Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need suggestions for a laptop (school, work and more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's already a recall program in place and there has been for a while. I don't believe any of their new models use the batteries in question, either (I know mine doesn't). It's just being hyped.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that that particular laptop that caught fire wasn't even on the recall list.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Just the fact that problem is out there is sort of pushing me away from Dell -- but I just customized one badass notebook with Dell

Comment

When is the deadline .. when do you want to go and actually make a purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
            When is the deadline .. when do you want to go and actually make a purchase?
            Well there isn't an actual deadline, but someone told me to wait till the end of September.

Comment

Core 2 Duo mobile will def. be an option then with dell and mac intels.

Comment

Dunno if this helps you at all, but I just bought a Dell Inspiron E1405 yesterday. It has a 1.66 GHz Intel Centrino Duo processor, a 14.1'' XGA+ widescreen (mine has a glossy screen, but you can get a matte if you prefer), 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB hard drive and a CD/DVD burner. Unfortunately, the best you're going to get for a video card is the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. It can run Vista and a few games, but I don't know how well it will hold up for what you plan to do with the notebook. Best of all, I got it for about $850, after finding a coupon good for $350 off.
                Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
                  Don't you think a Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 it's considered decent

If you want to play games forget Mac and buy a desktop or better yet an X-box or a PSP or something like that.
                  May be it's nothing but other then obvious Cam+Remote control+Front Row media center + OsX with all the features you know (?) you also got the only laptop connected to the powersource with the magnet system, you fell on it and get disconnected without any damage.
                  MagSafe is not worth the extra money.
                  Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                    Dunno if this helps you at all, but I just bought a Dell Inspiron E1405 yesterday. It has a 1.66 GHz Intel Centrino Duo processor, a 14.1'' XGA+ widescreen (mine has a glossy screen, but you can get a matte if you prefer), 1 GB of RAM, 120 GB hard drive and a CD/DVD burner. Unfortunately, the best you're going to get for a video card is the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950. It can run Vista and a few games, but I don't know how well it will hold up for what you plan to do with the notebook. Best of all, I got it for about $850, after finding a coupon good for $350 off.
                    Where do you find coupons for that much off? I could really use a discount like that

Comment

It was one of those "E-Value Codes" that you often find in those Dell catalogues. The exact one I used was: 6W300 - D80711F. It actually starts off at about $699, but I upgraded the screen, added Bluetooth and included a WinXP re-installation CD. I don't know if that promotional code still works, but if it does, they include the 120 GB hard drive, which is a very nice bonus, I think. However, if this doesn't work for you, check other places like Gotta Deal for coupons that give you 30% off, or $750 off.
                      Forums

Comment

Its tough to find them for Canada. I am most likely going with the Macintels (will probably wait it out). Unless I come across a super notebook.

Comment

Originally posted by Arunan View Post
                          Its tough to find them for Canada. I am most likely going with the Macintels (will probably wait it out). Unless I come across a super notebook.
                          Buy one across the border
                          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                            Buy one across the border
                            Not a bad idea I'll be in the states in a few weeks too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X