Microsoft Ships Windows Vista RC1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Ships Windows Vista RC1

Just a week after shipping a surprisingly stable, full-featured, and bug-free pre-Release Candidate 1 (RC1) version of Windows Vista, Microsoft has delivered the real thing. At 2:30 pm EST, the software maker unleashed Windows Vista RC1 to the public. And in the days ahead, an astonishing number of people will be running this Vista version.

In an RC1 briefing recently, Microsoft group product manager Chris Flores told me that the RC1 version of Vista is significantly improved over Beta 2, the previous public milestone of the product. It includes noticeably improved stability and performance, new functionality such as Tag browsing in Media Center and an IE feature that prevent incompatible toolbars from loading, vastly improved device coverage, and numerous other improvements, Microsoft says. Additionally, the controversial User Account Control (UAC) feature has been significantly changed to be less intrusive.

The RC1 build will time out in May 2007, Microsoft says, and the company will support it with critical updates and other patches through the final release of Windows Vista, which is slated for late October 2006.

Source
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

I am downloading RC1 right now, just figured i would add that it is build 5600.16384
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
      I am downloading RC1 right now, just figured i would add that it is build 5600.16384
      How big is the download? And is Microsoft offering it on CD?
      Forums

Comment

The thread preview on forumhome cropped the title to "Microsoft Ships Windows Vista".
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
          How big is the download? And is Microsoft offering it on CD?
          Its 2.6 GB for the Windows Vista x86 DVD ISO.. Not sure about a CD release..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Have they improved laptop support? I couldn't even get the bloody thing working on mine last beta.
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Thank you for your thread, I'm testing the build 5472, now waiting for the build 5600

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                Have they improved laptop support? I couldn't even get the bloody thing working on mine last beta.

Support was finalized in the public preview release, if it didnt support it at that time, it will likely not have the support needed in the RC1 release..
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I downloaded it it Friday night and installed it yesterday as my main OS. Had to format since there is no upgrade from XP64. Backup up all the files I wanted to keep to an external drive formatted and clean install. I did the same with XP. Once it hit RC I started using it as my main OS.
                  Vista 64 runs very well on my box. No driver conflicts. Unlike XP64 which was pain because of the Uli chipset and a few other driver problems. Fast install too, took 24 minutes from the time I put the disk in the drive to loading up Vista for the first time. This is the first time I am able to get the full effect of the UI. My test boxes have unsupported chipsets and video cards.
                  Next up comes the upgrade on my laptop from XP SP2 to Vista64. I'll do that one tonight.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Press release

Source: Industry Testing of Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 Begins

REDMOND, Wash. — Sept. 5, 2006 — Following the release Friday of Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Release Candidate 1 (RC1), Microsoft Corp. announced plans to make RC1 available for broad customer and partner testing. With this milestone, Microsoft is also communicating the U.S. estimated retail pricing* for all Windows Vista editions. The announcements signal a major step for the technology industry toward the final availability of Windows Vista, currently targeted for volume license customers in November 2006 and general availability in January 2007.

Comment

Windows Vista RC1 is available since some minutes for people who signed up for the Windows Vista Customer Preview Program (CPP) with the release of Beta 2 in June

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Got mine and am about to install

Comment

jesus christ RC1 is still rather unstable. practically no anti virus works on it, there are problems within syncing with mobile devices, nero still doesnt work, hibernation stalls and sometimes crashes, and aero is still clunky even with the drivers that ATI released for vista. and the new network system is pretty... dumb. it may seem smart because computers instantly pop up in the same workplace, but it seems more difficult to perform networking.

i know vista will be good, but MS has a LONG way to go. frankly, i have no idea why they called it "RC1". when a product goes into RC phase, that means that version may very well be the final. in this case, its definetly not.

i tried it out for a couple days, and now im back on xp. i would never run this as my main os, just too many issues with compatibility at the moment.

Comment

While I still think Vista sucks, it's not fair of you to criticize it almost solely on third party software not functioning. For example, an antivirus gets pretty deep into the system, and even a tiny change in the OS can break it.
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

We dont test the OS's based on third party software either, thats one of the last concerns during the beta stage and RC stage.

Third party support is always added after..

Testing the OS with third party software, would be like testing vbulletin full of hacks from vbulletin.org..
                              MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                              Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X