Forgot windows password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot windows password

First off, long time no see to anyone that remembers me (I didn't post that much, mainly helped people out with HTML).

Now to the point.
    My brother just called telling me that he can't get on to his laptop because he can't remember the password. I think he recently changed it and forgot it.
    Is there anyway to bypass the password popup (it comes up as soon as you turn on the computer, it doesnt go to the windows screen, displaying user choices (Like Owner, Family, etc.).

Thanks,
    Scootertaj

What OS your brother is running ?

Did your brother tried to reset the password using password of another user which has the same level of administrative rights.

Another method is using System BackUp (you might loose lot of data here, new users/permissions created since last backup)

Or last choice is to use some third-party tools like:
    Windows Password recovery
    O & O bluecon

Alternate password recovery method if your brothers laptop is connected to a domain controller:
    Recover Lost Password

try these solutions as well:
    Forgot Windows XP Admin Password
    Last edited by SaN-DeeP; Sat 19th Aug '06, 7:38pm.
    TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Found a good solution (pretty tricky) download and read here:
      http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Comment

He's running Windows, and I'm pretty sure he just changed the password of his user and forgot it.
        I did a quick google search and found a couple 3rd party solutions, going to check out yours as well San.

Thanks!

Comment

Press the F8 key on startup, you can alter settings for all users then.
          [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post

Isn't it F12 on some PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by Neal-UK View Post

Even in safe mode, one needs to enter the user/password

Comment

Depends unless you set the admins password when you first setup the computer, the true administrator account will either have no password or the first password you used on the system.

Comment

Is there anyway to bypass the password popup (it comes up as soon as you turn on the computer, it doesnt go to the windows screen, displaying user choices (Like Owner, Family, etc.).
                  Read what the thread author said. It seems like a BIOS password. I'm not sure how to get around this I'm afraid.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by SaN-DeeP View Post
                    Even in safe mode, one needs to enter the user/password
                    Exactly as Zach said...Safe mode is not a guaranteed fix. If the admin user account has a password in safe mode then you're still SOL. The password for this account is blank by default but many people DO go into safe mode and assign a password, so this won't always work.

Harmor, safe mode is always F8 for Windows btw. For some newer systems that have onboard restore, it's sometimes F10 or F11 though.

It's time like these why I'm glad I invested in a license for ERD commander by Winternals. One of the few programs that does a good job at booting a dead system, which also has a "Locksmith" feature that can eaisly bypass a Windows password (2000 Pro, XP, etc)

If it is a BIOS password, you may be able to reset/remove it by taking out/putting in the CMOS battery (button battery on the motherboard, usually 2032 size)
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Probably a long shot and a silly suggestion but when it comes to the log in option, just press ok without entering a password. See if that does anything

Just incase it's a different user with a non set password.......
                      [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

If its the BIOS password, record all your BIOS settings then reset the CMOS chip by removing the CMOS battery for 5 mins, then putting it back in.
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                          Read what the thread author said. It seems like a BIOS password. I'm not sure how to get around this I'm afraid.
                          oops right read Dean.... thanks.

the solution from Joe above, should help fixing or you need to call your laptop support...

Comment

Ok, no I was wrong it requests the password at the blue screen like where you would see other users available (Owner, family, etc.).
                            I tried using a floppy, but it comes up with the error: "invalid disk, remove and press any button."

Comment

Originally posted by Scootertaj View Post
                              Ok, no I was wrong it requests the password at the blue screen like where you would see other users available (Owner, family, etc.).
                              I tried using a floppy, but it comes up with the error: "invalid disk, remove and press any button."
                              So it is a Windows logon password then...Follow the advice above. Restart the computer, after POST hit the F8 button and select "Safe Mode"
                              When the user accounts show up in safe mode, login as Administrator. By default the password is blank so hopefully no one changed it. Once logged in as Administrator in safe mode you can go to Start-->Settings>Control Panel-->User Acconts-->[select account name]-->remove (or change) password.
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X