X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by daemon View Post
    BDB isn't portable in its native format, but you can move it across systems using "svnadmin dump" and "svnadmin load" to dump it into an architecture-neutral format and then re-import it. This is the preferred method for backup of both repositories, actually.

There's a free edition of the platform that supports up to like 15 users.
    Yea, i'm looking for something that can handle more users rather than having to pay per user.

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
    We used FSF since as far as I could see BDB was non portable, it didn't say how but I assumed that moving to either a 64bit machine or to a different architecture would cause problems.

I'll see about giving 1.4.x a go when it gets to 1.4.1. Using fresh software and all that.
    BDB isn't portable in its native format, but you can move it across systems using "svnadmin dump" and "svnadmin load" to dump it into an architecture-neutral format and then re-import it. This is the preferred method for backup of both repositories, actually.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    ARRRGHH! Sourceforge.net is free, but I'm talking about the actual platform itself, not the site.
    There's a free edition of the platform that supports up to like 15 users.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    The sourceforge.net site is free for all open source projects:

http://sourceforge.net/docs/about
    ARRRGHH! Sourceforge.net is free, but I'm talking about the actual platform itself, not the site.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    I'd second this approach. I use Basecamp for project management and then I use my own bug-tracking solution, Bugdar.

While I love Trac's SVN interface, I find their ticket system to be seriously lacking.

Wow that's a big jump. Couple of suggestions:

a) Use SVN 1.4.0 because it features a new binary diff algorithm which is faster and saves space
    b) Compare the size difference between BDB and FSFT databases
    c) Only import the trunk/CVS HEAD into SVN and then keep the CVS viewer alive for archival reasons; when importing from CVS -> SVN, the problem is that every single commit (even if they all went to the server at the same time) has to be its own separate SVN revision
    We used FSF since as far as I could see BDB was non portable, it didn't say how but I assumed that moving to either a 64bit machine or to a different architecture would cause problems.

I'll see about giving 1.4.x a go when it gets to 1.4.1. Using fresh software and all that.

Leave a comment:

• simsim
    replied
    Does anyone has experienced with SmartCVS & SmartSVN?

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    AFAIK, sourceforge isn't free. My understanding is it's cost per project.
    The sourceforge.net site is free for all open source projects:

SourceForge.net provides free hosting to Open Source software development projects. The essence of the Open Source development model is the rapid creation of solutions within an open, collaborative environment. Collaboration within the Open Source community (developers and end users) promotes a higher standard of quality, and helps to ensure the long-term viability of both data and applications
    http://sourceforge.net/docs/about

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    If you're willing to go open source, then Sourceforge and Collabnet are great .
    AFAIK, sourceforge isn't free. My understanding is it's cost per project.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Out of curiosity - has anyone used microsoft project? I imagine thats more suited for an individual user than a platform for multiple users but still curious about it.

edit: for fun, I was thinking about making a project management application in php/mysql. Any open source recommendations that I poke a stick at?

Leave a comment:

• Skeptical
    replied
    The only bug reporting software I've had experience with is Mantis. And boy what a mess that thing was! Funny thing was, I ended up using vBulletin to manage bugs! And it gave me much more freedom to do whatever I want.

What bug reporting software does vBulletin use?

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    Too bad there isn't nice decent priced software. Something similar to what sourceforge has, but much more reasonable priced
    If you're willing to go open source, then Sourceforge and Collabnet are great .

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Too bad there isn't nice decent priced software. Something similar to what sourceforge has, but much more reasonable priced

Leave a comment:

• daemon
    replied
    Originally posted by chrispadfield View Post
    I have yet to find something that integrates all aspects well, I personally use Basecamp for project management and FlySpray for bugs. Both of these have a definite KISS approach to things which is what I wanted.

There is some code that is meant to link flyspray and subversion, so when you comitt and bug fix it automatically closes the flyspray bug. I havn't tried to get that working though (yet).
    I'd second this approach. I use Basecamp for project management and then I use my own bug-tracking solution, Bugdar.

While I love Trac's SVN interface, I find their ticket system to be seriously lacking.

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
    Subversion is a bit of a beast, lets just say that 60mb of vb3 CVS became 4GB of Subversion during recent tests. There has been about 15,000 commits to vBulletin 3.x.
    Wow that's a big jump. Couple of suggestions:

a) Use SVN 1.4.0 because it features a new binary diff algorithm which is faster and saves space
    b) Compare the size difference between BDB and FSFT databases
    c) Only import the trunk/CVS HEAD into SVN and then keep the CVS viewer alive for archival reasons; when importing from CVS -> SVN, the problem is that every single commit (even if they all went to the server at the same time) has to be its own separate SVN revision

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Trac is what I've been falling in love with recently, it has Tasks, Issues and Bugs as well as a Wiki for documentation / notes.

The Timeline is also great too for generating reports and gives contexts to commits. Subversion is a bit of a beast, lets just say that 60mb of vb3 CVS became 4GB of Subversion during recent tests. There has been about 15,000 commits to vBulletin 3.x.

Leave a comment:

• chrispadfield
    replied
    I have yet to find something that integrates all aspects well, I personally use Basecamp for project management and FlySpray for bugs. Both of these have a definite KISS approach to things which is what I wanted.

There is some code that is meant to link flyspray and subversion, so when you comitt and bug fix it automatically closes the flyspray bug. I havn't tried to get that working though (yet).

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    The best project management software at your disposal is hiring a project manager A lot of "trained" project managers know what they're doing and will keep everything organised for you. I've heard basecamp is quite good though..

Leave a comment: