it's best to total ban their IP's and Emails

quick update, this one has only just registered on the forum i moderate:

name: fujitsusi
      email of: abilityonline.info
      birthday of January 1st 1980
      IP: 81.169.180.248/ Host: babbage.g10code.com

keep an eye out.

Comment

Is there a way to report whomever is doing this? I mean, perhaps to their ISP or hosting company? Is so, how would one go about doing that?

Lyte

EDIT: Is everyone who's having this problem using a Quick Reg hack? Similar to the one I have on my forum? I'm looking for another common denominator besides the use of vBulletin.
        Last edited by PC101; Wed 6 Sep '06, 7:46am. Reason: Added Quick Reg question. : )

Comment

I've had this guy aswell, he's doing it for traffic. In my eye it's spam so I banned and removed the links from his profile.
          Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

heya,

just a few more bots to watch out for:

appletango, email: ATalertonline.info

disappointment2, email: ATonlinehoster.com

IP:62.48.34.110/ Host: 62.48.34.110

the birtday is as same as the rest of them.

keep an eye out.

Comment

I'm inclined to ban the IP (62.48.34.110) this very moment! Even before my forum gets hit. Is there any downside to my doing this??

Lyte

Comment

I've had all these people and more join my site since yesterday. Most of yesterday evening and all of tonight, I have had major problems with accessing the site. Its taken me 5 hours to delete these people and I'm now in the process of trying to remember how to ban IP addresses!

For your info, PC101, I dont have the Quick Reg plug in running on my forum.

I've no idea if these spammers are the cause of the problems on the site or not, but to be honest, it worries me!

Comment

I'm worried too. I'm not a VB Guru so I must rely on whatever preventative measures Jelsoft has put on place to protect my forum! And I'm not a huge coder so I'm not be able bolster whatever measures they have put in place!

Ya know, it may or may not be the hacks. I don't know. We have some users with the Quick Reg hack and some without but all have been spammed. Why couldn't it be that someone found a way to get past VB's preventative measures?? Lord knows, hackers spend their days figuring out how to get past security and they do it just for fun!

If you've not stumbled upon it yet. I started my own thread on the subject.

Lyte

Comment

I've now deleted all of the 13 members I had with the same IP address, no posts, and the same date of birth, with weird email addresses.

I have also activated the email confirmation and moderate new members options. It took me 5 hours to do this, due to the complete inability to access anything on the site.

Since I deleted these members, my site seems to be running a lot better. I have no idea why this is, but this concerns me even more now. Were these spammers able to place pop-ups or some other crap behind the site, which you cant see, causing the site to grind to a complete standstill?

Hopefully, the measures I've put in place will stop this from happening in the future. Its just a matter of waiting to see what happens next.

Comment

Oh, one other thing. The member called BebopTV? I deleted his single post too, as its very bizarre that that was posted on hundreds of sites all at the same time. Whether this has had a bearing on why the site is now running faster, I've no idea.

Comment

What are they trying to achieve?

So what's the aim of these weird new users? I've had a rash of them this week (never had one before) -- six new users, I think, that I've had to ban and delete. I've started moderating new users, which is not something I wanted to have to do.

What are these people trying to accomplish? Why bother joining all these forums? Are they out to send private message spam to members? Or is there something even more nefarious?

Comment

It's a form of spamming. A new form to my eyes. Even if their posts stay up for just 24 hours, consider the fact that if done on a massive scale they will probably get quite a few hits! I mean... which of us (Admins) or members doesn't check out the "new guy" and what they have to offer.

Is anyone here running VB3.6??

Lyte

Comment

Seems like we are all having the same spammers joining all our sites on the same days. I deleted 3 of them myself today.. At least I'm getting rather use to the admin control panel and can get rid of a few members in about 5-10 min or so. Since this thread started last weekend I've deleted:

BebopVT Morefe Ruler75 onlinehoster applesours AZNProd32 LClan439 Shemker394 Rob2007 disappointment2 appletango fujitsusi

I'm wondering where their getting the forum lists with our web addresses on it? I've been up for about 1 year with around 120 members(depending on spammers :P) and it takes months for the search engines to even pick you up. Wonder if their snagging the forum lists from the VBulletin site itself?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.H View Post
                              BebopVT Morefe Ruler75 onlinehoster applesours AZNProd32 LClan439 Shemker394 Rob2007 disappointment2 appletango fujitsusi
                              Googling those names, all I'm finding are vB 3.0.* and 3.5.* forums. A few observations:

1) It's mostly comment spamming, but BebopVP, Shemker394 and AZNProd32 are posting one-liners.

2) There are a lot of forum admins and mods who aren't very savvy to spam and forum abuse.

3) Why do so many forum admins insist on staying with older versions of vBulletin, even if they pay their annual support fee and don't have odd hacks installed?
                              Cyburbia Forums - a third place for urban planners
                              http://www.cyburbia.org/forums

Comment

Originally posted by Cyburbia
                                Why do so many forum admins insist on staying with older versions of vBulletin, even if they pay their annual support fee and don't have odd hacks installed?
                                Maybe because some of them don't feel comfortable upgrading instead something goes wrong? I dunno, just a guess.
                                "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X