Guitar string insurance? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar string insurance? lol

So, today I finally get around to ordering myself new strings for my acoustic, after my G-string broke about a month ago. I start slowly turning the machinehead on the G-string after securing the peg in the soundbox properly and *SNAP*. Needless to say I'm more than annoyed, could it be a bad batch of strings or do you think it's more than a co-incidence that it's the G-string that has snapped again before I've even started playing?
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

It is often useful to attempt to adjust new strings in stages, starting with the strings at a lower "off pitch" and allowing them to "stretch" for awhile before tightening them down further. It might be an issue of how "high" a pitch you have on your strings and whether or not you were attempting to tune the string to a "relative" pitch, compared to the other strings, or to some "pitch" tool, which gives a more "absolute" pitch to attempt to reach. I understand, from those who play more frequently than I do, that "quality" of the strings can also vary significantly.

That's why I actually prefer playing my electronic keyboard, which has a "touch sensitive" keyboard, rather than my "real" piano. It never breaks a string and doesn't go out of tune. One can also play it at 3:00 a.m. with earphones, without disturbing anyone else who might prefer to be sleeping at that hour.

Regards,
    Slappy

Comment

lol guitar is fun

Comment

Originally posted by slappy View Post
        It is often useful to attempt to adjust new strings in stages, starting with the strings at a lower "off pitch" and allowing them to "stretch" for awhile before tightening them down further. It might be an issue of how "high" a pitch you have on your strings and whether or not you were attempting to tune the string to a "relative" pitch, compared to the other strings, or to some "pitch" tool, which gives a more "absolute" pitch to attempt to reach. I understand, from those who play more frequently than I do, that "quality" of the strings can also vary significantly.

That's why I actually prefer playing my electronic keyboard, which has a "touch sensitive" keyboard, rather than my "real" piano. It never breaks a string and doesn't go out of tune. One can also play it at 3:00 a.m. with earphones, without disturbing anyone else who might prefer to be sleeping at that hour.

Regards,
        Hey slappy, I always spend about 2-3mins on each string slowly tuning them up to stop things like this happening. And they're really good strings (Elixir POLYWEB Custom Light). I've restrung my guitar more times than I can remember, as I'm very picky over the sound quality and the wear-and-tear of my strings.

Comment

I hate it when G-strings snap. But maybe I'm thinking of different G-strings.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
            You thought Dean C's Gstring snapped? omg steve, roflmao You made my day

Comment

based on his first post it looks like he's breaking a lot of g-strings but he bought an entire batch this time so he should survive. I think pyro on vbfans has this same problem, he goes through a lot of g-strings too

Comment

Is that a wind instrument ?
                Last edited by Neal-UK; Thu 28 Sep '06, 9:50pm.
                [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

I guess what I'm asking is would I have a chance of trying to get the company to send me another set out for free. I'm so sure this is a bad batch as I've never had this happened before.

Comment

It's worth a call or email to ask. The worst they can say is "no."

Regards,
                    Slappy

Comment

Do you think you could get the company to insure those too? I imagine one of those snapping could be a bit...awkward. If you ever scream during phone support, atleast we'll know what happened.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X