Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you find a sponsor for your web site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you find a sponsor for your web site?

Many people have a great idea for a web site, and many of them simply do not get any further then writing it down on paper or thinking about it because they lack the money to invest into it. But what if you could find a pile of cash to get you started? I think you would give it a go!

So one option is to find an investor or sponsor or advertisers. But how do you find these? I know I have been contacted by various hosting companies in exchange for a banner in the footer (free hosting vs a banner). Or people to offer free software licenses to get their name pushed on the forum, etc.

But take a step back and think about an idea you might have, which might actually require you to plan it all out beforehand (before you go public with the sites and start making revenue). You might need to invest in a dedicated server, a backup server, software licenses, staff members you need to hire, advertising your products and services, etc. A sponsor (or investor) might be handy. How do you find someone who's willing to spend that type of money in your site?

Does anybody have any experience with this?

And taking a step back even further. How well do you prepare yourself? How professional or outlined is your research & development? If you expect 1 user to visit your site per month, there is no use buying a dedicated server for example.

Looking forward to your feedback so I have more things to brainstorm and think about, and to learn from.

I'm not sure if my situation will be of any help at all, but yy first sponsor - Transitions Options - came to me and offered to sponsor OptiBoard in 1997. They continue sponsoring it to this day.

I've had other sponsors throughout the years and all of them contacted me avbout sponsoring. I've never actively sought out any sponsorship.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sorry EDIT!
      Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

I think the key to gaining quality and high-paying sponsorships is to get your sponsors to actively participate in your site. A banner ad or text-link is nice... but a reputation and smiling face is second to none. So many advertisers who have the rights or ability to contribute about their products and/or services for any particular industry completely miss those opportunities. If done in taste and not overdone, it can be one of the most effective means of advertising. Look at the lovable little Matt Cutts for Google... by putting Cutts in the public eye, they have effectively lead thousands of die hard website developers to 'look no further' than google.

But I think the real question should be...

How do I build a website that people will want to come to all the time?

Once you find that answer.. everything always falls into place.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X