Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A note to persons running illegal copies of Windows XP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A note to persons running illegal copies of Windows XP

    You might want to turn off automatic updates, or you system will fail next week.

    Not that i support piracy at all, i just figure i would warn you of the new update that makes your system unbootable after a week..
    MCSE, MVP, CCIE
    Microsoft Beta Team


  • #2
    Haha I can't wait for all the BS
    Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

    Comment


    • #3
      Apparently it puts a little blue star in the taskbar, and users are then prompted with the message that their copy of Windows XP will expire in one week..
      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
      Microsoft Beta Team

      Comment


      • #4
        Would be interesting to to see, no doubt. I have a friend that's been running XP Corporate since XP was released. I am not sure how he is still getting his updates, but automatic updates have yet to flag his copy nor has it rejected his serial number.

        I keep trying to get him to buy it, it'd be so much easier to just buy it over worrying what's going to happen, but he is reluctant to listen.

        I think I'll skip alerting him to this thread , maybe then he'll start listening to me .

        Comment


        • #5
          Geez, I hope this doesn't mess up legitimate copies. I somehow don't trust MS to get this right 100% of the time.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

          Steve Machol Photography


          Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Steve Machol
            Geez, I hope this doesn't mess up legitimate copies. I somehow don't trust MS to get this right 100% of the time.
            I installed the update on both of my XP machines lastnight steve, and everything is fine.. One weird thing that happen though is that it reset my automatic update options from download updates for me and let me choose when to install install them, to install automatically..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

            Comment


            • #7
              Joe, what if anything does it do to legitimate MSDN copys.

              Comment


              • #8
                I bought fresh OEM copies for my systems a while ago. Buy and key and don't give it out to anyone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Joe Gronlund
                  I installed the update on both of my XP machines lastnight steve, and everything is fine.. One weird thing that happen though is that it reset my automatic update options from download updates for me and let me choose when to install install them, to install automatically..
                  I have no doubt it will work for you and the majority of people. My concern is that this won't work 100% of the time.

                  For instance I had major PC problems earlier this week that damaged parts of my registry. What if MS decides that my copy (a purchased Win XP Pro) is not valid? What then?
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                  Steve Machol Photography


                  Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The fun part will be when store-made custom PCs with pirated copies of Windows (very common) start shutting down.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Zachery
                      Joe, what if anything does it do to legitimate MSDN copys.
                      Nothing at all, i use MSDN copies as well..
                      MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                      Microsoft Beta Team

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Steve Machol
                        I have no doubt it will work for you and the majority of people. My concern is that this won't work 100% of the time.

                        For instance I had major PC problems earlier this week that damaged parts of my registry. What if MS decides that my copy (a purchased Win XP Pro) is not valid? What then?
                        I'm sure youll be fine steve, the update reads from many sources of the registry to determine that the XP copy is not valid. But if you do have any problems let me know, and i can get it sorted out for you before anything happens to your system. But i am 99% sure you wont..
                        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                        Microsoft Beta Team

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jake Bunce
                          The fun part will be when store-made custom PCs with pirated copies of Windows (very common) start shutting down.
                          So glad i dont work at one jake. lol
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wow.. yea we dont have a reg cd it already came installed with the computer but we did go out and buy windows xp home as well..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              There will be grand mess & drama over the next week I guess! What will happen in the week before XP expires, Joe? Will there be a procedure for users to buy WinXP & then enter a validation key or will it really expire for ever?

                              Also, this may seem a foolish question, but is there any official mention of this policy by Microsoft or it was just left as a surprize?

                              I know of quite large corporates that run pirated copies of WinXP on their employees PCs. I wonder what would happen if the IT fellas set automatic updates to ON!
                              You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X