Advanced Micro Buys ATI, Graphics Maker, for $5.4 Billion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advanced Micro Buys ATI, Graphics Maker, for $5.4 Billion

July 24 (Bloomberg) -- Advanced Micro Devices Inc., the world's second-biggest semiconductor maker, agreed to buy ATI Technologies Inc. for $5.4 billion, adding computer-graphics chips to its product lineup.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...worldwide_news
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Quite an interesting move, I wonder if AMD will be able to fine-tune the ATI graphics cards and persuade me to one-day make the switch from Nvidia
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I'm quit amazed, I always saw AMD <-> Nvidia as a good combination, better then AMD<->ATI, and now AMD is buying ATI. Amazing to me...
      It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
      Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment

Not too surprising...I would have thought it would happen sooner. I wonder if AMD is feeling the heat from Conroe and wants to appeal to gamers by developing a proprietary--but speedy--graphics/processor/motherboard packaged solution.

I still prefer Intel generally but nVidia strongly. I hold to my belief that while both nVidia and ATI drivers suck now, nVidia drivers suck less.
        --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
        Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
        vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1 View Post
          Not too surprising...I would have thought it would happen sooner. I wonder if AMD is feeling the heat from Conroe and wants to appeal to gamers by developing a proprietary--but speedy--graphics/processor/motherboard packaged solution.

I still prefer Intel generally but nVidia strongly. I hold to my belief that while both nVidia and ATI drivers suck now, nVidia drivers suck less.
          Hmm interesting, I always found Nvidia drivers to be inferior. Anyway might be good news if they decide to do cheap bundles for gamers .

Comment

Originally posted by Wynand View Post
            I'm quit amazed, I always saw AMD <-> Nvidia as a good combination, better then AMD<->ATI, and now AMD is buying ATI. Amazing to me...
            Nvidia is probably too expensive, but I am glad AMD did not buy them, as then I would be locked into using ATI on Intel platforms when I want to get rid of ATI and switch to Nvidia, as Nvidia is so close to AMD that a merger between the two of them would hurt my options on Intel platforms.

Comment

As I understand it, AMD is moving to a more extensible HT system that will allow for multiple application-specific CPUs to run cooperatively. Maybe they want a GPU option too.

Comment

I moved from AMD to Intel CPU
                And I moved from nVidia to ATI GPU

I wonder what the mac pro will be .. intel core 2 extreme with nvidia instead of trusty apple+ati ? ......
                Looking forward to wwdc

Comment

I've only used ATI on my Macs and pick it because of "Hardware QuickTime acceleration." ATI and Apple go together…for me at least. I just bought a R9800 256MB for my MDD a couple months ago (for CoreImage for Aperture) but use the S-Video out for watching video on my TV now (DL.tv on a 29inch TV is so washed out at 640x480).

Comment

It just stuck me. Intel relies on ATI's chipsets for its budget motherboards. If AMD buys ATI, Intel will probably lose its source of budget chipsets. That probably encouraged the deal. It would probably allow Intel to file an antitrust lawsuit against AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
                      It just stuck me. Intel relies on ATI's chipsets for its budget motherboards. If AMD buys ATI, Intel will probably lose its source of budget chipsets. That probably encouraged the deal. It would probably allow Intel to file an antitrust lawsuit against AMD.
                      http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/07...ipset_license/
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
                        Quite an interesting move, I wonder if AMD will be able to fine-tune the ATI graphics cards and persuade me to one-day make the switch from Nvidia
                        Nice reply was thinking the same.

Comment

Ouch ..

Comment

Is this confirmed? This has been reported at least three or four times in the past now.
                            Forums

Comment

I think the buyout still needs approval from the ATI Shareholders.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X