Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Free Blog Software

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best Free Blog Software

    As the title says - whats the best free blog software out there for download?

  • #2
    I personally like and use WordPress (PHP). But there's also Typo (Ruby on Rails), Movable Type (Perl), and TextPattern (PHP). You may want to take a look at this blog breakdown matrix, too.
    Last edited by daemon; Fri 4 Aug '06, 8:26am.
    Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Gary Bolton View Post
      As the title says - whats the best free blog software out there for download?
      WordPress (www.wordpress.org).
      "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        thxs, will take a peep at this wordpress

        Comment


        • #5
          This one seems to come with a forum and photo gallery built into it

          http://blogcms.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Mine would probably suit your needs well unfortuneately it's not finished yet and I don't have an ETA of when it will be .

            Comment


            • #7
              I vote WordPress
              Cricket Phone Talk | Tennessee Vols

              Comment


              • #8
                $wordpress++;

                Comment


                • #9
                  movabletype. all the professional bloggers use it :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'd recommend WordPress over MovableType. I used to be a long-time user of MovableType and thought it was the best thing since, well, movable type. That was a few years ago. These days, WordPress is far superior in terms of both speed and functionality.

                    MovableType renders everything to flat HTML files, which means that every single time you change something, you will need to republish. Restructured the way your archive looks? You'll need to republish your entire blog. Not fun when you have thousands of entries.

                    Think of WordPress as MovableType minus the PERL and the republishing hassles. The only thing I can't get past about WordPress is its skinning system. But maybe that's because I haven't really gotten used to it yet.
                    :)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DirectPixel View Post
                      I'd recommend WordPress over MovableType. I used to be a long-time user of MovableType and thought it was the best thing since, well, movable type. That was a few years ago. These days, WordPress is far superior in terms of both speed and functionality.

                      MovableType renders everything to flat HTML files, which means that every single time you change something, you will need to republish. Restructured the way your archive looks? You'll need to republish your entire blog. Not fun when you have thousands of entries.

                      Think of WordPress as MovableType minus the PERL and the republishing hassles. The only thing I can't get past about WordPress is its skinning system. But maybe that's because I haven't really gotten used to it yet.
                      I would tend to agree with that. And the WordPress skinning system is really confusing, I think, and it's not very intuitive. However, I did manage to build a theme that makes WordPress look as if it's just a normal part of my site. It took a few days to do, though, to figure out the weird file-based template inheritance system .
                      Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by daemon View Post
                        I would tend to agree with that. And the WordPress skinning system is really confusing, I think, and it's not very intuitive. However, I did manage to build a theme that makes WordPress look as if it's just a normal part of my site. It took a few days to do, though, to figure out the weird file-based template inheritance system .
                        I think we've become spoiled with vBulletin's template engine. I remember a few years back when I thought phpBB had a slick template setup. I now laugh at anything that requires flat file editing.
                        Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          One thing that sucks about Wordpress is that if you don't use caching *which is difficult to set up I find* it can cause a lot of excesssive serverload.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I use blogspot instead of using blogging software. I've only recently started blogging within the past few days or so.

                            So addictive
                            Computer Networking Forums
                            www.unlocked-networks.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have been using mutiple type for a while on a private blog, but had more and more questions from people to give me the blog url, so I made a more public blog for friends etc, and now using wordpress. I like WP more

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X