Need some help writing interview questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help writing interview questions

I'm trying to arrange an interview with Terry Goodkind (he writes the Sword of Truth books) but I'm not sure if I'm entirely happy with the ten questions I've come up with.

1) How did you first start writing, and what made you realize that it was your "calling", so to speak? Did any particular author(s) have a significant influence on your writing?

2) When you first started Wizard's First Rule, did you have plans to make it an eleven book series, or was it initially intended as a smaller series that grew into something so much more when it was so well received?

3) What character in the series is most like you? Did you make them similar to you intentionally?

4) Even though we'd all love to see the Sword of Truth series continue on for many more novels, that's not the case. What do you plan to do after the Sword of Truth series concludes?

5) Whenever you're having trouble writing a certain part of a novel, is there anything you like to do to get the creative juices flowing?

6) Enough with writing questions, now it's time for the fun ones :-P. What sort of hobbies do you enjoy? (aside from writing, of course!)

7) What was your most embarrassing moment growing up :-P?

8) What is your proudest accomplishment thus far? (not including becoming a New York Times best-selling author!)

9) What's a little known or interesting fact about yourself?

10) What are some of your favorite foods/movies/books/music?

I just feel that some of them are too generic or not interesting enough. What do you think? What should I change or throw away?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Ask him about the creative process: how does he like to work (does he work all night or does he keep "office hours").

Ask him what is was like when he was first published. First, what was his first published work, and second, how did he feel when he saw the print?

Did he overcome any obstacles to become a writer? (This is rather Journalism 101 form-feed question, but it can get interesting results).

Has he always wanted to be a writer, or was this just something he stumbled upon?

And how are you conducting this interview? Is it real-time or just mail him the questions and he responds? Is it face-to-face, phone, or web? If it is real-time and you can interact, you should always try to adapt the interview to what his responses are. Don't be so focused on your questions that if he starts talking about a very interesting topic that you are quick-to-close on it and miss the interesting scoop.

Also, question 7 may not be a good question to ask if you're doing a real-time interview because it makes the interviewee uncomfortable. That is definitely not ideal when you are trying to ascertain key bits of insight from somebody--which generally only happens when you're trying to make your interviewee comfortable.

Oh and lastly, almost every interview ends with "Do you have anything else you'd like to add?" It gives the person being interviewed a chance to expand upon or add anything that you might have missed during the questioning.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

Thanks Rob . I've removed the question you mentioned and added the ones you mentioned (albeit I paraphrased them a bit).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X