Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft

What OS Systems are you guys using if you hate Microsoft?

Right now RH 7.1

Comment

Re: Microsoft

Originally posted by Platform 9 3/4
      What OS Systems are you guys using if you hate Microsoft?
      Paper and pencil

Comment

MacOS

Comment

mac OS 9.0.4, mac OS 9.1, mac OS X, windows 98, windows 2000 professional, windows 2000 advanced server.

i want to build a linux system soon. m$ is great, but their consumer OSs suck big fatty. gotta go with 2000. my current fav OSs are mac OS X and win 2000 pro. both are very stable and very functional for my needs.

Comment

SuSE 6.3 right now
            will switch to Debian when I upgrade the computer, the apt get thing and .deb packages seems to be better than rpm's.
            For desktop stuff I don't want to stuff around and their system seems to make upgrades and installs very easy.

Comment

Well, MS Win2K Pro is the most stable of course ( however it's not as stable as *nix ). Slackware, Debian and SuSE are the best Linux distributions.

Comment

It isn't hooked up right now but I have an old Mac running MacOS 8.0
                Jordan Gadd
                Contact Information

Comment

Hmz. I have a few Macs running MacOS 9, and one on OSX (which is great and stable but slow)

Comment

yeah, Mac OS X still needs a lot of optimization. Plus it's a real RAM hog. 128MB minimum, it ran dog slow on my 192MB, when I upgraded to 320MB it made all the difference in the world.

I keep up with all the rumors and stuff for Macs. Supposedly Apple is currently Cocoa-izing and multithreading many of the core Finder funcitons right now. OS X updates are expected by late July to address many performance issues.

What's the best flavor of Linux? What about BSD? Is that worth running? I hear it's good.

Comment

I use FreeBSD on some of my servers, but Red Hat is good for someone starting out in linux, easy setup and to maintain, SuSE is also good for servers....

Comment

You know, I really see why people don't use Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                          OS X updates are expected by late July to address many performance issues.
                          Not to turn this into a Mac flaming thread (too late ), but it's interesting how OS X not only didn't ship with many promised features, but it needs an update to address "performance issues". NT/2K has service packs, but they are usually edge smoothing and security fixes, not updates to fix an OS that has issues running on 192MB of RAM.

Comment

Windows 2000 had some moderate disk caching issues that were fixed in SP2 recently.

Whatever dude. I like OS X. It's a completely new OS, these things are to be expected. I think I like OS X better than Win 2k except for the fact that Win 2k has a lot more games. I'm excited to see OS X beginning to become mainstream on the Mac platform. It's a truly awesome OS. At it's core it can be easily argued that OS X is much better than Win 2k. I mean... this is Unix people. I feel sorry for people that flame Macs. I wish everyone knew more about Macs. The whole "blind, attacking what you don't fully understand" thing is pretty old... yet everyone does it. I have never heard a good argument against Macs with the exception of the fact that PCs make way better gaming machines.

Regardless, I like owning the high end for both platforms. They both have their uses for me. Having just one or the other would severely cripple my computing experience.

The cool thing is that I can get a nice IT job just becasue I know everything about Macs. I'm talking a high school diploma, no college, no computer certs, and I get hired to work in a tech shop where they are paying for all my computer certs (A+, N+, part of MCSE, Compaq, HP, all the manufacturers, printers, etc.). Mac knowledge is almost as advantageous as an MCSE certificate in an urban area. Keep this in mind people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
                              Mac knowledge is almost as advantageous as an MCSE certificate in an urban area. Keep this in mind people.
                              Keep in mind that other knowledge is as valuable as Mac knowledge.
                              I don't blame MS, nor do I blame Mac or *nix. They have their uses.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X