Are Those Free Proxies Safe to use???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Those Free Proxies Safe to use???

I would like to mask my IP for various things and just learned about these "Free Proxy Lists" that you can use to do just that. I was wondering if these are "safe" to use? Can you get viruses/spyware from using these proxies? What about session theft or password theft? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

More importantly, is it safe ... because the traffic goes through them, what do they store? Do they use what they store?

I don't trust the ones you can just get from the internet.

Comment

Well... I am not so worried about them stealing my sessions/data... more than I am worried about them loading spyware/viruses on my computer. I only need to use them vary sparingly. Do you know if I can get spyware/viruses through the free proxy?

Also... are there pay-for proxies that are trustworthy? I have been looking without finding any. Thanks!

Comment

I use HideMyAss.com, and it's always been good for me.
        Forums

Comment

ROFL at the link from Quilzz

Comment

Well, that's what it's called...
            Forums

Comment

You shouldn't cuss on vbulletin.com.

Comment

Don't use proxy

Most proxies are not meant for anonimity, You should use socks 5 or 4, proxies send your real IP address through http while socks doesn't, there are many sites that contain socks, just google it.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
                  You shouldn't cuss on vbulletin.com.
                  He was saying the name of a website, he wasn't cussing.. O_o

Ne'way, uhm, usually when you have a "transparent" proxy you're safe from data interpretation. I don't think you have to worry about spyware if you look at a reliable list of proxies.

Comment

Originally posted by gptreasure View Post
                    Most proxies are not meant for anonimity, You should use socks 5 or 4, proxies send your real IP address through http while socks doesn't, there are many sites that contain socks, just google it.

You don't need a socks proxy for anonimity. All you need is an anonymous proxy. While your correct that the majority of open proxies are not anonymous any anon proxy will do the job.

@kevin, I believe there is just as much risk from viruses/spyware with regular browsing as with proxy browsing.
                    Last edited by Cloud Strife; Sun 16 Jul '06, 5:43am.

Comment

Searching for safe & working proxies was a nightmare before I knew of JAP. I'm using it for about 2 years now & never looked back.
                      You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X