Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP networking

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XP networking

    Hey,

    Having a few problems with XP networking (both pro). I've managed to somehow let people access the folders I shared by turning off simple file sharing, then turning it back on and then sharing again. Unfortunately I can open these folders/files remotely on the network but it won't let me copy any of the folders/files. No firewall running on either machine.

    To further clarify I get this error message when trying to "copy" files from my PC to laptop:

    "Cannot copy [filename]: Access is denied. Make sure that the disk not full or write-protected and that the file is currently not in use".

    Neither hdd is full, and the files are not in use.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    - Dean
    Last edited by Dean C; Thu 17 Aug '06, 10:22am.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

  • #2
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    Hey,

    Having a few problems with XP networking (both pro). I've managed to somehow let people access the folders I shared by turning off simple file sharing, then turning it back on and then sharing again. Unfortunately I can open these folders/files remotely on the network but it won't let me copy any of the folders/files. No firewall running on either machine.

    To further clarify I get this error message when trying to "copy" files from my PC to laptop:

    "Cannot copy [filename]: Access is denied. Make sure that the disk not full or write-protected and that the file is currently not in use".

    Neither hdd is full, and the files are not in use.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    - Dean
    Did you check the permissions the user has for the network? i.e. the right to copy, modify files, delete etc.

    If you checked all that, and the settings are correct you might need to take ownership of the file/folder...

    http://www.mgforums.com/files/xpownership/

    It was written fairly quickly as I was in a rush, so just ignore the minor mistakes I made (i.e clicking around for no reason)
    Last edited by Vile; Thu 17 Aug '06, 11:01am.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice tut.

      Comment


      • #4
        x -pownership

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Cloud Strife View Post
          Nice tut.
          Thanks...I had a lot people asking how to do this because they came across this error while doing data backups, so it was primarily written for that.
          Webmaster / Administrator
          www.MegaGames.com
          www.MGForums.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Vile View Post
            Did you check the permissions the user has for the network? i.e. the right to copy, modify files, delete etc.
            I'm pretty sure I've done this. The problem isn't related to ownership of my folder (AFAIK), as I can access it fine on my PC, but as soon as I (on my laptop), or any others try to access it, I get the error described in my first post. I've done all the usual, tried giving 'Everyone' full control and such, but I've just got nowhere.

            Originally posted by Vile View Post
            If you checked all that, and the settings are correct you might need to take ownership of the file/folder...

            http://www.mgforums.com/files/xpownership/

            It was written fairly quickly as I was in a rush, so just ignore the minor mistakes I made (i.e clicking around for no reason)
            Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dean C View Post
              I'm pretty sure I've done this. The problem isn't related to ownership of my folder (AFAIK), as I can access it fine on my PC, but as soon as I (on my laptop), or any others try to access it, I get the error described in my first post. I've done all the usual, tried giving 'Everyone' full control and such, but I've just got nowhere.
              Ok, I'll play around with my Network and see what other ideas I can come across....
              Webmaster / Administrator
              www.MegaGames.com
              www.MGForums.com

              Comment


              • #8
                this can be it:
                1)firewall proeblom
                2)no primssions...


                sorry for my bad english

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ImpReSpeEd View Post
                  this can be it:
                  1)firewall proeblom
                  2)no primssions...


                  sorry for my bad english
                  Firewall is not running, and I've checked the permissions.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There are two sets of permissions NTFS and Share
                    NTFS ~>> Guard Your Files Locally
                    Share ~>> Guard Your Files Acrosss the Network

                    The rule to remember is this: When you combine Share + NTFS permissions, the most restrictive ones take over. Also "Deny" overwrites any "Allow" entries if present in any of those two above.

                    My suggestion, set Share permissions to Modify as well as NTFS ones for proper Users or Groups of course.

                    Hope it works
                    @[email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You might need to log into safe mode as admin and reset all folder permissions to allow sharing.

                      Vile, do you remember what I did to fix this problem? It sounds like this problem was similar to the one I had earlier with my friend's laptop
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Its not a firewall problem, the error exists in the message given..
                        If you add the everyone group to allow all R.W.X Create Copy, do all the permissions work properly after doing so?
                        Cannot copy or file in use may also indicate that the file is locked, and is being accessed/changed by some other application.
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
                          Its not a firewall problem, the error exists in the message given..
                          If you add the everyone group to allow all R.W.X Create Copy, do all the permissions work properly after doing so?
                          Cannot copy or file in use may also indicate that the file is locked, and is being accessed/changed by some other application.
                          Sorry for the late reply, but I gave up back then. I'm back again trying to fix this problem. Everyone has permissions to do all of those on this folder. I've no idea what is causing it, it seems to be a high-level probelm as it's happening on everything. One interesting thing I have discovered though is people can view my 'Shared Docs' folder, and open the files, but they cannot copy them. I don't know if this gives any hints as to why no-one can copy my files.
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                          Comment

                          widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X