No announcement yet.

Spam - Delete or Ban?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think banning a user is probably better.
    Forums

Comment

I agree with banning too.

Beth
      Last edited by Colin F; Sun 6 Aug '06, 12:16pm.

Comment

And it is fun banning people

But seriously, if you ever made a mistake you at least have the ability to restore the account by updating the usergroups. With deletion that's not an option.

Comment

I personally would do it on a case by case basis.

1. How bad the spam was. (what sort of content)

2. Where it was posted and how many users are likely to see it.

3. How much spam they posted.

4. If they're likely to come back - Miserable User them.

I think I would only ban as a last resort and if the user annoyed me.
          Best Regards,

Matthew M (matius4)

Comment

Just now I banned a user on one of my other forums for attacking me.
            I asked some people in his topic to stop spamming their post count. And even though it was nothing really to misunderstand, that guy thought I would criticise his posts. So he started complaining about me, about the way I administrate my forums and told everyone: "My fellow brothers... ... ". Note, the guy registered just a few days ago. When it came to the point that he called me names and such, I just banned him and his IP range. Just hope not too many people will be blocked because of him. And yes, it felt good banning that guy.
            selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

ban and assimilate..that's what I do

If I'm in need of an account for one or more reasons, i take over the account
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I ban them and move the offending post(s) to a private forum for future reference.

I had a big problem with troublesome members so have had to pre-moderate new accounts.

Comment

I delete them, if they want to re-register I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find it too difficult. Another email and a new account. Why clutter the ban screen at all, and it will be split up into multiple pages soon.
                  Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

I have been deleting one dude over and over. Is there a was to ban by IP?

Comment

I delete spam thrice later permanent bann.
                      TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

I ban the account (So I can keep track of them, also makes it a pain for them as they have to delete the cookie to be able to register again) then put the website they were spaming in the bad words / censor filter so if they are able to register again and post another spam message the link is broken. This has worked well to stop repeate offenders.
                        eqinterface.com | eq2interface.com | wowinterface.com
                        vginterface.com | goBerserker.com
                        7 Full vBulletin Lic.

Comment

Originally posted by tsptom View Post
                          I have been deleting one dude over and over. Is there a was to ban by IP?
                          Yes, it's in the banning options.

Comment

Banned

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
                              Currently I ban them and move the post to a hidden forum so I can compare ip addresses at a later date.
                              Same as that. Wait for a long time and delete the account.
                              TNT for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar View Post
                                I delete them, if they want to re-register I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find it too difficult. Another email and a new account. Why clutter the ban screen at all, and it will be split up into multiple pages soon.
                                That is the thing with bannng, finding a new email and a new account. Whereas if you just delete them they can use the same details over and over again.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X