No announcement yet.

Show your p.c!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'll get a pic in a min once i clean my desk a bit (btw no it wont be my servers)

Comment

Celeron D 325 (2.53 GHz), 1 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive with no bay for expansion, no AGP slot, and integrated video. Yeah, you know you want it.

It'll be my Windows Server 2003 system. My main system sucks less, but what do you want for a $203 system? And only suckers pay the price Dell quotes.
      --filburt1, vBulletin.org/vBulletinTemplates.com moderator
      Web Design Forums.net: vB Board of the Month
      vBulletin Mail System (vBMS): webmail for your forum users

Comment

I would never buy a celeron though. Unless the only thing I do on it is write in notepad

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
          I would never buy a celeron though. Unless the only thing I do on it is write in notepad
          From what I understand, the first Celerons sucked but future ones are acceptable (P4 still better): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron .

Comment

Originally posted by filburt1

Celeron D 325 (2.53 GHz), 1 GB RAM, 80 GB hard drive with no bay for expansion, no AGP slot, and integrated video. Yeah, you know you want it.

It'll be my Windows Server 2003 system. My main system sucks less, but what do you want for a $203 system? And only suckers pay the price Dell quotes.
            Just curious how your getting 1GB of memory for $200? You obivously have coupon codes, but the lowest the system can go is $279 + $100 for ram which tells me you have coupons worth $176? On top of that you have your Windows 2003 lisence? Crazy
            Celerons are perfect in the server environment. If you can determine how much CPU speed your site will need, there is no reason to buy a market CPU that is never going to reach 100%. I wouldn't put a Celeron on my desktop to save my life, but I would definately put one in a server.
            Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Originally posted by tgillespie
              Just curious how your getting 1GB of memory for $200? You obivously have coupon codes, but the lowest the system can go is $279 + $100 for ram which tells me you have coupons worth $176? On top of that you have your Windows 2003 lisence? Crazy Celerons are perfect in the server environment. If you can determine how much CPU speed your site will need, there is no reason to buy a market CPU that is never going to reach 100%. I wouldn't put a Celeron on my desktop to save my life, but I would definately put one in a server.
              Dell Outlet + Windows 2003 trial for now (180 days, at which point I'll consider buying it). I got really lucky to find one preconfigured with 1 GB of RAM at that price, plus $9 in shipping and 5% of $203 in tax.

It's refurbished with a 90-day warranty.

Comment

Wow. Windows Server 2003 didn't include drivers for any of the basic devices in the system because they're all onboard. Setting stuff up at 800 x 600 with no audio and no network connection sucks.

But I now have a Windows Server 2003 system that will be my dedicated web, file, and database servers, plus Exchange when I figure it out. I easily configured IIS so that only members of the Windows domain can view pages; everybody else is denied access. Now my test vB forums will actually be legal by being protected from the outside. I set up Remote Desktop Connection so I can just leave the system on in the basement while I'm upstairs.

The Celeron is surprisingly fast. It boots faster than my desktop. Yes, that's because it has a quarter of the hardware attached to it, but it sounded good, didn't it?

Anybody know of client software that can run on Windows XP to remotely monitor a Windows Server 2003 system?

Comment

So true, i had one once for about a month. I opened up acdsee and it froze. What a joke..
                  MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                  Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Ritterz
                    I didn't mean inside your computer, I really ment outside. Like myne.
                    What if your computer doesn't have an outside at the moment? My PC is not in a case. I had a fan issue last week and until I can resolve it, it has been removed from the case and placed in the cabinet of my desk for better airflow and cooling with a nine inch house fan.

Waiting for this case and two 120 MM Fans. I just moved my wife's PC to the same case and it is a breeze to put together.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I know somebody that just bought that one! they love it

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        What if your computer doesn't have an outside at the moment? My PC is not in a case. I had a fan issue last week and until I can resolve it, it has been removed from the case and placed in the cabinet of my desk for better airflow and cooling with a nine inch house fan.

Waiting for this case and two 120 MM Fans. I just moved my wife's PC to the same case and it is a breeze to put together.
                        Wow, a case without a completely stupid placement of the USB/Firewire/etc. ports. No door, not on the size bezel, not on the top center, but somewhere you can actually get to.

Comment

You can dual boot to win xp on the mac too now, so shouldn't be a problem for windows users anymore.
                          Duel Boot I would like to know this. How does it work? What does it do? Are their more or less security bugs.

Comment

OH! And another question can you turn a PC into a MAC like I have a old pc and if I got a Mac OS X disk and installed it onto my old pc would it work? What do I need to do in order to make my pc work as a mac? Or should I just buy a MacBook Pro?

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon-x
                              OH! And another question can you turn a PC into a MAC like I have a old pc and if I got a Mac OS X disk and installed it onto my old pc would it work? What do I need to do in order to make my pc work as a mac? Or should I just buy a MacBook Pro?
                              One of my PCs was running OSX x86, so yes this is possible, but you are best off just buying a mac to get the full/best functionality.
                              Last edited by Vile; Thu 25 May '06, 2:43pm.
                              Webmaster / Administrator
                              www.MegaGames.com
                              www.MGForums.com

Comment