question about custom designs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about custom designs...

if i was to have a custom design made, would i then need to keep paying the designer each time the vbulletin software progressed? i currently use powerblue but its getting boring and i just saw the poker forum in another thread and it made me think of the possibilities...

It depends on the designer, I think. Some offer free upgrades to their products for an X amount of time after it's been made just for that instance that a new version of the software is released. Others charge to do skin upgrades (probably a fairly small fee if it's a minor update; bigger fees for larger upgrades).
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Yep, probably comes down to the amount of time it takes the designer to update the skin.
      BMW Forums | Car Wallpapers | Planet Yankees | My Blog

Comment

If it was a small upgrade for vB (ie: from 3.5.1 to 3.5.2) then I doubt they'd charge you (and if they do, I say screw em ). If it's a larger upgrade (say from 3.0.0 to 3.5.0) then yes, they probably will charge you as that requires far more work.

MGM out

Comment

I say only for next version upgrades only, we do it that way, so i guess most would, I.E. 3.5.4 upto 3.6.X or 4 would then be charged, but like others have said, if there is little template edits, then be free.

So designers base there styles on default templates, and most changes are to css and images, for us its all template, 100% edits on every template to make it Unique.

Comment

This is how I have done it from when I was selling my styles.

Users would buy the style with a one time fee and had access to the support forum where they could get the latest build. If there was an error reported the team would fix this and keep it ready for the next vb release. Once the new release got out the templates got updated and improved, things were optimized and the fixes were applied where needed and shared with the customers for free. This went from version 3.0.0 beta to 3.5.4 (though since we're no longer selling it support has been slacking haha - but we're still helping them fixing things).

I have seen other sites where they sell styles who sell the style and asked for $25 upgrade to each new vb version out. But honestly, most times the same style worked through a whole version.

This is a good pre-sales question for when you're going to hire a custom designer.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X