Laptop buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop buying advice

I'm looking into buying a laptop soon, and wanted to check what others would pick or recommend.

What I'm looking for:
    • 14'', possibly 15'', screen, at a resolution of at least 1400x1050
    • Intel Core Duo CPU
    • min. 1 GB RAM, preferrably in 1 bank
    • min. 60 GB Hard Drive
    • 802.11g
    • Windows XP preinstalled
    • min. 3 hour battery life
    • <= 2.5 kg, at the most 3 kg

I don't specifically need an external graphic card, as I don't plan to use it for games.
    I don't feel like switching to a Mac either, even with Bootcamp.

It should, save me throwing it at the wall, last three years, and have no problems with Windows Vista. If it doesn't support the glassy style I can live with that.

Currenty I'm looking into this one: http://www5.pc.ibm.com/europe/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_UT063xx?OpenDocument
    Seems to be pretty much what I want, and I can get it for a good price.
    Anyone see or know anything bad about this model?

Thanks for your help.
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Hi Colin...

At last... I can offer you some advice... it's normally the other way around

Without doubt, I'd go for a Dell, model: probably a Latitude. I have had a Dell for nearly three years and have found it awesome. It has 1600*1200 resolution and is a cracking screen display. I will undoubtedly buy another one when the three years is up.

There's a large range of customisation options on each model, so there's bound to be one that matches your spec. Take a look at the Dell UK site and customise your own...

Good luck...
    John

Comment

I think Chris would recommend an Asus notebook. They are solid, well balanced, and lots of features
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Woo, glad you made this thread Colin I'm looking for a new one, too, with about those same specs

Will keep an eye on this thread

Comment

Dell, IMO, still makes the best laptops.

Comment

I am also in the market for another laptop. Most likely will be going with an Apple Macbook.

Comment

I agree, they're complete, nice looking and affordable. They'd be my alternative to a mac

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X