Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need suggestions for a laptop (school, work and more)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arunan View Post
    Thanks for that great post. You think you could pm me the insider secrets of finding coupons :P I only know of a few, but more would be helpful -- for Canada, if possible
    I did something I swore I would never do: buy a coupon off eBay. 30% off for $0.99, meaning I saved $450 for a dollar. I had to order through Dell EPP which, in this particular case, involves the educational store offered by my university (ordered online, I just use their unique ID to enter the store).

I could have saved $20 more by using Dell DPA but I didn't want to open a line of credit, even though I could have paid it off with no interest or fees as soon as I got a statement. It's a rare find to get a coupon that works on their XPS systems.

Unfortunately, most of the US coupons don't work in the Canada store. Here are some Canadian ones: http://www.techbargains.com/coupons.cfm . Unfortunately pretty crappy, maxing out at about 10%.
    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
      And they come with build in wireless and webcam and all the things you're looking for, hardware and software wise.
      Actually no. He stated he wanted something with a decent graphics card. In order to play games on a Mac decently, you would have to spend $2000+ just to get a decent video card. You can buy an even more powerful PC with even more powerful graphics card from Dell for $1000 cheaper. Where is the incentive? A web camera? lol. As sexy as Mac Book Pros are, they are way to over priced. Using OS X is not worth $1000.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I am thinking of going 13 inch MacBook, and a Nintendo Wii for gaming

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie View Post
          Actually no. He stated he wanted something with a decent graphics card. In order to play games on a Mac decently, you would have to spend $2000+ just to get a decent video card. You can buy an even more powerful PC with even more powerful graphics card from Dell for $1000 cheaper. Where is the incentive? A web camera? lol. As sexy as Mac Book Pros are, they are way to over priced. Using OS X is not worth $1000.
          Don't you think a Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 it's considered decent

If you want to play games forget Mac and buy a desktop or better yet an X-box or a PSP or something like that.
          May be it's nothing but other then obvious Cam+Remote control+Front Row media center + OsX with all the features you know (?) you also got the only laptop connected to the powersource with the magnet system, you fell on it and get disconnected without any damage.
          Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
          Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
            Are you looking for ultraportables or more in the "thin and light" category?
            I ultimately want something that is very light and thin, but a power house (if there is such a thing)
            Last edited by someuser190826; Fri 29 Jun '07, 11:17am.

Comment

Approximately less than 6lbs I bet right?
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I ultimately want something that is very light and thin, but a power house (if there is such a thing)
                You can get good processing power in a thin package, but good graphics are another story. The XPS M1210 was the closest thing in my price range (~$1000) that I could find that does that; it's small but thick, which I don't mind so much. There is an Asus notebook for double the price that has an X1600 in it with comparable other processing power that I would have wanted, but not at $2000.
                --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by Sergio68 View Post
                  Don't you think a Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 it's considered decent

If you want to play games forget Mac and buy a desktop or better yet an X-box or a PSP or something like that.
                  May be it's nothing but other then obvious Cam+Remote control+Front Row media center + OsX with all the features you know (?) you also got the only laptop connected to the powersource with the magnet system, you fell on it and get disconnected without any damage.
                  For $2000, no.
                  Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I am currently looking at the V6J...any other suggestions?

One of my main focus is battery life as well!

Comment

I am currently looking at the V6J...any other suggestions?

One of my main focus is battery life as well!
                      When I get home I'll login into the Asus notebook area and see if there are some new merom notebooks in the works
                      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

When I get home I'll login into the Asus notebook area and see if there are some new merom notebooks in the works
                        Has merom been released?

Comment

Has merom been released?
                          It's scheduled for August 2006.

Comment

It's scheduled for August 2006.
                            Thats cool. What are the basic advantages over the specs of the V6J processor from the Merom? (Other than the processor clock).

And do you think its worth for me to wait?

Comment

My opinion is that it is definitely worth the wait. While I don't have any of the Asus Merom notebook specs out yet, you'll definitely benefit with the Merom chips.

The stuff I know that's been disclosed are:

a) 64 Bit Extensions.
                              b) 20% Increase in Performance while Increased Battery Life over Yonah notebooks.
                              c) 4MB On-Die Cache.
                              d) rumoured, but I've read that the introduction of Merom will change the WiFi chipset to be 802.11n draft ready.

Other stuff, might be important to you, virtualization and Advanced Smart Cache. That's all I know and can disclose for the moment

Comment

I guess I am waitin then. What may the introductory market price be at the time?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X