• eva2000

when are you gonna let people sign up at your board again
    My FFXI Linkshell Website
    - http://www.stealthvertigo.com

Re: eva2000

Originally posted by kdog316
    when are you gonna let people sign up at your board again
    LOL... this is the 2nd public request here

kdog316, i'm not ready to reopen regos yet but if you and private message me here your desired

username
    password
    email address and i'll sent you your activation email

just been having problems from all ends including banned users trying to get back in
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

just ban there ip address and they cant get in or require a unique e-mail address and then ban there e-mail address

Comment

then they'll either reconnect (if they have a dynamic IP), or get a new e-mail account at somewhere like hotmail

Comment

just ban there ip address and they cant get in or require a unique e-mail address and then ban there e-mail address
          I had the same problem as eva2000 on my forum. Because my site is targeting Broadband in Australia almost ever member uses the proxy server which gives them 1 IP number, this 1 IP is about 800 people, so in my position I can only ban emails and as JohnM pointed out they can just go and register again with Hotmail or start.com.au

Comment

How about this for a new feature? Have vB set an "evil" cookie on bad users. Then every time they come back the system will recognize them, even if they change ips or user different email addresses.

Then when they "sign up" again, let vB trick them and send them a FAKE email with username and password. Of course it'll never work because vB never adds them in the database. But only the admin/moderator will know this.

What do you think?
            Well, there it is.
            - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

or ban all the big free email accounts like yahoo, msn or hotmail?

--James

Comment

Originally posted by Skeptical
                How about this for a new feature? Have vB set an "evil" cookie on bad users. Then every time they come back the system will recognize them, even if they change ips or user different email addresses.
                Would that be in-line with the law?
                My guess is, you would need to have some major legal work in your privacy policy out-lining this feature.

Comment

Another way to close in on these morons is to monitor their passwords because lots of people use the same passwords over and over again. So when the same password used by a previously banned user is used in a new signup, the admin is notified asap so he can watch this person.

Also, I've noticed that some abusers like to use similar email addresses, such as [email protected] and [email protected]. A way for admin to watch for email address sequences might help too.

The thing is, the above 2 are not sure-fire ways to catch a repeat abuser. But it does help the admin keep a heads-up warning just in case.
                  Well, there it is.
                  - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I like the cookie idea myself.....I don't see how that would be illegal, but that is just me. I think it is a good idea....Just have a cookie stored on their computer say with their user #, and when you ban them you ban that #, then.....you know how it goes.
                    TooFastForYa

Comment

Originally posted by Zorg
                      My guess is, you would need to have some major legal work in your privacy policy out-lining this feature.
                      Privacy policies are not required by law, although if you have one you are expected to follow it. Outlining this feature in a privacy policy would certainly defeat the usefulness of it.

Comment

for the banning of all free e-mail acounts. what about the people who dont abuse the forum and use those accounts thye wont be able to get in. and the cookie thing, all someones got to do is delte all there cookies and that cookie is gone

Comment

... and the cookie thing, all someones got to do is delte all there cookies and that cookie is gone
                          Yes this is true, but we're not aiming to block out 100% of abusers, because such would be almost impossible. Instead what we are aiming at is decreasing the amount of abuse. It's like you putting a lock on your door, alarm, and window bars vs. you not putting in any of them. A determined thief could still break in anyway, but the lock, alarm and bars do keep out a good percentage of them. At some point it just becomes too much of a hassle for them and so they leave.
                          Well, there it is.
                          - Keeper of the Grove

Comment

I think the best way for us(forum owners) to handle users is that built-in identification feature in VB & PCs(yeah yeah Macs,too) . (Like inserting your ID card into your ID mechine connected to your computer to log in... well... sometime in near furture...)

Comment

skeptical that is very true

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X