Good songs of all time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good songs of all time

Hey guys, well one of my initiatives these days is to get ahold of a nice song collection (records, cds) for my own personal collection in order to enjoy them now and time to come -- to share with family, friends and some day my children.

Now I am a young guy, but I am a fan of music in general, and like some of the oldies as well.

I would like to know if you guys (the oldies) could suggest some good song, artists, albumns -- specific songs on specific albumns would be good too!

I have gotten ahold of albumns from Otis Redding after hearing "These Arms of Mine" on the TV Show LOST, as well as "Make your own kind of music" from Mamas and Papas also from LOST -- now I havn't heard of any of these artists and didn't like some of the songs other than these specific ones from LOST, but I really love this slow (lazy) songs and really want to expand my collection on top of what my dad has to incorporate a wide array of arists.

Again, I am a fan of music period, anything with a good beat and good lyrics!

Most all of Pink Floyd's albums are good. Especially Dark Side of the Moon. (Edit: And Pink Floyd's The Wall, as well. Can't forget that. )

Pink Floyd, for me, is hard to put into a specific genre. I guess rock, but it's definitely not a rock album in terms of style. It's very mellow, and listening to it feels more like a journey than anything else.
    Last edited by DirectPixel; Sat 29 Jul '06, 12:49am.
    :)

Comment

Originally posted by DirectPixel View Post
      Most all of Pink Floyd's albums are good. Especially Dark Side of the Moon.
      Hey thanks...also if you could maybe post the genre of music and a date, that'd be great!

Comment

You could check out Pandora.
        You make a radio selection and Pandora will then find similar types of artists to suit your tastes.

Comment

That is a neat tool. I checked out Pandora and really not getting anything I like.

I am asking for personal preferences too! Share a moment You and your loved one's love song, or something...

Comment

Hmmm, by oldies, do you mean 1950's and such? If so, here you go.
            My Way - Frank Sinatra
            Ney York, New York - Frank Sinatra
            Fly Me To The moon - Frank Sinatra
            Comy Fly With Me - Frank Sinatra
            Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli

Now, the albums? Some of the Sinatra songs are from 'my way - the best from frank sinatra'. The rest? I'm very sorry but I don't know them.

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz View Post
              My Way - Frank Sinatra

Now, the albums? Some of the Sinatra songs are from 'my way - the best from frank sinatra'. The rest? I'm very sorry but I don't know them.
              Maybe even anything from whenever - now, that is famous and good

Comment

Sum 41 - The Hell Song
                Sum 41 - Pieces
                Blink 182 - All the Small Things
                Blink 182 - Dammit
                Blink 182 - What's My Age Again
                Blink 182 - Story of a Lonely Guy
                Green Day - Whatsername

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan View Post
                  Maybe even anything from whenever - now, that is famous and good
                  I suggest you look for/download Frank Sinatra's songs. I love them all, I'm sure you will too.

Comment

Originally posted by eXaulz View Post
                    My Way - Frank Sinatra

I got ahold of a CD that my aunt has and those are some really good songs! I have heard Can't Take My Eyes off you too -- played it for my ex-gf, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan View Post
                      I got ahold of a CD that my aunt has and those are some really good songs! I have heard Can't Take My Eyes off you too -- played it for my ex-gf, lol.
                      Hah!

Comment

It is all down to personal taste of course, but if you are wanting a total and complete record collection, you should add some music from the Ambient and Progressive Rock genres. Try obtaining some of the following:

Older Progressive Rock
                        Genesis: Trick of the Tail, Seconds Out, And then there were Three
                        Pink Floyd: Wish you were here
                        Yes: Close to the Edge (classic - one of the best albums of all time)
                        Manfred Manns Earth Band: the Roaring Silence

Recent Progressive Rock
                        Frost: Black Light Machine (free mp3 here - http://www.rosfest.com/Sounds_&_MP3/...%20Machine.mp3)
                        Syzygy: Moth or Distant Light (available free from their www site)

Ambient

Global Communication: Pentamerous Metamorphosis (superb Ambient album)
                        Pete Namlook: The Fires of Ork
                        Steve Roach: Calm Before the Storm
                        Me: Dark (one of my shorter pieces free here http://www.mrjohn.co.uk/music/dark.mp3 )
                        Me: Electric Chariot (another of mine http://www.mrjohn.co.uk/music/electric.mp3 )

Prog Rock is very orchestral in nature and has some superb musical colours and expressions - especially guitar and moog synth work. Ambient, well... little or no lyrics, that music that takes you wherever you want to go really. My fav génre.

Could name a lot more, but that's several hours worth... happy researching.
                        Last edited by TheMusicMan; Sat 29 Jul '06, 4:19pm.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by TheMusicMan View Post
                          It is all down to personal taste of course, but if you are wanting a total and complete record collection, you should add some music from the Ambient and Progressive Rock genres. Try obtaining some of the following:

Older Progressive Rock
                          Genesis: Trick of the Tail, Seconds Out, And then there were Three
                          Pink Floyd: Wish you were here
                          Yes: Close to the Edge (classic - one of the best albums of all time)
                          Manfred Manns Earth Band: the Roaring Silence

Recent Progressive Rock
                          Frost: Black Light Machine (free mp3 here - http://www.rosfest.com/Sounds_&_MP3/...%20Machine.mp3)
                          Syzygy: Moth or Distant Light (available free from their www site)

Ambient

Global Communication: Pentamerous Metamorphosis (superb Ambient album)
                          Pete Namlook: The Fires of Ork
                          Steve Roach: Calm Before the Storm
                          Me: Dark (one of my shorter pieces free here http://www.mrjohn.co.uk/music/dark.mp3 )
                          Me: Electric Chariot (another of mine http://www.mrjohn.co.uk/music/electric.mp3 )

Prog Rock is very orchestral in nature and has some superb musical colours and expressions - especially guitar and moog synth work. Ambient, well... little or no lyrics, that music that takes you wherever you want to go really. My fav génre.

Could name a lot more, but that's several hours worth... happy researching.
                          I really like your Electric, know any ambient music along this lines? I like ambient songs too, and would like to expand my collection of these too.

Comment

Originally posted by Greps View Post
                            Green Day - Whatsername
                            I love that song..
                            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Other good songs are;

Play That Funky Music White Boy - KC and The Sunshine Band
                              That's The Way I LIke It - KC and The Sunshine Band
                              Just The Two of Us - Al Green

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X