New Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hard Drive

My Dell Dimension Hard Drive crapped the bed.
    So I'm out to shop for a new one.
    Like all things electronic, it's not an easy task.
    Do I get SATA, SCSI, ATA/IDE??? And what does that mean?

What is MB of buffer, and what is a good amount?

As for the total size, the one I am replacing is 160GB, and it was never close to filled. So in this case, size does not matter (too much).

How about speed, it looks like 7200 RPM is pretty standard, is that what I go for?

I appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
    Cliff
    Cliff
    PathLabTalk
    Square Wheels Cycling

Depends on your system specs, SCSI would be best, but will your system support it?
    I would recommend Maxtor, but i am sure others have favorite brands as well..

I would recommend a 200GB, with 7200 RPM..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

How can I tell if my system will support it?
      Cliff
      PathLabTalk
      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

Does it have a SCSI port or chain, that will allow you to connect a SCSI device to it?

If your not sure, just post your motherboard make and model, and i could look it up.

You could also just buy a SCSI card, to make it compatible..
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

You'll want at least 7200 RPM.
          Forums

Comment

If you provide the model number of your system, we can tell you what is compatible.

If you have to ask what SCSI is, in all likelyhood, you don't have it. SCSI setups are expensive.
            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Are you talking about a server or a workstation?
              Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
              Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Most Dell Desktops are IDE/ATA you can get a Hitachi Deskstar with 250GB for around £40-50 on ebay.

There
                7200 RPM
                8MB cache buffer
                ATA 133 (Your dell might support ATA 100 but dont worry the 133 will work on them still as there
                backwards compatible and you hardly spot the slow down)

Comment

I myself have only had one maxtor and it failed within 6months. I've heard lots of stories from people with bad experiences with Maxtors. Western Digital and Seagate are probably the two best
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I have a 200 GB Maxtor that has been running for two years or so with no problems.
                    --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                    Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                    vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I have 2 80GB Maxtor drives in a Raid 0 array that have been plugging away for 3 years now. I also have a 200GB Maxtor drive that has been working for over 2 years and a 300GB that has been working for over a year.

My suggestion would be a 7200rpm drive made by Western Digital, Seagate, or Maxtor. The size is basically up to you.
                      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

I've had 2 Maxtors die one me, so I usually only stick to Seagate & WD.
                        If you don't mind spending the extra money, you should look into a Western Digital Raptor (10,000 RPM) drive...They are extremely quick and will load your OS much faster than the standard 7,200 RPM drives, but of course this will only work if you system supports SATA...
                        If you'd rather have quantity over speed however, go for a bigger 7,200 RPM drive instead.

Also, not sure if you guys read, but:
                        Seagate Technology To Acquire Maxtor Corporation

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/...2924^1,00.html
                        SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY TO ACQUIRE MAXTOR CORPORATION

Combination Will Provide Increased Scale To Drive Product Innovation,
                        Maximize Operational Efficiencies

Transaction Expected To Be At Least 10-20% Accretive For Shareholders
                        On A Cash EPS Basis After First Full Year Of Combined Operations

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—21 December 2005—

Seagate (NYSE: STX) and Maxtor (NYSE: MXO) today jointly announced they have entered into a definitive agreement under which Seagate will acquire Maxtor in an all stock transaction. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Maxtor shareholders will receive .37 shares of Seagate common stock for each Maxtor share they own. When the transaction is completed Seagate shareholders will own approximately 84% and Maxtor shareholders will own approximately 16% of the combined company. The value of the transaction is approximately $1.9 billion.

The combination of Seagate and Maxtor will build on Seagate’s foundation as the premier global hard disc drive company, leveraging the strength of Seagate’s significant operating scale to drive product innovation, maximize operational efficiencies, and realize significant cost synergies. These capabilities will enable the combined company to compete more effectively as the highly competitive data storage industry addresses the challenges and opportunities for significant growth that lie ahead. The combined company will be well-positioned to accelerate delivery of a diverse set of compelling and cost-effective solutions to the growing customer base for data storage products.
                        Last edited by Vile; Thu 6 Jul '06, 1:08am.
                        Webmaster / Administrator
                        www.MegaGames.com
                        www.MGForums.com

Comment

Originally posted by dilbert View Post
                          My Dell Dimension Hard Drive crapped the bed.
                          So I'm out to shop for a new one.
                          Like all things electronic, it's not an easy task.
                          Do I get SATA, SCSI, ATA/IDE??? And what does that mean?

What is MB of buffer, and what is a good amount?

As for the total size, the one I am replacing is 160GB, and it was never close to filled. So in this case, size does not matter (too much).

How about speed, it looks like 7200 RPM is pretty standard, is that what I go for?

I appreciate any tips.

Thanks,
                          Cliff
                          If you go to a few hard drive manufactorers you can probably find a few simple images explaining which is what.

My IDE ata133 drive of 160gb is breaking down because it is spinning 24/7 and they're simply not made to do this. It will be replaced with an new I/O board on the PCI slot which supports sata2 300, which is what the drive will be, the seagate 7200.10 sata2 320gb ncq one. And I have 3 more slots to expand in the future.

I have a good handfull of 80/160 hd's from both maxtor and wd and they're performing great and silent, and never failed on me. This 160gb one was a refurbished one I got pretty cheap and the exception to the rule.

Good luck with your new hd setup!

Comment

and part of the reason Maxtor was being acquired was the massive QA problems they are having.
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Vile View Post
                              I've had 2 Maxtors die one me, so I usually only stick to Seagate & WD.
                              If you don't mind spending the extra money, you should look into a Western Digital Raptor (10,000 RPM) drive...They are extremely quick and will load your OS much faster than the standard 7,200 RPM drives, but of course this will only work if you system supports SATA...
                              If you'd rather have quantity over speed however, go for a bigger 7,200 RPM drive instead.

Also, not sure if you guys read, but:
                              Seagate Technology To Acquire Maxtor Corporation

http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2924^1,00.html
                              If your looking for speed, a perpendicular Seagate is a lot more bang for your buck than a 10k Raptor. They are pretty much identical speed wise but blow the Raptors out of the water with capacity and price/GB ratio. Running 7200rpm will give you less noise, heat, and wear.
                              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X