No announcement yet.

Weird New Member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, i cant upgrade to 3.6 at the moment due to my hosting company's PHP version not being upgraded. I can only wait until they upgrade that before I upgrade the forum.

Until that time, like today, I am once again unable to access my forum. I've had yet another person join today who I've deleted and just now, had someone called Iamdickyc join who, because I cant actually access the forum or admin control panel, I cant delete.

I think its time I searched around for another hosting company, because this is getting beyond a joke. Four nights running now I have had this problem, where nobody can access the forum for hours.

To say I'm getting p***** off is an understatement.

Comment

I have now submitted a support ticket about this. Hopefully it will get resolved soon

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.H View Post
        Rob2007 disappointment2 appletango fujitsusi
        OMG, I have those bozos on my forum too! None of them have posted yet but I see links in one of them to go that online hoster (dot) com address.

Well... I guess I'm off to delete some more members! Do you guys delete the members or just clear their sigs and ban the IP??

Any word on... raje143r ???

Ya know, we really should start one post with a list of these names... and future names that come up so other admins who come along after us will have an easier time of dealing with this junk!

Lyte

Comment

Hey cyburbia,

I agree with you, at least in my case, with regards to "forum admins and mods who aren't very savvy to spam and forum abuse." Guilty as charged! This is my first forum so I'm peddling... err... learning.... as fast as I can. I'd really appreciate some insight from you as to what to look for or be aware of when it comes to spam/forum abuse.

As for #3, I guess I'm partially guilty in that area too. One reason I'm not rushing out to upgrade is because my skin isn't compatible and neither are some of my hacks. However, I will upgrade as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Lyte
          Last edited by PC101; Fri 8 Sep '06, 1:54pm.

Comment

Originally posted by PC101 View Post
            I agree with you, at least in my case, with regards to "forum admins and mods who aren't very savvy to spam and forum abuse." Guilty as charged! This is my first forum so I'm peddling... err... learning.... as fast as I can. I'd really appreciate some insight from you as to what to look for or be aware of when it comes to spam/forum abuse.
            Great question! I should probably start a new thread on being a savvy message board administrator with regards to forum spam, because it takes on so many different forms; outright advertising, signature spam, profile spam, astroturfing/street teaming, and so on.

In brief, the keys to being savvy are:

1) Recognizing spammers before they start spamming.
            2) Recognizing when you've been spammed, even when a user doesn't post what seems like an obvious ad.
            3) Preventing spammers from registering to begin with.
            4) Generally being vigilant.

There's so much more to say about each of those key elements, something that really deserves its own thread.
            Last edited by cyburbia; Fri 8 Sep '06, 9:44pm.
            Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
            http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

Had another one join during the night. Reliantrobin. Thats 16 now.

To be honest, I cant actually remember all the names, other than the ones already posted in this thread. However, the things to look for in the user profile is the date of birth is always January 1, 1980 and their email address normally ends with .info. These two are enough for me to ban them, then delete them. I've tried banning the IP address, but for some reason they have managed to get round this because they are still registering.

I've put below all the usernames that I can remember (the one I posted earlier in this thread, Iamdickyc is not a spammer from what I can make out)

Shemker394
              Bebopvt
              Morefe
              Ruler75
              onlinehoster
              applesours
              AZNProd32
              LClan439
              Rob2007
              disappointment2
              appletango
              fujitsusi
              reliantrobin
              Daleman1984
              Curlopt2007 (or something similar)
              timeout10
              tork2k
              carlsberg21
              Last edited by jacks316; Mon 11 Sep '06, 8:50am. Reason: Another spammer to add to the list

Comment

Okay, this is happening all to often.

Firstly I believe the reason is given here, in this thread. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199610

Next here is a list of names I've recently encountered and what I consider spammers. I'm sure there are others, but these are ones to be on the alert for.

in4wikiu
                bestformaldress23
                Poll Pitt
                Jinna23
                klauskolerman
                furillo
                TomSpenda
                1-siriusok-1
                Atlas33
                AllyHungry
                londexch3m
                kjanyeaz1
                dorveishique
                crestorinfo
                resourcwrs
                Brus
                MrGunjMan_
                Tij84ye
                Last edited by e-motion; Sat 9 Sep '06, 4:21am.

Comment

Another: Niki8ones

Comment

cyburbia,

Thanks for responding again! This is proving to be very educational! If you do decide to start a thread on how spamming please let me know! I'll be the one sitting at the front of the class!

e-motion,

Thanks for the laundry list o' dirty laundry! I've deleted most of them, cleared the sigs of all and them and banned all the IP addresses that came with them. Guess that's a start! It's good to see your list so I'll recognize the names should they pop up on PC101.

Thanks!

Lyte

Comment

This is another great example on why vBulletin rocks!
                      We all may have forums with completely different topics but we all run into the same problems and when we do, the vBulletin forum is there full of helpful forum owners willing to share their problem and experiance.

My forum hasn't had a spammer in a few days and after the mad rush of them last week that make me very happy. Thanks for the tips and lists everyone!

Comment

Ive just added yet another spammer to my list. I wonder if they will ever give up...lol

Comment

Crap! I just got this bozo today.... reliantrobin ... and it has the same IP as one I banned yesterday. How are they getting past the IP ban I place through the CPanel??

Lyte

Comment

Originally posted by PC101 View Post
                            Crap! I just got this bozo today.... reliantrobin ... and it has the same IP as one I banned yesterday. How are they getting past the IP ban I place through the CPanel??

Lyte
                            Did you remember to put a space or line break between the ip's? Also do you have the enable banning options set to yes?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.H View Post
                              Did you remember to put a space or line break between the ip's? Also do you have the enable banning options set to yes?
                              Actually, I banned this via the Cpanel which should have banned them from PC101 right at the server level. Meaning, they shouldn't even be able to see my site from that IP!

Hmm... guess I'll have to ban them within VB too.

Lyte

Comment

Okay, just to keep everyone posted. So far these are the ones I've deleted and banned.

Nicknames
                                Shemker394
                                Bebopvt
                                onlinehoster ~ deleted name with this email address.
                                AZNProd32
                                LClan439
                                Rob2007
                                disappointment2
                                appletango
                                fujitsusi
                                reliantrobin
                                Culprit2007
                                timeout10
                                carlsberg21
                                Pochtalyon <-- new today.

IP addresses
                                203.113.13~ 4
                                24.165.110~ 189
                                63.166.111~ 6
                                74.52.58 210
                                80.237.206~ 93
                                82.165.180~ 112
                                82.165.237~ 19
                                85.25.141~ 60
                                81.222.178~ 30

Addresses
                                frxxfreexxil~info - Turns into look4adult ~ com
                                burxxcouxxemore ~ com
                                gxxab ~ com
                                alexxonxxne ~ info

I put in xx so as not to give them any more traffic or search presense.

Any of the emails look familar?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X