vbPortal vs vBadvanced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Bolton View Post
    Which is the best of the two, let me think. Neither!

Originally posted by eD2K.biz View Post
    vbadvance is better

For me vBa

Comment

vBadvanced. is better so far I have heared..

Comment

I suggest that if anyone is really interested in vBa vs vBPortal, try them both out first and decide for yourself, that's really the only way.

"Others says __ or __ is good" doesn't cut it. What works for one person may or may not work for another person. It really depends on your needs.

Both products have their advantages. Go read an earlier post by wajones for information from one of the vBPortal developers.

Comment

Thing is with Portals though, when you visit a vBulletin site and you bookmark it (that uses a seperate portal like the two mentioned here). Do you bookmark the forum page or the portal page. Most people bypass the portal and bookmark the forum page instead for future visits so they don't have to visit the portal first to get to the forum pages each time they visit that site. For example: When you visit vBadvanced, do you visit there portal page first, or do you have there forum bookmarked first to go straight to the forum?

Which for me - makes using a seperate portal page like vBAdvanced or vBPortal not as good an idea, as lets say using a left or right side menu on the forums pages were its always seen, were modules can added and used, like banner adds, or bookmark this site or whatever takes you fancy etc. That you know will never be bypassed because its located on your forumhome page.

Thats why I steer clear now of seperate portals like vBPortal and vBadvanced and use a left side menu on the forums main homepage instead, and just add custom code to it.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 4th Nov '06, 3:32pm.

Comment

It depends. If the focus is the forums then more likely people will bookmark the forum's URL, rather than the domain, regardless of how the site's mapped out. If the forums are a suppliment to a site, then the homepage and other site sections will take priority; and in that case more likely people will bookmark the domain. BTW, Portals have more powerful uses than just the homepage.

For the record, when I visit site's like vBadvanced, I go straight to the homepage.

Comment

Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
              It depends. If the focus is the forums then more likely people will bookmark the forum's URL, rather than the domain, regardless of how the site's mapped out. If the forums are a suppliment to a site, then the homepage and other site sections will take priority; and in that case more likely people will bookmark the domain. BTW, Portals have more powerful uses than just the homepage.

For the record, when I visit site's like vBadvanced, I go straight to the homepage.
              I go straight to the forums on all vBulletin sites that use a portal. And only visit the portal page from the forums page if there is a reason why I want to view the portal, which is not really that often.

I agree, portals like vBadvanced do offer much more powerful options to use. But here is an example of were portals lose out over a side menu using blocks on the forum page. You know that everybody visiting your site will view what you put in your side menu (everybody). Were as only people who don't bypass the portal will see whats on that page. So for me the side menu on the forumhome is a better option in the longrun, all be it less powerfull.
              Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 4th Nov '06, 3:56pm.

Comment

I go straight to the forums on all vBulletin sites that use a portal. And only visit the portal page from the forums page if there is a reason why I want to view the portal, which is not really that often.
                Which makes good sense since for these sites the forums are the focal point.

I agree, portals like vBadvanced do offer much more powerful options to use. But here is an example of were portals lose out over a side menu using blocks on the forum page. You know that everybody visiting your site will view what you put in your side menu (everybody). Were as only people who don't bypass the portal will see whats on that page. So for me the side menu on the forumhome is a better option in the longrun, all be it less powerfull.
                I agree that the layout of the site navigation is one of the keys for continuity and user-friendliness. Though, a top/down menu system will also work just as well; especially for fixed-width sites. Whether the left or top/down navigation is used, at this point, it's a matter of preference and practicality.

Comment

one of the strengths of vbportal is pulling data from areas of vbportal (or forum) and displaying it in the forum left column.
                  lol @ Club2Share - quoting himself. its well known that Club2Share and eD2K.biz are the same person.
                  vbPortal Developer

Comment

Originally posted by scotsmist View Post
                    one of the strengths of vbportal is pulling data from areas of vbportal (or forum) and displaying it in the forum left column.
                    lol @ Club2Share - quoting himself. its well known that Club2Share and eD2K.biz are the same person.
                    Sorry but you got that wrong big time, club2share.com is owned by Dreamz (otherwise known as H2K). The other site called ed2k.biz was owned and is still owned by "ME", but there is nothing installed there. Both sites are totally seperate, and as a point of interest I also own garybolton.co.uk and a few other domains.

And yes, the post made here by a person called "ed2k.biz" is ME
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Sun 12th Nov '06, 7:18am.

Comment

I am amazed that I got notification that this thread is still going on. I am equally amazed at some of the comments which are obviously from individuals who do not have a clue. Left menus, don't visit portal front pages only forums, sheesh.

The left menu blocks are always viewable in vbportal when browsing the forums (unless you turn them off) I must be in the minority here as I have run both systems over many years from V1 of vbadvanced and v2 and also every version of vbportal ever released going back to early vbulletin 2.0 days.

Rather than go into details which would obviously be a waste of my time I will simply say, try both, spend time to learn how to use each and make your own mind up.

Is it not about time this thread was closed, it serves no purpose whatsoever in informing a user or the pros and cons of each system and has become a “Mine is better than yours” fiasco.

Comment

It seems that vbadvanced is more popular or well known, but both are good. Which ever way anyone chooses, they will be happy.
                        Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

I personally use another CMS called subdreamer. Ive found it easier to use then others but my experience with vba and vbp are limited.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X