Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanaSoft
    replied
    I've got a version of an integrated blog for vBulletin that I'm considering releasing - it combines text and photo blogs:

http://www.extremefitness.com/blog/index.php

Leave a comment:

• MJM
    replied
    Originally posted by Onimua View Post
    ... maybe in another decade, you could order pizza through vBulletin and get it delivered through your computer right there in front of you.
    Maybe in another decade they will have bloat-free pizza, and during consumption an upgrade will be performed by simply clicking install, - unused bloat removed automagically.

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by Tailfeathers View Post
    Well, unless they hire new staff to work on other products, I'd rather them keep working on vBulletin itself. If they start working on other projects with the same number of staff, vBulletin releases will take even longer than they already do and in this competitive market, that'd hurt a lot.
    I honestly never understood this "vBulletin development takes forever" kind of mentality. I don't mean this to sound like an attack or anything, so apologies if you think that way, but it's not the first time I've heard similar comments.

A year for a new version to be released is isn't what I'd consider to be taking too long. In fact, vBulletin 3.0.x took a while mostly because it was from 2.3.x and was a rewrite (hence, majore version). 3.0.x -> 3.5.x wasn't that long really, and 3.5.x -> 3.6.x was faster.

I consider a year to be a good timing for semi-major releases. That way when it goes gold, it was properly tested as much as possible, and you are left with the less chance of some show-stopping bug crashing your forums.

Honestly, just how soon do you want a new, semi-major to major release? You have two extremes: Too long between releases, which means customer demand goes higher but it's not going anywhere and then you end up driving the customer away to because they find something that suits their ever-changing needs (Internet Explorer is a good example I believe). The other extreme is when there are too many releases in a short period of time... this ends up making a customer move away because releases are coming too frequently which means that they have to upgrade their site; to do this, they have to make backups right before, shut down their site, etc., which as most people like to do, plan ahead of time (something that isn't so easy when a new release is back-to-back).

I think a year or so for development and testing for semi-major to major versions is excellent. It's not so close together that you end up falling behind the changing times of the internet and technology, but no so frequent that you get tired of upgrading every other week. Plus, every month or so (more or less), maintainence releases are sent out for their versions so that any bugs found are fixed, minor adjustments made to the system, etc.

I have found vBulletin's development to be quite timely and effecient. So a comment on vBulletin's development taking so long really confuses me, and you aren't the first to say this.

If (and they seem to already have begun paving the roadway, so to speak) they release new products, I'm sure they will get more staff and get more support teams, etc. as the demand grows and more products are introduced, and the workload both on the product development and the support to back it will be redistributed so that it will remain a constant pace across all sides.

Plus, I think the smartest move will be to have vBulletin release, and include one product, and slowly introduce more at a time so that everyone (both staff and customers) get used to there being more supports forums, a somewhat larger ticket system, etc. and just slowly introduce everyone to a wider array of products.

Jelsoft has placed themselves in the perfect position to make such a move, and they have been doing so carefully so that vBulletin development isn't halted while trying to focus on other things as well. Who is to say that Jelsoft HASN'T, outside of... well, Jelsoft, hired developers to work on other products and such in the background, and whose status in the company and what products that could be in the making haven't been announced publicly yet?

There's more and more hints and plans coming to light as things progress... the plugin system, API, etc. All of this, along with the newer technology and improvements with the coding language and such is making work much easier and more possible to do. Who knows... maybe in another decade, you could order pizza through vBulletin and get it delivered through your computer right there in front of you.
    Last edited by Onimua; Tue 8 Aug '06, 11:16pm. Reason: Minor editing for typos and stuff

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    The UserCP allows you to browse through your own attachments. If this was more a gallery like feature with search .. that would be a good step towards a gallery inside vbulletin. Especially if this would have checkboxes with ' make this attachment public ' or something - so when people go to your public profile they can browse through these checked attachments in an easy overview.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    photo gallery would be great.... Id put a deposit on one ASAP

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
    IMHO :

I think it will be better a portal, but.... since someone other is doing a nice job for them and is pushing this job with strenght and also free of charge...

Let's say, it's ok like it is now
    I would really love to see a portal too. I like having a navigation module and recent threads on the left of my forumdisplay page. 3rd party software just doesn't cut it.

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by Rob B View Post
    vBAdvanced does the job for me as a portal. Very good, proffesional product.

I would really like to see a blog though, I nearly chose IPB just for the blog (before sense prevailed )
    I'd just install wordpress and the bridge for vb from vborg if I wanted a blog, and there isn't one from jelsoft.

Leave a comment:

• Rob B
    replied
    vBAdvanced does the job for me as a portal. Very good, proffesional product.

I would really like to see a blog though, I nearly chose IPB just for the blog (before sense prevailed )

Leave a comment:

• GasPipeJimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    Note that users posting the info in this thread are just making assumptions based on small info posts by perhaps staff members - or simply assuming anything.

Until a real announcement is made nothing is written in stone.

I think it is not strange to expect a 3.6.1 with feature/settings/options or security updates. But I think development will now shift to 4.x
    Shut up and get back to work!!!

I would pay money for a blog and a portal.
    hint... hint... hint...

Leave a comment:

• Joe Gronlund
    replied
    3.6.1 then 3.6.2, then i think we just may see 4.0 beta 1.. A CMS would be nice..

Leave a comment:

• Tailfeathers
    replied
    Well, unless they hire new staff to work on other products, I'd rather them keep working on vBulletin itself. If they start working on other projects with the same number of staff, vBulletin releases will take even longer than they already do and in this competitive market, that'd hurt a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew111888
    replied
    I hope sometime soon they release a cms, blog, and gallery, rather than a new version .

Leave a comment:

• Sergio68
    replied
    Originally posted by simsim View Post
    Better asking what will be the next Jelsoft product? I predict a blog.
    IMHO :

I think it will be better a portal, but.... since someone other is doing a nice job for them and is pushing this job with strenght and also free of charge...

Let's say, it's ok like it is now

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    This is why I said in a few threads that Jelsoft should have released another two release canadiates and/or have longer testing periods, so that they will lower the chances of needing to release a 3.6.1.
    A 3.6.1 will come regardless. After all, the testing group testing new versions is relatively small compared to the group using a stable release. A 3.6.1 will come regardless, because of how many more people are using vBulletin in a wider ranger of server environments and settings.

Plus, when and if any security issues are found, it would further the need of releasing another version anyway. I have never heard of a release of anything that has always remained a 1.0.0 -> 1.3.0 (for example) without ever filling out that last digit to cover fixes and seurity holes.

Leave a comment:

• Shining Arcanine
    replied
    Originally posted by PitchouneN64ngc View Post
    3.6.1 (and maybe 3.5.6, 3.0.16 and/or 2.3.11)
    This is why I said in a few threads that Jelsoft should have released another two release canadiates and/or have longer testing periods, so that they will lower the chances of needing to release a 3.6.1.

Leave a comment: