Gold Plated USB Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Plated USB Cables

Are there any real advantages to gold plated USB cables? I can't imagine there really would be. A salesperson conned my mother into buying some gold plated cables with which you can feel the "fastness."
    "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
    "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
    Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

They say the performance is is "better and faster" when the contacts are made of gold plating.
    Technically, this is true because gold is a better conductor, but in practice the difference is not noticeable enough to actually see a performance increase, at least in my experience.

Depending on who you ask, some say that gold doesn't oxidize the way other metals do so you will get lower resistance and maintain max speeds, and it's supposed to last longer because gold doesn't tarnish.
    Last edited by Vile; Thu 10 Aug '06, 10:10pm.
    Webmaster / Administrator
    www.MegaGames.com
    www.MGForums.com

Comment

The information is digital, so it is bull to buy gold plated usb connectors etc. It is handy for non digital sound or for coaxial connectors, but not for ethernet or usb or things like that. You don't actually improve stability of the connection or go faster then light or something

Comment

Haha, I figured that would be the case. The guy said you could feel the "fastness" and I knew he was full of it. I feel bad knowing she got screwed out of a couple more dollars. I assume Staples employees are commission based.

Thanks for the info.
        "63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs, you get 1 whacked with a service pack, now there's 63,005 bugs in the code."
        "Before you critisize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you critisize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."
        Utopia Software - Current Software: Utopia News Pro (news management system)

Comment

A lot of headphones come with gold-plated jacks now, for this very reason.
          Forums

Comment

Floris is correct here... gold plate is best used on analogue systems eg: stereo jacks, synths, other music devices. Gold plate reduces signal loss significantly, but only really on analogue systems.
            John

Comment

Originally posted by CeleronXT View Post
              Are there any real advantages to gold plated USB cables? I can't imagine there really would be. A salesperson conned my mother into buying some gold plated cables with which you can feel the "fastness."
              If you're spending more than $5 on any length of USB cable, you're throwing your money away. CompUSA actually marks up their USB 6" cables by 855%, no exaggeration. Best Buy probably buys their cables from the crappiest supplier ever to form on the planet (Monster Cable) and then sells them at a billion percent markup, with some exaggeration there.
              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Hey filbert, I've told you a million and one times not to exaggerate...
                John

Comment

May be he was referring to the "fastness" of your money going in to his cash register
                  Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                  Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
                    If you're spending more than $5 on any length of USB cable, you're throwing your money away. CompUSA actually marks up their USB 6" cables by 855%, no exaggeration. Best Buy probably buys their cables from the crappiest supplier ever to form on the planet (Monster Cable) and then sells them at a billion percent markup, with some exaggeration there.
                    USB cables are another issue, however Monster cables are actually good cables. On a high end systems, there is a clear & noticeable difference when using Monster versus generic cables, so you are definitely wrong there.
                    Webmaster / Administrator
                    www.MegaGames.com
                    www.MGForums.com

Comment

Maybe for analog connections with very good equipment. However, with digital coax cables where 3' is $70, then that's a bit much.
                      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X