite? and what if you have 2 or more different sites that need to share the same user database? it's easy enough if you're an IPS customer, just install Converge, whereas if you want to achieve the same with vB, you'll have to pay god knows how much for a modification.

having said that, IPS wins in the long term. vBulletin may stay the best forum software out there for a long time, but the fact is, it's not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
              it will be another way round, actually. IPS will take Jelsoft's customers because of their product line. why go with vBulletin and then look for an integrated gallery/blog solution that actually WORKS if you can go with the IPS Community Suite? and what if you have 2 or more different sites that need to share the same user database? it's easy enough if you're an IPS customer, just install Converge, whereas if you want to achieve the same with vB, you'll have to pay god knows how much for a modification.

having said that, IPS wins in the long term. vBulletin may stay the best forum software out there for a long time, but the fact is, it's not enough.
              You raise some good points. I think you're correct. Web sites are evolving to the point where a bulletin board isn't enough anymore.
              Forums

Comment

I don't think it ever was enough really.

Comment

Companies that compete with eachother because they offer the same services, products, are giving the customers a choice. This is a good thing.

Some people choose phpBB because they can't afford buying a commercial license. Some people buy IPS because it has products that vBulletin or UBB currently does not have. Everybody else buys vBulletin because it has things that none of the others have.

Customers should buy the software that suits their web site.

Thankfully phpBB, IPS, vBulletin, UBB, etc all have convert scripts or services that allow one customer to move between companies.

phpBB might be free, but over time people find the money to buy the license and they can feel happy that they didn't waste their time on phpBB because we have an impex import script. To just give an example.

It's not a matter of who's the best, it is a matter of what you need and want as a customer. And just as it is IPS's job or phpBB's job to fulfill this need, it is also Jelsoft's job to do that.

Surely there are a lot of people who desire additional products to power their site. vBulletin currently has the forum software and the impex software. And vBulletin.org unofficial resources to plug in to vBulletin. But don't forget please that the majority of our customers still come to our site because they need a forum. Not because they need a blog.

That said, I really hope to see times change and Jelsoft offering additional products and services. Hopefully in the future we will see official modules appear. Especially now with web 2.0 hype running around the web that every dotcom company finds out that there is a need for community driven sites. A forum might not be enough anymore. And IPS seems to jump on this bandwagon quite early. And hopefully Jelsoft does it correctly. Version 3 of vBulletin has already proven that the software is flexible, dynamic and secure. And everybody can use it to enhance their site. I see our competitors taking a different approach to this, some are even adding it around their product rather then with(in) their product.

I need a forum for my sites. That's what I want, as a customer I prefer vBulletin and I'd like additional sections on my site such as a staff blog, or a community gallery, or like I am using now, a chat section, etc. For me, as a customer of vBulletin also, I am not feeling the urge to move to IPS or other competitor software; vBulletin is flexible and dynamic enough to quickly integrate third party software with. Such as gallery software, SEO software, blog software, directory software, etc. The API, data managers, hook system, template system, etc makes vBulletin basically the framework for someone to build a complete web site around.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    Companies that compete with eachother because they offer the same services, products, are giving the customers a choice. This is a good thing.

Some people choose phpBB because they can't afford buying a commercial license. Some people buy IPS because it has products that vBulletin or UBB currently does not have. Everybody else buys vBulletin because it has things that none of the others have.

Customers should buy the software that suits their web site.

Thankfully phpBB, IPS, vBulletin, UBB, etc all have convert scripts or services that allow one customer to move between companies.

phpBB might be free, but over time people find the money to buy the license and they can feel happy that they didn't waste their time on phpBB because we have an impex import script. To just give an example.

It's not a matter of who's the best, it is a matter of what you need and want as a customer. And just as it is IPS's job or phpBB's job to fulfill this need, it is also Jelsoft's job to do that.

Surely there are a lot of people who desire additional products to power their site. vBulletin currently has the forum software and the impex software. And vBulletin.org unofficial resources to plug in to vBulletin. But don't forget please that the majority of our customers still come to our site because they need a forum. Not because they need a blog.

That said, I really hope to see times change and Jelsoft offering additional products and services. Hopefully in the future we will see official modules appear. Especially now with web 2.0 hype running around the web that every dotcom company finds out that there is a need for community driven sites. A forum might not be enough anymore. And IPS seems to jump on this bandwagon quite early. And hopefully Jelsoft does it correctly. Version 3 of vBulletin has already proven that the software is flexible, dynamic and secure. And everybody can use it to enhance their site. I see our competitors taking a different approach to this, some are even adding it around their product rather then with(in) their product.

I need a forum for my sites. That's what I want, as a customer I prefer vBulletin and I'd like additional sections on my site such as a staff blog, or a community gallery, or like I am using now, a chat section, etc. For me, as a customer of vBulletin also, I am not feeling the urge to move to IPS or other competitor software; vBulletin is flexible and dynamic enough to quickly integrate third party software with. Such as gallery software, SEO software, blog software, directory software, etc. The API, data managers, hook system, template system, etc makes vBulletin basically the framework for someone to build a complete web site around.
                    These are all good points, as well. Hasn't it been stated though that Jelsoft is working on other scripts that tie into vBulletin?
                    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                      I've seen the new features for IPB 2.2 and have to say that most of it looks like bloat to me. Also I think I must be the only person who thinks that IPB forums look ugly 9 times out of 10. Oh well, to each his own.
                      ok ok admit it. Who didnt see my reply coming. LOL

Anyways. While each has their own opinions, IPB destroys VB in terms of 'looks'. You can always usually tell if its a vbulletin forum you are visiting. Is that a bad thing? For layouts sake no. You know usually where most of the buttons and features are. But for appearance sake, VB looks too 'rectangular'. Too tabled. Too much the same. The skins that Dragonfly makes for IPB really show off IPB's templating system. I have seen some decent VB skins, but once again most fall into the typical VB trap of looking too much the same. Whereas many IPB skins don't even look like they are for IPB. Look at DragonFlys I-Tab skin for example. I have yet to see a VB skin get even close to something like that. I dare anyone to find a VB skin that looks even remotely close to those in terms of smoothness, sharpness, uniqueness, and doesnt give the appearance it could be VB they are using.

As for bloat I find that amusing. Alot of people seem to think VB 3.6 is too bloated. And everytime IPB, VB, or anyone else seems to release forum software updates and additions, its always getting too bloated. Too bloated for you, but maybe not enough for others. And for some others it still may not have the features they want or need. Welcome to progression. How much you wanna bet that when VB 4 comes out, some will complain its 'too bloated'. So trying to say IPB is the only one bloated, guess what, there are just as many thinking the same thing about VB.

Originally posted by jaygreentree View Post
                      Read the post above. And yes you can revert templates.

Comment

As for bloat I find that amusing. Alot of people seem to think VB 3.6 is too bloated. And everytime IPB, VB, or anyone else seems to release forum software updates and additions, its always getting too bloated. Too bloated for you, but maybe not enough for others. And for some others it still may not have the features they want or need. Welcome to progression. How much you wanna bet that when VB 4 comes out, some will complain its 'too bloated'. So trying to say IPB is the only one bloated, guess what, there are just as many thinking the same thing about VB.
                        When I said bloat I should have said unimaginative. There were no new features that had that 'wow' factor about it. Most of it was stuff that can already be done in other software out of the box (*cough*) and the stuff that isn't is pretty pointless or at least only useful in a very few situations.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
                          ok ok admit it. Who didnt see my reply coming. LOL

Anyways. While each has their own opinions, IPB destroys VB in terms of 'looks'. You can always usually tell if its a vbulletin forum you are visiting. Is that a bad thing? For layouts sake no. You know usually where most of the buttons and features are. But for appearance sake, VB looks too 'rectangular'. Too tabled. Too much the same. The skins that Dragonfly makes for IPB really show off IPB's templating system. I have seen some decent VB skins, but once again most fall into the typical VB trap of looking too much the same. Whereas many IPB skins don't even look like they are for IPB. Look at DragonFlys I-Tab skin for example. I have yet to see a VB skin get even close to something like that. I dare anyone to find a VB skin that looks even remotely close to those in terms of smoothness, sharpness, uniqueness, and doesnt give the appearance it could be VB they are using.

Read the post above. And yes you can revert templates.
                          One of the best skins I've seen and use for vB, for my Mac Forum, is from http://www.aqua-soft.org/board

That skin is the sites main skin, which is avalable when you donate any amount, an you get all the updates to upcoming skins, including phpbb which is already out, and they are working on a IPB skin.

phpBB skin

Comment

Originally posted by biggyme14 View Post
                            One of the best skins I've seen and use for vB, for my Mac Forum, is from http://www.aqua-soft.org/board

That skin is the sites main skin, which is avalable when you donate any amount, an you get all the updates to upcoming skins, including phpbb which is already out, and they are working on a IPB skin.

phpBB skin
                            I remember that forum from a while ago... I love that style. The way they handle registrations (the register page) is very nice.
                            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Yes it is, and the buttons on the top left and the top right hand corners.
                              Very Mac like, and very affordable.

Comment

I completely agree with Floris when it comes to down to whats best for your needs. I used to use IPB for my blog site when it was free to handle user registrations (as well as the community and support) when people signed up for a blog. Once IPB changed to a paid license I needed to make a choice in what software I wanted to use.

In the end I went with vBulletin and have loved everything about it. It works great for my community and works perfectly side by side with our blogging stuff.

So as Floris said some people just need a forum and that is what we needed. I can see other people wanting the extra services built in but it's just not something we needed or cared for. I think both products have their pros and cons but it all comes down to what you need in the end.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X