Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zonex
    replied
    A big fat zero! I have never made it possible for users to contact me. I have my domain set as :fail: and turn off any of vb's built in contact options.

Lifes too short

Leave a comment:

• Laurie
    replied
    How many registrations a day? Anywhere from three to 10. Sometimes more.

I get very few "I didnt get my confirmation email, can you send it please"
    Maybe two or three every few weeks. Since all registrations are manually confirmed, no one gets an automatic email anyway. I do have a Stickie in our General Discussion forum telling them what to expect. But how many actually read this?

I used to send out emails to let people know until this current rash of spambots/spammers started nearly two months ago. Now I just check out and delete any who show up on spamlists. Or posting in several different sites on the same day. Anyone who is legit is confirmed and gets a PM as I figure if they took the time to register, then they will come back and see this. Only a few now will get a personal confirmation email anymore.

What I do get most of are emails from long time members who forgot their passwords. Or came back from a long spell being away to find their old accounts are disabled. This happens everytime the boards are upgraded a few accounts get set back to 'user waiting confirmation"

If not the above, it's some questions about the game. Being stumped in a level and asking for helpful hints from the Admin (although there is a "Technical Help&Spoilers" forum). I either answer these outright OR send them the "Spoilers link" url from the website. If it's about editing, mapping, skinning, mods or mutator making.... they are directed to the proper forum link to post in.

Occasionally, I am asked if I could send them a particular map or other game material. They are told to post the request instead as there is no way could I keep all the maps made for the game. Although I do have some of the early rarer ones.

But most of my emails are requests from the mappers, modders and Clan sites to put up new info in my website's "News".

Leave a comment:

• Sergio68
    replied
    Originally posted by hornstar6969 View Post
    I'm just wondering how many emails a day do you get from guests/members who say things like:
    I didnt get my confirmation email, can you send it please.
    or
    I cant download, how do I download...
    or
    I cant log on to the site, it wont stay logged on.

etc.

Emails where people obviously cant read or use some common sense.

I have installed several mods to help deal with this but it doesnt seem to have helped that much.

Most of the emails come from hotmail, yahoo and aol because of the spam filters in place from those services, but most my members are 18 or under so nothing much you can do about that because disabling those emails would be silly for my site.

Well I get about 400-500 registerations a day. I get about 40 emails in a 24 hour period relating to questions like the above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    • So how many emails do you get?
    • How many registerations a day do you get?
    • What are ways/things that you are/have put in place to try and help this. / Which things do you feel have worked best.

What other kind of emails do you often get that are quite annoying from guests.

Just wondering how much this occurs with other forum owners, because it was really bugging me today after not being able to check my email for a few days lol.
    From members with problems I get just a few, some a day.

General emails... A LOT, I have email addresses since 1999, probably they could be into every spam list in the whole world.

Leave a comment:

• cyburbia
    replied
    Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post
    I am amassed though at the amount of people that still put their full e-mail address in their username area and if not that, get their e-mail address totally wrong by adding more .uk.com's in them....
    I get that quite a lot. I think it's because urban planners -- the profession my board caters to -- are very attached to their mailing lists, and message boards are still an alien concept to them. The forum email account often receives messages with one-line listserv commands, and on rare occasions someone will actually post them to the board!

Here's a particularly rude email I got not too long ago ...

Never seen anything like it. Is it planning or puzzle-making you enjoy most? So, what is so special about your list that necessitates such obfuscation? Tell me about subscribing and why I should want to bother after so much frustration?
    I googled the sender's name and got hundreds of hits - all on listserv posts.

Leave a comment:

• Neal-UK
    replied
    Apart from the odd spam, I do get people asking questions daily:

Hi Neal, thanks for the info,however being sixpence short of a shilling,my next question, what do i do next

------------------

TO THE ADMINISTRATOR.
    THIS IS MY NAME AND E-MAIL ADDRESS. AS ABOVE.
    THANK YOU.

------------

I havent received an email from you so i cant post!

-------------
    But I also get one or two good e-mail from those who have found a friend or something else:

Hi Neal,

I havn't spent much time on Burnley web for a while. But I have just been checking it out today and really enjoyed the photo's of the streets. I used to live in ********* and the ******* area, and it brought back many memories of my youth. I left the UK in ****** to live in ********* where i have been eversince.

I returned home in **** to be with my Mother after my Dad died and remember getting myself some good old fish and chips from the chippy on ********, just up from ***********. I'm told the chippy won prizes for being the best chippy in town. all I can remember is they were very good.

But thanks for the pics of streets once again.

Kind regards ****
    I am amassed though at the amount of people that still put their full e-mail address in their username area and if not that, get their e-mail address totally wrong by adding more .uk.com's in them....
    Last edited by Neal-UK; Thu 28 Sep '06, 5:41am.

Leave a comment:

• textilebbs
    replied
    10 everyday

Leave a comment:

• hornstar6969
    replied
    I think my site must have been some how added to a google spanish search engine, because this last week I have seemed to have a lot of spanish people sending me emails, obviously cant read them so I just delete them, but they are probably saying, how do I download in spanish lol.

Leave a comment:

• Lenni
    replied
    I don't care for people sending me emails. They are forwarded to some kind of old adress that is flooded with thousands of spam messages anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Last Monday was 4139 emails and 437 meg of attachments.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I get so many I hardly even use email anymore. I only check for mail if I expect someone to mail me something. And if I then notice that someone else tried to contact me I look into that too. I use my vbulletin.com account pretty serious as it is obviously related to work; and I check my gmail account for everything else. All other mails are forwarded to it these days anyway.

But damn, people send a lot of crap to it

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    I get a few a week, most times it is unregisted people spamming..

Leave a comment:

• jeremy90
    replied
    i get around 2-5 a day

Leave a comment:

• filburt1
    replied
    I have long since blackholed everything from my site's no-reply address because of stupid users replying to automated messages.

Leave a comment:

• hornstar6969
    replied
    Originally posted by cyburbia View Post
    A couple of weeks ago, I got one that posted angry, ALL UPPERCASE replies to normal vBulletin-generated validation messages!

[Email 1]
    I CANNOT FIGURE THIS CRAP OUT................I HAVE TRIED AND HAVE TRIED
    AND HAVE TRIED.......SCREW THIS-NOW I AM ANGRY. THANKS FOR NOTHING

[Email 2]
    I KNOW MY DARN NAME AND I ALSO KNOW MY DARN PASSWORD AND IT WILL NOT TAKE
    IT...IM MADDER NOW THAN A HORNET

[Email 3]
    YOU SITE SUCKS

[Email 4]
    HEY-I THINK YOUR PAGE IS JUST A RACKET TO GET PEOPLE'S E-MAIL
    ADDRESSES...AM I CORRECT???
    YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF

[Email 5]
    WHAT A BUNCH OF S**T THIS IT

Normally, I get one or two "Hey, I'm having problems registering" email a day, out of about 20 new users a day. I check the account they tried to create, and usually it's validated and working properly.

lol. yeah I get some of those, I normally just delete those because that is not the attitude i want on my site lol.

and yeah some of the times by the time I go to check, they are already validated because they must have somehow learned to read within that 20 minutes lol.

i wish there was someway to proove your site to hotmail, yahoo, and aol so you go on an antispam list so your emails will always be recieved in there inbox instead of their junk mail, that annoys me still.

Leave a comment:

• cyburbia
    replied
    A couple of weeks ago, I got one that posted angry, ALL UPPERCASE replies to normal vBulletin-generated validation messages!

[Email 1]
    I CANNOT FIGURE THIS CRAP OUT................I HAVE TRIED AND HAVE TRIED
    AND HAVE TRIED.......SCREW THIS-NOW I AM ANGRY. THANKS FOR NOTHING

[Email 2]
    I KNOW MY DARN NAME AND I ALSO KNOW MY DARN PASSWORD AND IT WILL NOT TAKE
    IT...IM MADDER NOW THAN A HORNET

[Email 3]
    YOU SITE SUCKS

[Email 4]
    HEY-I THINK YOUR PAGE IS JUST A RACKET TO GET PEOPLE'S E-MAIL
    ADDRESSES...AM I CORRECT???
    YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF

[Email 5]
    WHAT A BUNCH OF S**T THIS IT

Normally, I get one or two "Hey, I'm having problems registering" email a day, out of about 20 new users a day. I check the account they tried to create, and usually it's validated and working properly.

Leave a comment: