Phpbb - phpbbserver.com
    Ipb - invisionfree.com
    YaBB - yabbforum.com
    Exco - excoboard.com
    bb - bbboard.com

Tell me which you like.

[edit by floris]
    Removed the URLs to our competitors. We're trying to sell vbulletin here
    Last edited by Floris; Mon 24 Jul '06, 9:01pm.

If you add them all up together, you get 10% of what vBulletin is right now

*oh snap*

I've noticed you've been posting here as an unlicensed member, this is fine.. but is your interest in purchasing vBulletin? You can do so here http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

ps you got the URL for IPB and phpBB wrong.

Comment

I've used IPB, phpBB and some others. None of them come out on top like vBulletin though .
      Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

The only one I would ever consider other than Vb is Simple Machines.

But it still doesn't come close to what Vb offers. If you're serious about your forum, then invest in Vb. Let me break it down into cars....

phpbb - Ford Pinto (generic - doesn't mean your serious about your board)
        simple machines - Ford Tauras (sP) - (you're serious enough to put no investment into your site. Usually ran by the 'open source software should be cost-free crowd.' Remember, you invest in as much in a company as they do in you)
        Vb - You mean business.

peace out

Comment

Personally, for me, the only two forum scripts that I would ever use would be either Vanilla or vBulletin.

Need a fast forum solution that's to-the-point and consistant with the latest in web standards? Choose Vanilla.

Need a full-featured forum that has all the latest capabilities organized in the easiest-to-use manner? Choose vBulletin.

One is free, the other is only $160, so you've got both ends of the price spectrum. These two products pretty much put everything else to shame.
          :)

Comment

What's Vanilla? I've never heard of it before.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Each forum software offers something the other doesn't have. Consider that the majority of people arent that web savvy in php or html.

My experience with phpbb is limited. Yabb, Exco, BBboard experience is non existant as well.

My experience with IPB and VBulletin is high though. And its usually a toss up between the 2 in terms of features. Thats also obvious by the number of people that wish to compare the 2 or end up with IPB and VB as the main choices.

I NEVER call a forum software (or really anything at all) 'full featured' because the simple fact is, no software really is. Its most always missing stuff that the competitors have and may not have what you want or need. As well, some things make sense while other things don't. The plug-in system makes sense, while the fact you don't have an immediate choice between advanced edit or quick edit makes almost no common sense. If I want advanced edit I have to choose quick edit first. Thats poor IMO.

VB and IPB are very similar which is why people always like to compare the 2. However which one is best is a toss up. They both have their pro's and cons. VB support is generally faster and better and the plug-in system is nice. IPB I would consider the more advanced of the 2 in features and style. However because VB has been around longer, more software products are better incorporated for it. However other forum software are now being better incorporated as well.

Confusing? Well of course things will be if you are used more to one way than another. Work on a VB board for awhile then try phpbb. Of course things will be confusing for awhile. I can also name features that at least IPB has (since my work on phpbb and the others listed is almost non-existant) that VB doesnt or incorporated after IPB and vice versa.

Breakdown. When it comes down to style and features my opinion is that IPB's are better incorporated and more advanced. When it comes to ease of use and support VB is better.

PHPBB, IPB, Vanilla, VB comparison:

http://www.forummatrix.org/compare/v...-Board+Vanilla

You can also compare other forum software.

My website currently uses VB 3.6 RC2. But NOT because its VB or because of features. Only because the other software I use better incorporates with it to help keep consistancy. The plug-ins on my site I have been finding are actually crippling and slowing the board even though I'm on a dedicated server. And no I havent added very many.
              Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Tue 25 Jul '06, 7:13am.

Comment

I have a lot of sites running on phpBB and that older free version of invisionboard. Just until I get a license to convert. And it's a great way to see if a site takes off or not. I also use SMF and tried vanilla. In the end .. I just try to get a vB license simply because it just has everything under the hood.. and completed too.

Comment

I've used phpBB, Ivisionfree, Invision Power Board and Proboards. They all suck.

Comment

What are you using right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post

*oh snap*

I've noticed you've been posting here as an unlicensed member, this is fine.. but is your interest in purchasing vBulletin? You can do so here http://www.vbulletin.com/order/

Oh shiznicks, double-buuurn!!!!

Comment

And there's WWWBoard. I think many of us tried that one at one time or another.
                        Kim

Comment

*oh snap*

you should have youre own referal number Floris

Comment

What are you using right now?
                            Nothing. I've given up on websites and forum making.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X