Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More forum spammers in the last few days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jaks
    replied
    Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
    I'll go you one better then that. We have a hack released on vBfaq that does something similar and really seems to work.

Hack to Prevent Spam

What this does is looks at the posts of new users and if it contains certain words, sends those posts to the moderation que. Then you can approve or deny the post yourself without your members seeing the spam.

You determine the number of posts a user must have before his posts are no longer looked at, and you can choose the 'trigger' words.

That, used in conjunction with the email banning, should cut down your spam dramatically. it has on mine.

-
    This really does work. I still get tons of spam but very rarely do they get past the spam detector. I just add the key bad words to the list and send all posts with more than 2 links into moderation. From there I ban them from my site and block thier IP from the server completely.

Anyway thanks to those that have been sharing lists of email addresses to block. Below is my list of blocked IP's. It's not all of the people I have blocked because I'm lazy and just banned most. This past month has been brutal since updating to VB 3.6.4 - well patched upto that anyway. I can count on one hand the number of spam posts I received prior to the update and now I get at least 6 per day. The email verifications just simply doesn't work right anymore. Only 1/10 seem to get the verification email so I turned it off completely after messing around with different ways to get it working right for a few months. Now I added the Enhanced Captcha and see how that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    I just noticed one of the CAPTCHA images used by a file hosting site. It seems a bit hard to read at first, but is a pretty good idea (such as, type the characters that are this color, or on this line, etc)

Leave a comment:

• fpouk
    replied
    Originally posted by fpouk View Post
    im running 3.6.4 and im getting about 5 or 6 spambots per day..

I know ithat they are bots because i have 2 extra required profile fields and somehow whatever they where gonna posts shows up in those fields and they no make no posts..

for example here is one of their profiles that kept http://www.ncaafanzone.com/forums/member.php?u=292

notice the url and stuff that they where gonna post is in the 2 profile fields so they dont actually make any posts.

If thats not a bot then it is one stupid human lol

crap... just remember i have profile views set for Contributing members.

Leave a comment:

• fpouk
    replied
    im running 3.6.4 and im getting about 5 or 6 spambots per day..

I know ithat they are bots because i have 2 extra required profile fields and somehow whatever they where gonna posts shows up in those fields and they no make no posts..

for example here is one of their profiles that kept http://www.ncaafanzone.com/forums/member.php?u=292

notice the url and stuff that they where gonna post is in the 2 profile fields so they dont actually make any posts.

If thats not a bot then it is one stupid human lol

Leave a comment:

• joeychgo
    replied
    Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
    A few weeks ago, a moderator on my site came up with the idea that if we could moderate new users automatically and promote them once they have reached a certain number of posts *and* a certain number of days, they would automatically br promoted to member status. One of my admins took a look and managed to install this without any mods/hacks. We have to approve a number of posts at the moment, but any occasional spam never gets seen by the members.

It caught us two neo-nazis this week, actually. It was fun to see them wriggle.

Rapscallion

I'll go you one better then that. We have a hack released on vBfaq that does something similar and really seems to work.

Hack to Prevent Spam

What this does is looks at the posts of new users and if it contains certain words, sends those posts to the moderation que. Then you can approve or deny the post yourself without your members seeing the spam.

You determine the number of posts a user must have before his posts are no longer looked at, and you can choose the 'trigger' words.

That, used in conjunction with the email banning, should cut down your spam dramatically. it has on mine.

-

Leave a comment:

• SSSlippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freddie Bingham View Post
    Don't know how many more times that we will need to say this.

Enable all of the imagereg options except random shapes and upload your own fonts. No spam program will get past consistently it if you do that.
    I did not know you could upload your own font. Thats a great idea!

Leave a comment:

• Rapscallion
    replied
    A few weeks ago, a moderator on my site came up with the idea that if we could moderate new users automatically and promote them once they have reached a certain number of posts *and* a certain number of days, they would automatically br promoted to member status. One of my admins took a look and managed to install this without any mods/hacks. We have to approve a number of posts at the moment, but any occasional spam never gets seen by the members.

It caught us two neo-nazis this week, actually. It was fun to see them wriggle.

Rapscallion

Leave a comment:

• cadaha
    replied
    email list

Hi

I have 3.6.4 and have set the image options as recommended earlier. I was getting some spam but it seems to have eased off after banning their email addresses. I have now read this thread through and added all the addys recommended by you guys and the list is below, hope it helps Thanks for the email adresses guys.

@bestfreemall.info @topmeds20.org @web.de @onlinehealthclub.org @freeideasearch.info @gawab.com @megabox.ru @mail.ru @cashette.com @list.ru @spambob.net @gurvitsnojew.org @onlinebestplenty.org @mail.zp.ua @topadult20.info @topvideogalerz.info @ajiex.info @awab.com @fromru.com @fin-online.biz @gurvitsnojew.org @mail.zp.ua @megabox.ru @web.de @ya.ru [email protected] @freeservicemail.info @freefreemail.info @163.com @best-ringtones-online.info @medicinese.org @bestboyfilms.org @telegraf.by @spivare.com @elite1000.org uscreditdepot.com @pokushai.org @googlemail.com @inmail24.com @searchproducts.info @etradeoil.com @youngboys.org

I copied the list straight out of my banned email addresses box so you should be able to just copy and paste directly into your banned emails box

Leave a comment:

• XXSUPERHEROXX
    replied
    after back reading this topic I got a lot of address from those of you who posted them. Thank you for posting them I well be adding the ones not already on the list as soon weed out the ones already listed.

Thank you for supporting the Crusade

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    Don't know how many more times that we will need to say this.

Enable all of the imagereg options except random shapes and upload your own fonts. No spam program will get past consistently it if you do that.

Leave a comment:

• XXSUPERHEROXX
    replied
    Spambots have become A issue at invisinfree as of late it seems there are new programs that get around every type of protection.
    one of the new spambot program http://www.botmaster.net/more1/ gets around every thing.
    I started a master list at invisionfree but they are censoring the issue and deleting/ locking all threads about the problem. So I started Spambotcrusade.
    I have a master list of known spambot wildcards that all can apply to their ban list Please if you can check the list and report any spambots that are not already listed that would help out a great deal in the Crusade against the spambots. http://www.spambotcrusade.com

Thank you for supporting the Crusade.

Leave a comment:

• Alpha-Sun
    replied
    you can usually tell they're spammers when they have their timezone as Eniwetok, Kwajalein

whereever they are!

Leave a comment:

• Analog-x
    replied
    Here is another one to add to the long list the latest one that was increasing on my site.

bestboyfilms.org

Leave a comment:

• Ohiosweetheart
    replied
    Originally posted by Analog-x View Post
    I got an interesting spam today.

User Name: adultfilmz

E-Mail: [email protected]

IP Address: 192.67.45.80

Which resolves to
    OrgName: Natural Resources Canada
    OrgID: NRC-41
    Address: 580 Booth Street
    City: Ottawa
    StateProv: ON
    PostalCode: K1A-0E4

NetRange: 192.67.45.0 - 192.67.45.255
    CIDR: 192.67.45.0/24
    NetName: NRCAN-NET
    NetHandle: NET-192-67-45-0-1
    Parent: NET-192-0-0-0-0
    NetType: Direct Assignment
    NameServer: SUN2.NRCAN.GC.CA
    NameServer: NRN1.NRCAN.GC.CA
    Comment:
    RegDate: 1990-01-03
    Updated: 2005-02-09

OrgTechHandle: AL158-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Lacasse, Alain
    OrgTechPhone: +1-613-943-0739
    OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

Now is the IP Address Spoofed???

I have no idea how I would block this kind of spamming...other than delete the user account.
    ughhh I get this one at least once a week.....

Leave a comment:

• JamieB
    replied
    I've just had bots sending 100's of spam emails to people and crashing my server...

Turns out I had "Send Email to Friend" in usergroups "Awaiting Email Confirmation" set to yes so it was using that to do so

Since turning that off the emails and the server load have stopped

Some emails addresses now in banned emails also are :

@web.de @ajiex.info @best-ringtones-online.info @mail.ru @medicinese.org @list.ru @mail.ru @bestboyfilms.org @telegraf.by @spivare.com @elite1000.org @uscreditdepot.com @pokushai.org @googlemail.com @inmail24.com @searchproducts.info @list.ru @etradeoil.com
    Last edited by JamieB; Wed 13 Dec '06, 12:10pm.

Leave a comment: