What does it take to make an ISP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does it take to make an ISP?

Anyone here run their own ISP? I think it would rock to run my own ISP. I curious about initial overhead, equipment, redundancy, etc. What would it take?

No, free broadband access isn't the only reason i want to do this. Wait a minute, YES IT IS!

its pretty easy in the UK.

You buy a couple of ports at BT, an auth. server and your setup - Im thinking of doing it myself

Comment

Anyone know how much it costs in total to buy all the things needed to run a ISP?

Comment

Quite honestly, there really isn't a way to make a good profit as an ISP, unless if you grow to a size where you are offering services on a large scale. IMHO, it's not worth the effort for the small returns.

Comment

ok then... anyone know how I can get a free T1 to my house?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
            ok then... anyone know how I can get a free T1 to my house?
            Im sure you could get buisness class DSL to your house...1.5 down, 768 upstream

just an idea

Comment

not where i live.

I've looked at every available ISP in my area. I can get 768/384 for $100 a month. sync 768 is like $250 a month. sync 1.5 is insane. Every aDSL service with 1.5Mb downstream has 128 up which is not sufficient for my game serving needs. At&T just bought our local cable company so we should be getting their service available soon.

Comment

not where i live.

I've looked at every available ISP in my area. I can get 768/384 for $100 a month. sync 768 is like $250 a month. sync 1.5 is insane. Every aDSL service with 1.5Mb downstream has 128 up which is not sufficient for my game serving needs. At&T just bought our local cable company so we should be getting their service available soon.
                Hehe, you are living in the Alpha Quadrant, so don't wonder why you cannot get a better internet connection

Comment

I currently work for a ISP, and for a good setup you'll looking at a few million, and if your going to run dsl, several more million on top of that. I currently have a price list of ISP hardware, routers, modems, etc, and the smallest price is 1,499 and thats for the test equipment....

Comment

not where i live.

Jakeman, ever thought of putting the game server at your web host's servers? That might be a better idea and come out to be cheaper too.

Otherwise you can get a dedicated T-1 (not shared) for like $500 a month from a major isp. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you more details.
                    Well, there it is.
                    - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

isp cost

I read somewhere that it costs a minimum of 15,000 to start your own ISP (premises, security etc.)

www.legend.co.uk do good deals for connectivity...

Comment

Jakeman, you also need to have <Jakemode> Trademarked.

Comment

games running from my web host? ooooooooooooooo!!!

i'm on hostrocket.com, shared box, coporate service.

Comment

As i siad above, it doesnt take a lot to run an ISP in the uk - you dont need your own hardware, you can use bt webport. Two ISP's using this are BigBlueSku.uk.net and 08002go.co.uk

All you do is buy ports at BT, get an authentification server and your set - anyone can setup an ISP - you dont have to have offices, staff etc. Dont know about eh US though

Comment

Get a dedicated server for like $200 a month and you can go wild with your game server. Much cheaper than getting a t-1 line to your house.
                              Well, there it is.
                              - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X