Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Photography & GPS

I thought people here might be interested in this:

Sony has today announced a very interesting little device for recording the position where photographs are taken. The GPS-CS1 is a small (9 cm / 3.5 in) cylindrical device which you simply attach to a backback or belt loop and carry with you while you shoot, it records your GPS location and this information can later be synchronized with your digital images to provide a map of where your photos were taken. We assume it does this using date and time information stored in the image header (which obviously requires your camera's clock to be synchronized). Interestingly the mapping solution is an online website with maps provided by Google Maps (it appears that the synchronization software will write the GPS location into JPEG EXIF headers).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...sonygpscs1.asp

Cool huh ....

Does Canon have anything like this? I hope it comes out with something.

$150 istn't really that bad a price either.
    Christopher Padfield
    Web Based Helpdesk
    DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

I've forwarded this to my friend from klimcentrumpif.nl as he's a climber and takes a lot of pictures on his travels. Also, he sometimes puts gps info on his site - combining the two now without having to worry about this while traveling might be nice for him.. tnx chris.

Comment

Only problem with this thing is battery life. Less than a day apparently.

[That and it might not work with non Sony cameras]
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

How does it work? Does this device automatically save the location when you take a picture or does it record all day?
        That's the end of that!

Comment

Records all day and then software reads the timestamp from the EXIF data on the photo with the location from the GPS.
          Christopher Padfield
          Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Ah ok thanks! That means I could easily attach it to my girlfriend's car and see where she was? Cool!
            That's the end of that!

Comment

If she takes pictures and shares the flashcard with you so you can match up the timestamps, yeah - or just trust her and ask her and take her word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                Ah ok thanks! That means I could easily attach it to my girlfriend's car and see where she was? Cool!
                Keep her in tow MrNase
                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                  That's exactly what the people at dpreview came up with as an idea There are however already lots of GPS receivers out that there do this sort of thing I believe
                  Christopher Padfield
                  Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

You think they would have just made it so you can press a button on the GPS position recorder and that would just mark a spot on the map as well. Because sometimes you may want to mark a spot on GPS and not necessarily take a picture. Does anyone know if this is possible with this device?

Comment

It keeps track of every move you make .. if you take a picture or not. Later on it just matches up the timestamps.

Comment

I assume you can just record the time from your watch and look it up on the GPS track when you get home.
                        Christopher Padfield
                        Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                          or just trust her and ask her and take her word for it.
                          It was meant as a joke. I trust her with my live.

Too bad it doesn't send it's position every X minutes. For $150 you could disassemble the housing, put everything into a toy and keep track of where your children are.
                          That's the end of that!

Comment

Seeing how children trash everything, that's a waste of money - just chain them. goo'ld fashion way

Comment

Does it only work if you use it in conjunction with a camera? Or can you buy it seperately for other uses than using it with a camera... ie. hiking trails.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X