Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users using his sig to steal my members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users using his sig to steal my members?

Hi I have a question for everyone. I have a fairly new forum setup and I recently noticed one user how has in his signature a link to another forum which is the of the exact same gener. So make believe my forum is a dating forum, well the link in his sig is a dating forum. It looks like he's trying to steal my members as the signature is pretty big.
    i.e for the best dating forum on the net go to blahblah.com we have the most extensive resources on dating.

I should mention too that, his posts aren't spammy and are pretty good. He is not using any pictures and the font is regular size.

What would be the appropriate action.
    1. Just delete his signature?
    2. Do nothing about it.
    3. OTHER
    Just delete his signature
    61.54%
    Leave it alone, he has a right to put any sig he wants
    15.38%
    OTHER options?...write them down in this thread!
    23.08%
    Last edited by HUMMER; Sat 16th Sep '06, 9:05pm.
    \

I would tell him his signature text size should be no bigger then 2, and not allow pictures that link to his forums.
    Or if you do allow pics with URL links, make sure theyre very small...
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Generally do not allow links to other websites?
      selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

PM him politely, and explain that unfortunately you don't allow links to other forum sites.

Alternatively, if his site is quite busy, you could explain that you WILL allow his link, as long as you can have a free advert to your site on his.

That is a diplomatic solution, he will either take his out to avoid having your ad, or else you'll actually get a free ad!

Tell him you operate a "reciprocal links policy".
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.5.6 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

My forum has a clear link to the forum rules and one of the statements in that rule policy is that members are not allowed to advertise other forums or they will be permentally banned. As it seems your having problems with signatures then im sure theres a feature in acp or a mod meaning you can disable his signature usage?

Comment

I voted "Just delete his signature" and burn him at the stake.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
              PM him politely, and explain that unfortunately you don't allow links to other forum sites.

Alternatively, if his site is quite busy, you could explain that you WILL allow his link, as long as you can have a free advert to your site on his.

That is a diplomatic solution, he will either take his out to avoid having your ad, or else you'll actually get a free ad!

Tell him you operate a "reciprocal links policy".
              I agree, this is a good way of going about it. Hopefully you will both benifit from the situation.

Comment

What would be the appropriate action.
                1. Just delete his signature?
                2. Do nothing about it.
                3. OTHER
                3. Talk to him about it. Explain your concerns and if he refuses to comply, you can then take further action.

Comment

Don't forget that you can do the same thing on his forum. It seems to be an accepted way to get visitors. Afterall people who are interested in the same subjects generally go to the same websites, so trying to attract members from your competition is a reasonable thing to do.

I'm not saying if it is right or wrong but it seems a tactic that is often recommended on admin style forums.

Comment

ban his ass, all emails in his domain and his whole ip subnet.

Comment

I think you should wait a few days to see if it's really making you lose any members in the first place.

If it is, then take action.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X