Windows Vista Beta 2 Released to the Public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Vista Beta 2 Released to the Public

Late Wednesday, Microsoft made Windows Vista Beta 2 available to the public, letting anyone download or order a DVD of the pre-release version of Vista. Microsoft expects more than 2 million people to test Vista Beta 2.

"The Windows Vista Customer Preview Program [CPP] makes a pre-release edition of Windows Vista Ultimate broadly available to the public for the first time," a statement on Microsoft's Web site reads. "Beta 2 is intended for developers, IT professionals, and technology experts to continue or begin their testing of Windows Vista. This is beta code and shouldn't be used in a production environment or on a main machine in the home."

That's for sure. In my testing of Vista Beta 2 on various desktop and notebook computers, I've noted an alarming number of reliability problems spanning a wide range of hardware. In my opinion, Vista Beta 2 isn't ready for the public, and only those with extra PCs and the ability to handle the problems that will inevitably pop up should consider installing it. Vista Beta 2 shouldn't replace Windows XP on anyone's main PC yet.

Microsoft says it will later make a Release Candidate 1 (RC1) build of Vista available through the CPP. Hopefully, by that time the product will be more reliable and stable. According to the company, Vista Beta 2 and Vista RC1 will expire in June 2007.

You can order Vista Ultimate Beta 2 on DVD, or you can download a 3.5GB ISO version (4.4GB for the x64 version). To access the Vista Beta 2 CPP, use the following URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...y/preview.mspx

Source
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Yeah, I got the link off someone this morning. Still, I tried 12hours ago to download, and it says they are experiencing too much traffic. And I just tried now and it's the same. Tedious...
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Downloaded late last night! I am using it right now... All I can say is bleh. At start up no programs running except the default items it's using 850MB of memory!!!!!!!!!!! I only have 1 Gig! I think I can say good bye to Battlefield 2 while on the Vista side haha
      http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

Thanks for info...
        I wouldn't take a chance.

Comment

Got it running on a machine and boy .. does it feel like they're been going ' apple style '.

Oh well, as long as it works right? Thankfully we can turn most of that bloated visual stuff off and go back to a simple clean and nice looking design.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Thankfully we can turn most of that bloated visual stuff off and go back to a simple clean and nice looking design.
              Go right ahead, but I will be keeping it on.

Comment

I tried going back to XP today but it just wasn't the same! I really got used to the Aero style... I like it... Other than that I hate it
                http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

Comment

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.
                  This is doing my head in now....

Comment

Well, I'm downloading it from the UK location and currently getting 725/k sec which means I'll get the download in about 1hour 15 mins

And yes...this post was just to brag
                    Best Regards,

Matthew M (matius4)

Comment

Originally posted by matius4 View Post
                      Well, I'm downloading it from the UK location and currently getting 725/k sec which means I'll get the download in about 1hour 15 mins

And yes...this post was just to brag
                      That's not fair

Comment

Haha, they've blocked Firefox users from getting it. Just loaded the page in IE and FF at the same time and IE works and FF doesn't. Bad MS...

Comment

Hello,

I just downloaded it, installed it and sound card on sony vaio not compatible and wifi connection on a belkin router impossible.

Otherwise nice design but it did freeze twice so i came back to the genuine SP2 with the free Microsoft [email protected] to follow the world cup results.

I like the new clock lol. And right about comments above, just like Apple.

Best regards,
                          Francois
                          BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
                          Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
                          Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

My tablet supports Aero Glass thanks to beta Vista drivers, but just barely. Vista thinks not enough and will quickly revert to ugly Aero Basic.

Any way to tell it to stop trying to be clever and just keep it on battery-draining yet pretty Aero Glass?
                            --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                            Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                            vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

The aero glass is very pretty indeed, but is it as battery draining as you experience? Or could it be something else? Because when I go to the resource proc overview there's just so much crap loaded there .. like having 2 operating systems running at the same time It's nice that we will soon all have laptops etc with 5 hours promised and longer battery lives and hard drives with flash stuff to save power etc, but if the os still drains 30% extra we are still at 2 hour operational.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X