Apple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple

Me and my friend allways have debates about this. Can you please ask this simpe question.

Can Macintosh based systems get viruses?

Can the system get hacked?

Yes to both.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      Yes to both.
      Thank You.

Comment

Any system can get viruses and be hacked, its just that Apple systems have a lower chance in general of getting these (arguably because they have a smaller market share and it makes more sense for hackers / virus writers to concentrate on Windows).

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
          Any system can get viruses and be hacked, its just that Apple systems have a lower chance in general of getting these (arguably because they have a smaller market share and it makes more sense for hackers / virus writers to concentrate on Windows).
          Though so. :P

Comment

But you would think at-least one person would make a virus for Mac.

But it's just the way the Mac is built, and doesn't have a registry

Comment

Originally posted by biggyme14 View Post
              But you would think at-least one person would make a virus for Mac.

But it's just the way the Mac is built, and doesn't have a registry
              What does Apple have instead of a registry?

Is Macintosh a subdivision (is that the correct word?) of apple or is Macintosh another name they gave their system such as the Lisa?

Comment

Yes, Macs can be hacked, and virii do exist for them. Neither instances are very common, though. That's the power of a small market share.
                Forums

Comment

just the other day I read an article on Black Hat security site about how latest macs can get rooted in under a minute. go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by harmor View Post

Is Macintosh a subdivision (is that the correct word?) of apple or is Macintosh another name they gave their system such as the Lisa?
                    Macintosh is just the name of Apple's personal computers, like how Dell calls theirs the Dimension. And the latest version of the Macintosh is the iMac.
                    Forums

Comment

Every computer can be haked, it depends on : settings, OS and installed software bugs, hacker skills.

Viruses on Mac (BSD): Theoretically yes, practically very difficult until today.
                      Why that ? Less market, less virus writer for BSD/Linux ? I do not think so ! More difficult to get privileges into the system I would say
                      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

Originally posted by harmor View Post

Mac OS X uses a series of preferences files that are bound to specific applications and system functions. IIRC, they are based on XML.

Macintosh no longer exists. Mac is the new official name, and Macs are a product of Apple Computer--I suppose you could call Mac development a division of Apple, although strictly business-speaking, I don't believe they are.

Macs can get viruses, but it's extremely rare compared to PCs, mainly due to simply low exposure and market share compared to Windows. Macs are more secure for the same reason, but also because it's built on top of a proven, secure, and reliable platform.

The most recent Mac is the Mac Pro, not the iMac. The first iMac model is actually very old.
                        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

And when there are security issues, Apple fixes them pretty quick.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X