• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy suggestion for Jelsoft

The facts:
    vBulletin is pirated frequently, but the most pirated versions are:
    3.0.0 - 3.2.2

(FACT - and this site - <link removed>- which I have reported at http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php is offering it as a download, astonishingly, so anyone who downloads it is using their licence - breach of the agreement!)

So I suggest that Jelsoft offers the old versions 3.0.0 - 3.2.2 (which are widely illegally copied) for download.

I know many software companies offer the old versions for download (PSP6, anyone??)

Why don't Jelsoft do this with the old versions (pre-3.3) to prevent piracy?

It's not gonna happen You don't see Sony giving away PSOne's. Although you may be on to something here; perhaps lowering the prices of legacy versions of vBulletin.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

But why would Jelsoft encourage people to use the versions of vB that are insecure? Then people will blame Jelsoft for being hacked, etc. I am, however, for Jelsoft to release all legacy versions to the Members' Area
      HFT Online - Professional computer help ... with a personal touch

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
        It's not gonna happen You don't see Sony giving away PSOne's. Although you may be on to something here; perhaps lowering the prices of legacy versions of vBulletin.
        You can get PSP6 for free.
        As for the member area, allow people to sign up with web-based email to download the old versions.

This could be Jelsoft's attempt at cornering phpBB - heh heh!
        Last edited by WarrenLitherland; Mon 21 Aug '06, 5:04am.

Comment

I'm pretty sure there isn't a version 3.2.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Techguy1 View Post
            But why would Jelsoft encourage people to use the versions of vB that are insecure? Then people will blame Jelsoft for being hacked, etc. I am, however, for Jelsoft to release all legacy versions to the Members' Area

They can release it for free and charge for support!
            Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

I want 3.2.2~!

Comment

Originally posted by xjuliox View Post
                That'd be abit on the silly side.

Comment

New versions are released for a reason. Releasing old versions wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by xjuliox View Post
                    Or purchase a license and get free support.
                    Last edited by steven s; Tue 22 Aug '06, 6:12pm.
                    ...steven
                    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by Tree View Post
                      New versions are released for a reason. Releasing old versions wouldn't make much sense, IMO.
                      True, but you do get people who want old versions - a friend of mine still has Lemmings 3D because he thought it was a better game than Lemmings Revolution!

Warren's suggerstion isn't bad.... Jelsoft/vB should look into it!

Comment

We will never release versions with known security issues, not even for 'free'.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Davidson View Post
                          True, but you do get people who want old versions - a friend of mine still has Lemmings 3D because he thought it was a better game than Lemmings Revolution!

Warren's suggerstion isn't bad.... Jelsoft/vB should look into it!
                          But that's a video game. It's not the same thing as preferring 3.0.1 to 3.0.14.
                          Forums

Comment

I guess releasing old versions would be giving Jelsoft bad promotion, especially if website administrators are seeing hacked messages all over the gaff!
                            Computer Networking Forums
                            www.unlocked-networks.com

Comment

Why don't people let us concentrate on providing our customers with the best possible product and support we can rather then divert our resources to pander to people who do not want to buy vB?
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X