This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simsim
    There will be grand mess & drama over the next week I guess! What will happen in the week before XP expires, Joe? Will there be a procedure for users to buy WinXP & then enter a validation key or will it really expire for ever?

Also, this may seem a foolish question, but is there any official mention of this policy by Microsoft or it was just left as a surprize?

I know of quite large corporates that run pirated copies of WinXP on their employees PCs. I wonder what would happen if the IT fellas set automatic updates to ON!
    No option to buy, it just expires after 1 week.. There was no public announcement "not yet anyway", but we knew about the update being released this month, i just didnt expect it so early in the month..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Heres the screenshots of what happens, when an illegal copy installs the update..

I guess that they are given the option to buy XP before the week is up..

http://www.microsoftforums.org/perso..._Illegal/1.JPG

http://www.microsoftforums.org/perso..._Illegal/2.JPG

http://www.microsoftforums.org/perso..._Illegal/3.JPG

http://www.microsoftforums.org/perso..._Illegal/4.JPG

Please dont post there screenshots on any other forums
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Thank you for that information!

I switched to Mac OS some time ago but my old PC is now setup as a server. To be honest, I am not quite sure if it's Windows is legal because I bought the PC with it installed and the store didn't give me a CD or something.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

Just because you don't have a cd doesn't mean its not legal. Lots of places store your restore info on the hard disk.

If you bought a name brand machine, Dell, HP, Compaq, you should be ok.

Comment

I don't see a reason to buy at Dell. I prefer to choose all hardware on my own and as a goodie they installed Windows XP Professional at no cost.

Well I'll see.. Windows XP isn't that expensive anymore and I am even wondering why Microsoft didn't do that earlier. They must have known from day 1 that most people are using an illegal version.
            That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase
              I don't see a reason to buy at Dell. I prefer to choose all hardware on my own and as a goodie they installed Windows XP Professional at no cost.

Well I'll see.. Windows XP isn't that expensive anymore and I am even wondering why Microsoft didn't do that earlier. They must have known from day 1 that most people are using an illegal version.
              Its impossible to beat dell on price for a computer that works. If you need/want specifics, you build your own.

Comment

I love dell laptops, i always build my own PCs, but if i was to get another laptop soon, it would be a dell... I have 2 Compaq Presario R3000's right now
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Heres what not to install to avoid all the hassle..

-----------------------------------------------

High-priority updates
                  Microsoft Windows XP
                  Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)

Download size: 829 KB , less than 1 minute
                  The Windows Genuine Advantage Notification tool notifies you if your copy of Windows is not genuine. If your system is found to be a non-genuine, the tool will help you obtain a licensed copy of Windows. Details...

Last edited by Joe Gronlund; Sat 6 May '06, 5:15pm.
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

I have a legal one, yet I have the fear of losing everything somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
                      I have a legal one, yet I have the fear of losing everything somehow.
                      I/ve installed that update on about 7 systems now since it was released lastnight, it has no affect on legal systems whatsoever. It's like the update wasnt even installed.
                      No need to worry Floris..
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Not that I am worried one single bit... I run legal here... but is the URL's Joe posted timing out for anybody else? Or does it just do that for legal systems?

Comment

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
                          Not that I am worried one single bit... I run legal here... but is the URL's Joe posted timing out for anybody else? Or does it just do that for legal systems?
                          lol,. I just rebooted my server, thats why hehe
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                            lol,. I just rebooted my server, thats why hehe
                            Oh. You run Windows eh?
                            Runs and hides.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                              You might want to turn off automatic updates, or you system will fail next week.

Not that i support piracy at all, i just figure i would warn you of the new update that makes your system unbootable after a week..
                              Does it apply to my (legitimate) Windows Server 2003 installation?
                              --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
                              Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
                              vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

Originally posted by TalkMilitary
                                Oh. You run Windows eh?
                                Runs and hides.
                                LOL,, no my server @ The Planet is running Redhat Linux Enterprise version 3 , i like to reboot once a month..

All my systems at home are Windows based though.
                                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X