Popups in firefox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popups in firefox

In the last few months I've noticed more and more websites have implemented popup ads using JS whereby if you make one click on the page, even to click a link that is not a popup, a popup appears.

Any of you know any solution to the problem or a workaround?
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

You can't really avoid it since Firefox looks for window.open calls that were generated from a user initiated event. Click, key press etc.

You'd have to disable all popups.
    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

It's a cat-and-mouse game.
      BMW Forums | Car Wallpapers | Planet Yankees | My Blog

Comment

What about a little greasemonkey script to disable window.open notifiers coming from onclick events?

Comment

Possibly if you find it let me know

I've been noticing dilbert and sitepoint both do this now.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Even IMDB has started doing it now. It infuriates me I may have a crack at some of this greasemonkey stuff when my exams finish on wednesday. Add that to the 100 other things I want to do this summer

Comment

I've also had a few problems, but the popup blocker catches most of em...

MGM out

Comment

tried the adblock extension?

blocks pretty much everything for me.

http://adblock.mozdev.org/

Also, flashblock is another good one to use.
                Chamber of Secrets - The Ultimate Harry Potter Community!

Comment

NoScript complements AdBlock nicely, and so does Filterset.G and the Adblock Fitlerset.G Updater. I never get pop-ups, even the ones that get through Firefox's pop-up blocking that I have been hearing so much about lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C
                    Even IMDB has started doing it now. It infuriates me I may have a crack at some of this greasemonkey stuff when my exams finish on wednesday. Add that to the 100 other things I want to do this summer
                    These big(ger) sites are more and more doing it, it also drives people crazy which leads to more reneveu as they're more likely now to buy a subscription for a 'premium' or 'pro' account which is banner free.

There are more and more media coverage of this paid content, which is a bad things, as it gives a false impression that's what the users who browse the net want.

Of course, money wins, just like in real life. And they make money doing this, regardless of how many people really find it very annoying. To be honest, I haven't clicked a banner in years, too afraid it includes some exploit code for IE or something. I rather type down the URI manually.

The more advertisements appear on a site that I frequent visit, the less frequent I will visit it.

For example with sitepoint which Scott brought up. I now only use the RSS feeds because going to the site requires me to click twice as much as it used to. I already own a few of those books, stop trying to push down discounts in my mouth. I am not hungry anymore for more.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X