• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking solutions

The scenario:
    • 6 poor students living in a 3-storey house

The problem:

We currently are using a Linksys Wireless 54G router to network and also distribute our internet to each of the computers. Unfortunately as soon as we start doing anything over the LAN that is created via the router, the internet grinds to an unusable halt and also the LAN transfer is dreadfully slow (120minutes for 7gb). Could there be any reason why the LAN transfer over the router would be so slow given that it's 54mbit? Also if we switched to a wired solution, what could we use to ensure the LAN is fast for gaming + file sharing.
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Buy two routers?
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel View Post
      Buy two routers?
      How is that going to help?
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

The Linksys WAG-54G is the only one with an ADSL modem in it.
        Are you using an ADSL Line for internet ?

router runs in NAT mode by default which makes the unit suitable for use with single dynamic and static IP address accounts.
        are all the connected computers to router have an internet IP (external IP) or using a LAN IP address (192.168.1.*)?

Have you unchecked unwanted services in router configuration
        DHCP etc. ?

What mode of file transfer are using between networked comuters via router ?

How old is your router (I assume this model was prior to 2003 or 2004

Have you confirmed/checked for any network viruses on your system(s)
        Kindly answer the questions to further help/diagnose your problem..
        TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Get a gigabit switch and put everybody on it (and make sure everybody has 100BaseT bare minimum, gigabit ideally), then connect the switch to the router.

Also, on the WRT54G (likely the router you have), install DD-WRT then cap the upstream to 80% of your actual upstream to avoid people from sapping up all of your upstream bandwidth which cripples your downstream. You can also set up QoS.

(DD-WRT > *)

I've been meaning to get a Gigabit switch for home (8-port minimum), but the price range is starting at $60 for a good brand, which excludes D-Link. I'd also have to spend money on a Gigabit PCI network card for my server to actually take advantage of gigabit transfers between my desktop (built-in gigabit LOM) and the server (100BaseT built-in crappy Ethernet). So probably at least $70 total, plus the joy of installing hardware on Linux.
          --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
          Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
          vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

The problem with wireless is that it operates like a hub, it's shared bandwidth. You will notice a difference in speed if you were to switch to a wired solution. Using Gigabit will not offer a substantial amount of performance unless you transfer huge amounts of data... this is also assuming that you all have GB NICs in each computer that support large data packets. This only applies if you are talking about transferring files on the LAN, not via the internet.

If you're talking about one person downloading a large file from the internet and everyone elses connection slows down, there's not much you can do about that other than purchasing a QoS router.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X