Microsoft: YouTube? MeToo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft: YouTube? MeToo!

Microsoft announced today that it's rolling out a limited public beta test of an upcoming service called Soapbox on MSN Video that will compete with YouTube and Google Video, offering consumers a place to share and enjoy video clips. Like the competition, Soapbox will let people rate videos and link to them from their own Web sites.

"Soapbox delivers on a critical component of the MSN growth strategy of deepening audience engagement by enabling people to participate in the content experience," says General Manager of Entertainment and Video Services for MSN Rob Bennett. "By adding a user-uploaded video service, we are rounding out our existing investments in commercially produced and original content on MSN Video."

I spoke with Mr. Bennett about Soapbox recently, and although Microsoft is a bit late to the shared video arena, the service looks strong. Video uploading is much simpler than on similar sites, and Soabox's unique layout and UI makes it easier to find and share videos and doesn't require you to navigate away from the video that's currently playing. The community of Soapbox users can also take advantage of unique features such as tagging and emailing videos. YouTube looks pretty primitive by comparison.

Full Story
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Go figure; when has Microsoft even been a pioneer on the Internet? It's enitre business model is to try and duplicate whatever is hot and muck it up.

Comment

Or do what Sony does and take existing products and improve upon them. I'm for their Soapbox.

Go MS!

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
        Or do what Sony does and take existing products and improve upon them. I'm for their Soapbox.

Go MS!
        Improve them? How so?

Comment

absolutly no point to this...we already have 2 services which do it all... M$...bugger off, we don't need more re-hashed stuff!

Comment

I just hope they build it on Flash. I hate the WMP plugin to a ridiculous extent. Hate it.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by minx View Post
              absolutly no point to this...we already have 2 services which do it all... M$...bugger off, we don't need more re-hashed stuff!
              There is no negative aspect to it either. The more competition YouTube has keeps it improving on itself and also free of cost.
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Microsoft just copies and tries to compete with them.

Comment

Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                  Microsoft just copies and tries to compete with them.
                  and thats bad?

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie View Post
                    and thats bad?
                    Did I say it's bad? were in my posts am I saying its bad?

Comment

Originally posted by NashTax View Post
                      Did I say it's bad? were in my posts am I saying its bad?
                      lol. I didnt say that you said it was bad, just was curious if you thought it was bad

Comment

I find amusing that so many people complain about the big bad Microsoft "copying" others ideas and "mucking" them up.

Welcome to basic economics folks...welcome to the real world. When something is in demand, people will step up and supply it. All this does is help everyone else, i.e. us users.

If comapnies did not take ideas and try improve on them and force competition, we'd be years behind in a number of apects.
                        Webmaster / Administrator
                        www.MegaGames.com
                        www.MGForums.com

Comment

I agree with Vile. Bill Gates is a visionary and is able to turn his concepts into reality. Remember, it's the market that dictates the direction of any company and whether people accept it or not, MS is currently the standard.

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie View Post
                            lol. I didnt say that you said it was bad, just was curious if you thought it was bad
                            No I didn't ''thought'' it was bad. If so, I would of said.

Comment

Originally posted by Vile View Post
                              I find amusing that so many people complain about the big bad Microsoft "copying" others ideas and "mucking" them up.

Welcome to basic economics folks...welcome to the real world. When something is in demand, people will step up and supply it. All this does is help everyone else, i.e. us users.

If comapnies did not take ideas and try improve on them and force competition, we'd be years behind in a number of apects.
                              Well said....... couldn't have put it better myself
                              "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment