X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
    Andy, there is no evidence that a bot has overcome it. Whats more likely is that someone registered the account and gave it to a bot for posting. Once the registration part is complete there is nothing stopping it.

We've tried the latest captcha in the decoding algorithms and none have been able to correctly decipher it.
    It has nothing to do with someone registering an account and giving it to a bot. I use moderation so the bots never make it past the point of waiting to be confirmed. I have been deleteing these bots for several months now and just lately as many as a dozen a day.

Yesterday I turned off the captcha and created a simple question that needs to be answered correctly during registration, now the problem is gone.

Leave a comment:

• Scott MacVicar
    replied
    Andy, there is no evidence that a bot has overcome it. Whats more likely is that someone registered the account and gave it to a bot for posting. Once the registration part is complete there is nothing stopping it.

We've tried the latest captcha in the decoding algorithms and none have been able to correctly decipher it.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I disagree. But it is not worth fighting over. Report it as a bug that bots can bypass it and we will fix the problem. Provide evidence of it though.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    According to post #19 the latest version of vBulletin captcha is no better then the older versions.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185108

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    You could always run the forum with the default style from vb, and take a day or two to work on updating the templates. This at least saves you from getting spammed.

3.6 offers better captcha and inline moderation, etc.

Leave a comment:

• SirTalksalot
    started a topic Spam hell

Spam hell

All three of my forums have been hit by the same spam bot at almost the same time today. The format of the posts are always the same, and they absolutely saturate the boards. I need to upgrade my forums immediately, I'm unsure my templates can handle it though.