Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you make sure your vBulletin validates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you make sure your vBulletin validates ?

This is not a problem if you just use the default template, but for all of us that are using a customized template, this is a poll for you.

I always make sure my sites and forums validate. I use this tool to test:

http://validator.w3.org/
    Yes
    58.14%
    No
    41.86%

For all styles I'm using, I assume to check my templates to be 100% validate XHTML.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Of course.

Comment

Yep. Sure do!

Comment

No.

This obsession with standards and perfection has got totally out of hand. In many cases, something that works perfectly well doesn't validate, and the standards geeks will tell you smugly "there is no way to do that and have it validate, so you can't do it". What Earthly use is that?

I make sure my site works in all the main browsers. That's good enough for me.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.2 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            No.

This obsession with standards and perfection has got totally out of hand. In many cases, something that works perfectly well doesn't validate, and the standards geeks will tell you smugly "there is no way to do that and have it validate, so you can't do it". What Earthly use is that?
            You will have more chance of compatibility across multiple browsers if you meet the standards. But I agree to some extent in what you are saying, it's not 100% vital to validate. But considering IE7 is now standards-compliant, now would be a good time to brush up your code. And it doesn't take any longer developing a site to be standards-compliant than non-compliant.
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

No.

Spot on with those comments if you ask me. I agree with you entirely.
              "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

I generally don't, as most of my "custom templates" are just color edits of the stock layout.
                Forums

Comment

No.

I agree with you. I do the samething aswell.
                  Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Yes, Of Course I Do

Comment

I've been trying to lately, its a nice feeling when you know that you validate after hours of work, whats hard though is getting every page to.

Comment

No.

100% agree!
                        That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                          You will have more chance of compatibility across multiple browsers if you meet the standards. But I agree to some extent in what you are saying, it's not 100% vital to validate. But considering IE7 is now standards-compliant, now would be a good time to brush up your code. And it doesn't take any longer developing a site to be standards-compliant than non-compliant.
                          It does and it doesn't. You can build a fully W3C compliant site and still it does not render the same way with the different browsers. While I am concerned about being compliant my priority is to have the site displayed the same across browsers.

Though, while many will claim not, you can validate and have sites render nearly identical (to the pixel) across major browsers.

Comment

Whether or not the styles are rendered pixel-perfect across different browsers depends on things like what units you use, too.

I assume this thread is about valid markup, so I have to say I'm in the middle. I strive for perfection and will fix any little errors, but I won't go so far as to prevent user-generated content from invalidating my page (e.g. by their copied-and-pasted characters).

CSS, on the other hand, are even more painful to work with in IE <7 (hopefully 7 will have full/better support). I don't use hacks, so for now I just use conditional comments to load an additional CSS with "improper styling" for IE. I can usually end up with pixel-perfect rendering across all browsers with the exception of things like input fields and select dropdowns over which we have no control.

Comment

I´m suprised - seems like the members are split in half with this. Some say: of course, others couldn´t care less.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X