Playstation 3 : $499-$599

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by C.Birch
    People are forgetting one big facter when putting the cut of the ps3 up with the 360.

The PS3 as Blu-Ray
    The 360 does not have HD-DVD but will have via a addon at a cost, what at a guess will be around £150-£200

360 Premium = £280 (No HD-DVD and only 20GB harddrive)
    PS3 Premium = around £340 ($599 is £319 right now) Comes with Blu-Ray and 60GB harddrive

So infact the 360 would cost more if it had HD-DVD and 60GB harddrive.
    But heres the catch.

Less than 10% of homes has an HDTV. The HD-DVD drive is an OPTIONAL attachment that I would figure less than half of those that own an Xbox 360 will get since most will have no need for HD-DVD. Its just there as an option, and is cheaper than getting the player. DVD is still the proven format that many people have no desire to move away from and is still proving effective.

Elder Scrolls Oblivian, which has over 100 hours of gameplay, hundreds of hours of voice acting, and next gen graphics only takes up about half a DVD. Its usually high res video that takes up the most space. And if they use more in-game graphics than video, DVD should be fine for quite awhile.

The only reason the PS3 is so expensive is because of the Blu-Ray drive. Sorry, but I have a regular 27" flat screen TV. I dont see a reason to pay $500 for a crippled system that has no upgrade path...or especially $600 for a system that so far at E3 has shown nothing the 360 can't or hasn't done.
    Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Thu 11 May '06, 2:02pm.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Birch
      People are forgetting one big facter when putting the cut of the ps3 up with the 360.

The PS3 as Blu-Ray
      The 360 does not have HD-DVD but will have via a addon at a cost, what at a guess will be around £150-£200

360 Premium = £280 (No HD-DVD and only 20GB harddrive)
      PS3 Premium = around £340 ($599 is £319 right now) Comes with Blu-Ray and 60GB harddrive

So infact the 360 would cost more if it had HD-DVD and 60GB harddrive.
      Very true, but does anyone need blu-ray yet? Wait a year and how much will a player cost, $100?

This is clearly one of the reasons to get a PS3 and it does help justify the cost, but I wonder by how much. Not to mention I bet blu-ray released movies are going to cost an absolute fortune to start with.

In my mind Sony screwed this up, each package is $100 too much. That could be the difference between them winning and lossing the DVD format wars, but we shall see.
      Christopher Padfield
      Web Based Helpdesk
      DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Who cares about Blue Ray? It's a dying breed just like the betamax.

Comment

You really don't know that. :-\

The wars between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray haven't even started yet, and Blu-Ray has alot more supporters this time around.

Say Blu-Ray is totally useless when some of the more powerful xb360 games have 2-3 discs to fill up the entire game (with the hd textures this will indefinantly happen.)

Comment

Originally posted by bfoot045
            You really don't know that. :-\

The wars between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray haven't even started yet, and Blu-Ray has alot more supporters this time around.

Say Blu-Ray is totally useless when some of the more powerful xb360 games have 2-3 discs to fill up the entire game (with the hd textures this will indefinantly happen.)
            An interesting article about this was written, and the fact that very few games on the market today use the entire DVD5 and DVD9 disc. (Plenty of space is left unused)
            Webmaster / Administrator
            www.MegaGames.com
            www.MGForums.com

Comment

I know that HD-DVD already has a larger library than BluRay and that MS is already backing HD-DVD as with a few other large corporations. I doubt BR will last.

Comment

The smartest thing Sony could have done is like what was done with DVD and the PS2. Start to penetrate the market with Blu-Ray. Let the price drop enough that integrating it into the PS4 wouldnt be as expensive, then push it.

Problem is, this round Sony cares more about pushing its Blu-Ray and Cell (almost forcing it) onto consumers than anything else. Proof of that is their lack of innovation and blatant stealing of Wii and 360 features. They were so busy trying to get Blu-Ray and Cell integrated they probably forgot about features. So in a last minute rush just decided to integrate as many 360 and Wii ideas/features as possible to compensate.

Sony I think just shot themselves in the foot. And if Blu-Ray fails or doesnt do as well as previously because the PS3 is too expensive for the average joe....Sony has themselves to blame. Its not the harcore gamers that make the system. Its the average joe. And this one is priced way out of most peoples price range.

I heard alot of parents complain about the high cost of the 360 premium. They'll have a freakin' aneurysm over the price of the PS3. And thats WITHOUT buying any games for it yet.

As for the people saying the HD-DVD price puts the 360 over the cost of the PS3, thats bunk. The majority of people will not buy the HD-DVD add on as is. Its there as an option. And no price has been announced yet anyways.

In Japan I'm sure they'll eat it up. Overseas...will no doubt be a different story.
                Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Sat 13 May '06, 3:48pm.

Comment

I've been waiting to get PS3, but the cost is a little scary, plus I might just get 360 because I want to play gears of war and lost world.
                  http://www.physicsforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by dethfire
                    I've been waiting to get PS3, but the cost is a little scary, plus I might just get 360 because I want to play gears of war and lost world.
                    Lost Planet you mean. I have played the demo for it, and the game is very fun. I'm interested in seeing the RPG elements later on.

Comment

I think PS3 is a good system that is worth having along with an Xbox 360.

Comment

Originally posted by [cadmus]
                        I think PS3 is a good system that is worth having along with an Xbox 360.
                        Perhaps... but definetly not at that price.
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I'll stick with 360 and Wii, maybe a reduced PS3 along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogden2k
                            Who cares about Blue Ray? It's a dying breed just like the betamax.
                            I have to agree with you, although I'm still sitting on the sidelines to see which format takes off and which one fades away..

The ps3 is overpriced, simple as that. The fact that the hardware is exotic doesn't help much aswell. Smells like the second coming of the Sega Saturn to me...

Comment

im waiting to play with the wii, i hope much

Comment

Chrisand I had this discussion the other day. I personally think that BluRay will go the way of Beta. it will likely be used in professional circles, but not by the average home user, mostly because of the price.
                                With the compression algorhythms being used by toshiba's HD-DVD, the effective storage capacity on a DL DVD are damned near doubled. Added to that, the DL DVD+/-R disks are already on the market, and are considerable cheaper that the BR disks.

Between Sony's penchant for overpricing and propietary hardware Ithinkt hey will lose yet another "Battle of the Recording Media" regardless of the superiority of their product.

Of course this doesn't even get into the morals of Sony frivilously litigating Constellation3D into bankruptcy to be able to all but steal the patents for FMD (Flourescent Multi-Layer Disk) technology and incorporate their superior qualities into BluRay
                                Webmaster:
                                @forumz

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X